News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 162724 times)

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
I've built a backlit GBC using an AGS 101 screen, and I can't wait to play this on it!

How is that possible?

richisawesome

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:28 am »
How is that possible?

Bennvenn made an adapter (now sold out)

This is my GBC. The first shot was before I sealed the top half, it's seamless now:

It's pretty sweet, fixes the main issue with the GBC.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:56:32 am by richisawesome »

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2017, 01:56:23 pm »
How is that possible?

Bennvenn has ribbon cables that allow for it with a bit of soldering and a lot of shaving off the shell. The case itself can no longer be screwed shut though and you'd need to wire in your own power LED because the original wouldn't have any space.

It's not entirely optimal. He's working on another setup that uses a different, non-gba screen that fits in the case better. I'd honestly wait for that.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:02 pm »
I've built a backlit GBC using an AGS 101 screen, and I can't wait to play this on it!

Brotha, what kind of console mod did you do?

And where can we see it?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:22 pm »
Looking great. This is one game I've never really put much time into.

...but for some reason, I've beaten the crappy first game twice!

Haha, I can say the same.  :P  I beat the crappy first game multiple times, but for some reason I never played this game.  This looks a lot like SMW.  Is it similar?  Looks really fun!

This hack looks really nice, too!  The colors are very appealing.

richisawesome

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2017, 03:45:27 pm »
Brotha, what kind of console mod did you do?

And where can we see it?

Heh, well I've got a post above detailing it, but it's awaiting moderator approval.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2017, 05:58:13 pm »

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2017, 10:37:25 am »
It's not entirely optimal. He's working on another setup that uses a different, non-gba screen that fits in the case better. I'd honestly wait for that.

That would be nice. AGS-101s are already expensive enough, I don't see much sense in cannibalizing it into something that won't play GBA games anymore.

I bought a couple front-light kits, but the loca that was recommended isn't sold anymore, and I haven't taken the time to research other brands.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »
That would be nice. AGS-101s are already expensive enough, I don't see much sense in cannibalizing it into something that won't play GBA games anymore.

I bought a couple front-light kits, but the loca that was recommended isn't sold anymore, and I haven't taken the time to research other brands.

And about the GB Colour sold in the asian market? Is it a good thing?

richisawesome

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »
That would be nice. AGS-101s are already expensive enough, I don't see much sense in cannibalizing it into something that won't play GBA games anymore

Gah...

This is a massive misconception I keep seeing over and over again online when it comes to GBC and GBA backlit mods.

This mod does *not* work with the brown tab genuine screens found inside AGS 101 consoles. If you did decide to take the screen from one, it won't work with this mod! They're a different spec to the one its designed for (the adapter isn't just a cable, it's got a CPLD written with a firmware for translating the image and centering it properly).

I used an aftermarket third party screen, same for my GBA mods, purchased from Aliexpress. They're widely available for as cheap as £25 each: http://s.aliexpress.com/emAVbUZ3

And from my experience, they're actually better than the ones found in the SP as they have significantly less ghosting but are otherwise identical.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:43:19 pm by richisawesome »

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
This is a massive misconception I keep seeing over and over again online when it comes to GBC and GBA backlit mods.

Indeed, but the main downsides of the current ribbon kit mod to backlight the GBC with a 101-style screen are that the case cannot be screwed shut properly anymore (has to be sealed with a sealant or tape), the power LED must be replaced with a smaller one or completely removed, and you have to dremel away a heck of a lot of the edges of the case to fit the screen within, making it structurally weaker. Rather than the price of an AGS-101-style screen being the main issue, it's these previously mentioned factors that result in the mod being suboptimal.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »
GBC frontlights work pretty well if you adhere them with LOCA, since that removes most of the washed-out mirroring you get otherwise.

Exceptional work on the patch so far.  You're doing a great job with these colorizations!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »
Not want to be that guy...
But please stay on topic, guys.
Leave the GBC talk to another thread, keep this one focused on the main project at hand.

I say it before an admin does :P

Damonp

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
Yeah, I second shadow. You guys are getting a little too off-topic. This thread is supposed to be about the near-godlike Toruzz's efforts to make a color hack of Super Mario Land 2, not GBC backlighting, though that is an awesome topic. Also, Richisawesome? I friggin' LOVE that you featured Wario Land 3 and a Zelda oracle game in your pictures. Two of my favorite games on GBC. Also, I appreciate the pokemon theme for your final pic.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
Reading through all the posts on here, looks like there will be two patches. The complete one and a "purist" one. Can there be a third middle-ground patch? I like all your announced extra features (Luigi, physics, etc., and whatever else you've be hinting at recently). But for the item/powerup sprites, I prefer the ones from the original game because it gives the game some of its unique personality. I don't want to lose all the other cool new things you've added just to restore a handful of sprites though. Or maybe provide instructions on how we might do this manually after the fact? Unless a simple tile editor will suffice, then no real point to my request.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:11 am »
Reading through all the posts on here, looks like there will be two patches. The complete one and a "purist" one. Can there be a third middle-ground patch? I like all your announced extra features (Luigi, physics, etc., and whatever else you've be hinting at recently). But for the item/powerup sprites, I prefer the ones from the original game because it gives the game some of its unique personality. I don't want to lose all the other cool new things you've added just to restore a handful of sprites though. Or maybe provide instructions on how we might do this manually after the fact? Unless a simple tile editor will suffice, then no real point to my request.

IIRC the purist patch will be just that.
All the added bonuses BUT with the original sprites.
While the new, full patch will have proper Mario sprites and items, like the 1-Up Mushroom and Fire Mario in white/red clothing instead of the feather.

Correct me if I'm wrong, toruzz :P

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »
IIRC the purist patch will be just that.
All the added bonuses BUT with the original sprites.
While the new, full patch will have proper Mario sprites and items, like the 1-Up Mushroom and Fire Mario in white/red clothing instead of the feather.

Correct me if I'm wrong, toruzz :P
Actually TRIFORCE89 is right - the purist patch won't include any changes or additions other than the color. I think that's what makes the most sense, but keep in mind that I'll release the source code so tweaking it however you want shouldn't be difficult. In this case it's just a couple of sprite changes and palette swaps, which is really simple to do.

EDIT: I just uploaded a new video  :beer:
https://youtu.be/OQ1FFdfCm-w
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:08:35 pm by toruzz »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »
Actually TRIFORCE89 is right - the purist patch won't include any changes or additions other than the color. I think that's what makes the most sense, but keep in mind that I'll release the source code so tweaking it however you want shouldn't be difficult. In this case it's just a couple of sprite changes and palette swaps, which is really simple to do.

Ah I see, so he was right after all.
Well, if you don't mind, once the hack is out, I could try to tackle that.
As long as it's a sprite and palette change, I could try it out with bare bones hacking instead of the source code. :P

And if I manage to do it, would it be okay if I add it into your main hack as an optional patch?
Or as a separate hack altogether?

Also, nice to see how the project is progressing :D
We got to see some sweet ants and fire now haha :P

Stremon

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2017, 08:03:22 am »
Wow that's gorgeous, you did such a great job on this patch, can't wait to try it out  ;D

Blaze Uchiha

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2017, 03:23:09 pm »
I'm a huge fan of your work already Toruzz! I'm extremely excited for both For The Bell The Frog Tolls and Super Mario Land 2 DX.  Hopefully you'll consider doing colorization hacks in the future like Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, because you have real talent. Thank you for all the hard work you've done thus far!!!! ;D