News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 175365 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2017, 05:40:32 am »
This is why software dev is an iterative process. A new version can always be implemented in the future. Good work!
That's true. I wanted to release a single polished version, but I'll probably come back to this one to add a few things.

absolutely! i'm more excited to get this than Odyssey tbh though. says a lot about the testament of devoted romhackers out there.
That sounds crazy to me  :P Thank you!

Finally got an RTA credits warp finished! Took me long enough...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203045521
Awesome! I wonder if the final version will be any different.

Well, the ending will change for sure  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 27, 2017, 10:23:50 am »
Last week of November, guys!
You know what that means...

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2017, 11:54:49 pm »
Haven't posted in a while on account of not having a computer, but it looks like this is coming along really well! Between this and Mario Odyssey, it's looking like a good year for the man in red.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2017, 01:08:31 pm »
This will be the best birthday and Christmas gift ever XD

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
I haven't shown any progress in a while on purpose, as I want you guys to be surprised with the final result.

ETA is Christmas Day :beer:

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:06 am »
This is a couple questions but, If Luigi enters Wario's Castle will Waluigi be the final boss instead but fought exactly the same? It would seem weird if Luigi fought Wario since there not as bad in terms. I do have spites for Waluigi if your looking for one.
I also presume that the 3-up Moons will replace the 3-up hearts?
https://www.mariowiki.com/3-Up_Moon

Also since Koopa Troopas don't walk off cliffs in the game I would correctly make there shells red, despite the artwork I linked you below showing them green which seems to be an error.

Is Luigi going to jump higher than Mario while being slippery with stopping himself and I am guessing being a little slower than Mario?

Here is something useful as well. https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins#Enemies_and_obstacles
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:01:08 am by Geoshi »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »
This is a couple questions but, If Luigi enters Wario's Castle will Waluigi be the final boss instead but fought exactly the same? It would seem weird if Luigi fought Wario since there not as bad in terms. I do have spites for Waluigi if your looking for one.
I also presume that the 3-up Moons will replace the 3-up hearts?
https://www.mariowiki.com/3-Up_Moon

Also since Koopa Troopas don't walk off cliffs in the game I would correctly make there shells red, despite the artwork I linked you below showing them green which seems to be an error.

Is Luigi going to jump higher than Mario while being slippery with stopping himself and I am guessing being a little slower than Mario?

Here is something useful as well. https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins#Enemies_and_obstacles
The final boss is always Wario. The story is about Wario taking over Mario’s castle, so when playing with Luigi just think he is helping his brother or something like that.

The 3-ups are also green mushrooms - it wouldn’t make much sense to change them for SMW’s moons when there are 5-ups, 10-ups, etc.

I get what you said about the Koopa Troopas - I think that has been discussed here, actually. They are green for the following reasons:
- In the official artwork they are green
- Not all Mario games have that mechanic - i.e. Yoshi’s Island
- It’s easier/more efficient to have them green for a few reasons
- All Koopa Troopas would be red as there are no Koopa Troopas with SMB’s green ones mechanic. That would be really unfortunate because as we all know the most iconic Koopa Troopa is the green shelled one

I’m trying to make Luigi slower to compensate for the rest of the physics, as his current higher vertical acceleration makes him faster. In any case he is just an addition to add a spin on the way you play the game, so I don’t think it really matters if he ends up being a bit unbalanced.

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »
I suppose that makes sense, It's funny how he is helping him get his castle when Luigi is the second banana.
Also I saw Fire Luigi having green fireballs which if that is a side effect of the color limit in the game that is actually neat. You could make his fireballs either go straight with a bit of waving like in Mario Bros's green fireballs and somewhat like Smash Bros green fireball or bounce higher like in Super Mario Advance 2 unless that is not possible.

Also for the Mario Bros actual fire colors you should give one to Wario as well I mean I know he never had one but it's pretty obvious how that is going to look anyways. (I assume he will shoot either giant yellow pink and red fireball?). This is my mock up of how he could look in the game but i made him a little closer to his artwork

As a suggestion i would make Mario and Luigi just simply flash in there normal and fire form when they touch the fire flower but if it's not possible then that is okay.

As for the Koopa Troopas. Yes they are green in the artwork but some enemies have inconsistent colors like Blurp is blue even though there Green. Oh yeah your right, strange how both the green and red koopas act exactly the same but are decoration in Yoshi's Island. Yeah keep them Green.

Regarding the 3up Moons, I don't see how that matters, Because the 5up, 10up, 20up etc. are not really an item as they can only be found in the slot mini games which doesn't really make it inconsistent but if they were a Mushroom/heart item than that would be forgiving to use the. the 1up and 3ups are items, Since the 1up and 3up hearts are different graphics you might as well use the 1up mushroom and the 3up Moon, especially it uses SMW's edited graphics and that the game came out after Super Mario World as well. It would seem rather to plain to use a 1up Mushroom with a 3 symbol on it even a 3up like moon appears in space zone. However if the 1up and 3up hearts/mushrooms share the same graphics but a 3 symbol is pasted onto the heart as a tile with transparency then that is actually fine then. :)

Speaking of which here is another mock up of some items along with the 1up/3up items.

taebot64

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2017, 04:18:53 am »
I haven't posted anything on here before (even tho I been here for 2 years). anyway I have been watching this project for awhile. I'm glad to see that its almost done! Good Luck! ;D

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 18, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
Really looking forward to this ROM!!! Already ordered an Everdrive X5 for this specifically. I read about people playing the demo, cannot find that one anywhere, am I just not looking in the right place or isn't it available anymore?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:19:21 pm by Koldur »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:14 pm »
Thanks guys  :beer:

Really looking forward to this ROM!!! Already ordered an Everdrive X5 for this specifically. I read about people playing the demo, cannot find that one anywhere, am I just not looking in the right place or isn't it available anymore?
Click on the image: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24251.msg345612#msg345612

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #271 on: December 19, 2017, 02:50:49 am »
Really looking forward to this Toruzz :3 Do you think you'd look at doing Mario Land 3 after this and TFFWTBT? I only ask because your colorizations are top notch and i'm checking your project pages every few days. That and with your SML2 colorization and the existing SML1 colorization, SML3 will be the only one in black and white as Wario Land 2 and 3 are both in color :3

I'm loving your little SML2 improvements too. Really stellar work. Usually i'm all about purity but i'd likely take your changes over the original hearts and stuff for continuity in the mario series and what not. Thanks for all your work :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:01:36 am by Shade Aurion »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 19, 2017, 03:02:31 am »
I have to say, when I got Super Mario Land 2 back in '99 for my Game Boy Color, I always dreamed of the game being remade in full color. It's so awesome that you're fulfilling that wish that I had when I was a kid.  :beer:

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:06 am »
Really looking forward to this Toruzz :3 Do you think you'd look at doing Mario Land 3 after this and TFFWTBT? I only ask because your colorizations are top notch and i'm checking your project pages every few days. That and with your SML2 colorization and the existing SML1 colorization, SML3 will be the only one in black and white as Wario Land 2 and 3 are both in color :3

I'm loving your little SML2 improvements too. Really stellar work. Usually i'm all about purity but i'd likely take your changes over the original hearts and stuff for continuity in the mario series and what not. Thanks for all your work :D
Thanks! I think I already said this, but I'll probably move on to other things after I finish both hacks. However, I'll (eventually) release SML2DX's source code, which may help someone starting a colorization hack. I'd be glad to help  :)

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 19, 2017, 03:47:01 pm »
Thanks guys  :beer:
Click on the image: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24251.msg345612#msg345612

Thanks! Got it now, good luck on your final touches on this one!!

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2017, 03:32:31 am »
The countdown begins!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2017, 06:20:39 am »
Super Mario Land 2 DX Launch Trailer: https://youtu.be/ykXVUJ3tBuY

I hope you enjoy it! http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3784/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:41:46 am by toruzz »

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2017, 07:13:38 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/submissions/QueueStatus/  ;D

Cool! So, if I understand it correctly, you submitted the patch and the mods have to check it and when they do, we can download it? Merry Christmas!!

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2017, 07:39:23 am »
<3

InvitationToHades

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2017, 07:42:31 am »
Super Mario Land 2 DX Launch Trailer: https://youtu.be/ykXVUJ3tBuY

I hope you enjoy it! http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3784/
First and foremost, thank you so much for all your hard work! I just wanted to ask a quick question regarding the additions you made to the game. Will they be revealed through normal game play or are they hidden secrets for us to find?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:10:45 am by InvitationToHades »