News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 182926 times)

Vortiene

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:50 am »
I'm a huge fan of your work already Toruzz! I'm extremely excited for both For The Bell The Frog Tolls and Super Mario Land 2 DX.  Hopefully you'll consider doing colorization hacks in the future like Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, because you have real talent. Thank you for all the hard work you've done thus far!!!! ;D

Should continue to focus on those 2 until they're ready to be released, let's not get too ambitious too quickly.

Blaze Uchiha

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
Agreed. Just a suggestion ;D

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2017, 09:21:36 am »
excited for sml2.

Blaze Uchiha

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »
I'm excited for both ;D Just beat For The Frog The Bell Tolls today. It's an awesome game(although it's really short - it only only took me 2 days and I could've done it in one if I didn't put it down). If you haven't played it yet I suggest you do so, you won't regret it :P

InvitationToHades

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:10 pm »
Randomly browsing through the personal projects and stumbled across this thread. I read ever single post and watched every one of your progress videos. This project is amazing. You have breathed life into an old game to give it another chance. I cannot wait for its release. Keep up the amazing work.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2017, 08:53:54 am »
Thank you, guys  :beer:

Big news coming soon.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2017, 12:31:32 pm »
waiting in eager anticipation!!!

looks PERFECT so far!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2017, 01:21:22 pm »
I was going through the thread and saw this reply from toruzz:

GB and GBC binaries are identical, so it doesn't matter if you use .gb or .gbc extension. The header tells the hardware (or the emulator) that it is a GBC game.

Makes me wonder, how exactly does an emulator/hardware check for that?
Like what exactly in the header tells the hardware that it is a GBC game and not GB only?

I was wondering if modifying the header for certain games that game special GBC palettes to being forced into GBC mode always.
Would you mind explaining this a bit more in detail?
I want to know if this can be done for games like Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2, to force their GBC palettes all the time, perhaps Donkey Kong for GB could be modified as well to force the GBC/SGB palette every single time as well.

Dragoonglue

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
Makes me wonder, how exactly does an emulator/hardware check for that?
Like what exactly in the header tells the hardware that it is a GBC game and not GB only?
It's a byte on the internal name of the game what determines if it's a GBC game or not http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/The_Cartridge_Header#0143_-_CGB_Flag

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »
I want to know if this can be done for games like Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2, to force their GBC palettes all the time, perhaps Donkey Kong for GB could be modified as well to force the GBC/SGB palette every single time as well.
The GBC palettes for (well, most of the Nintendo GB games) are coded into the GBC boot ROM. The boot ROM detects those games and loads the default palette if it doesn't find one. So you need to set up the emulator to run the boot ROM before the game and in theory it should work regardless of extension if you force GBC mode as well. No ROM hacking needed.
For dual-compatible games, they can detect which hardware they are running on by the value in A as the game boots (the GB/GBC boot ROMs write a different value to disable the boot ROM as an additional sign to the game what hardware they are on).
If you want SGB, then force SGB in your emulator. If you're thinking of hacking the game to force SGB because you want to play the hacked ROM on a flashcart or something on real hardware, I think SGB palettes are applied on the SNES side.
If you want to do what Pokemon Yellow did and use SGB palettes on the GBC well then you have a lot of per-game ASM hacking work ahead of you. Pretty much the same as any "colorization" hack.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2017, 05:08:05 pm »
The GBC palettes for (well, most of the Nintendo GB games) are coded into the GBC boot ROM. The boot ROM detects those games and loads the default palette if it doesn't find one. So you need to set up the emulator to run the boot ROM before the game and in theory it should work regardless of extension if you force GBC mode as well. No ROM hacking needed.
For dual-compatible games, they can detect which hardware they are running on by the value in A as the game boots (the GB/GBC boot ROMs write a different value to disable the boot ROM as an additional sign to the game what hardware they are on).
If you want SGB, then force SGB in your emulator. If you're thinking of hacking the game to force SGB because you want to play the hacked ROM on a flashcart or something on real hardware, I think SGB palettes are applied on the SNES side.
If you want to do what Pokemon Yellow did and use SGB palettes on the GBC well then you have a lot of per-game ASM hacking work ahead of you. Pretty much the same as any "colorization" hack.
I did have the idea that the palettes were stored in the GBC bios, but I just wanted to make that I couldn't force the GBC mode for emulators which don't support the BIOS yet :P
Thank you for the explanation, Mike :)

And I will not derail the thread again with this. lol

Vinci2000

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2017, 01:41:23 pm »
I just redid the SML2DX cover, so the Shark clips on the GBC border.

CrazyMaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:26 am »
I still love this Hack, do you know about Goomba GBA for a GBA Flashcard ?
I have play the Pokemon Red Colour Mod and Goombata going down on 50 % Speed :(
I hope I can Play your Hack in Full speed after Release on my GBA  :D

Oh_DeeR

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2017, 04:26:26 pm »
SML2 turns 25 tomorrow.

Great project, toruzz!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2017, 04:53:09 am »
I guess Super Mario Land 2's 25th Anniversary should be celebrated, shouldn't it?  ;D

Click on the image to download a small teaser demo:

But if you want the full hack you won't be waiting long - Super Mario Land 2 DX will be released this December!

Stremon

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2017, 06:07:00 am »
I guess Super Mario Land 2's 25th Anniversary should be celebrated, shouldn't it?  ;D

Click on the image to download a small teaser demo:

But if you want the full hack you won't be waiting long - Super Mario Land 2 DX will be released this December!
Wow that's awesome !
Thank you so much, that's a great christmas gift you do to us  :thumbsup:

RodriTaku

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:47 am »
Wow! This is awesome, Toruzz!
I've just tried it and noticed something. Is this highlight supposed to look like that?

https://imgur.com/a/3pUs7
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:16:10 am by RodriTaku »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2017, 10:40:05 am »
Just in time for my birthday!
What an awesome gift! :D

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:07 pm »
Undoubtedly this will be a GREAT Christmas gift!  :thumbsup:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »
I checked out the demo, it looks really good and Luigi was fun to play as well.

You're doing a excellent job on your project, keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:44:25 pm by SCD »