News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 182696 times)

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:27 pm »
https://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585934-super-mario-land-2-6-golden-coins/faqs/53507

Check out this map, Pumpkin Zone looks so cool in this. The autumn colors fit in much better for the theme. I don't know if it's even doable in the real game though, but it would be cool.

anyways i am EAGERLY awaiting this release (and For the Frog too, i had just started a playthrough of that, but decided to wait for color)

Also here is a thing if you could implement would be real nice. If you could make the secret levels accessible from the overworld. As it is (i think) you have to actually enter the level with the secret exit every time you want to play the secret level it leads to.

-edit-
that may be too hard to add, but here is a thought. like SMW mark the 3 stages with secret exits with a red dot on the map and the others with yellow dots! that would be cool
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:24:49 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »
I wanna ask how all of this is gonna work, because if I remember correctly, you made a special splash screen that said that this hack couldn't be played in a normal Game Boy. If I'm not mistaken, that would involve converting the .gb file to a .gbc file. But that would require a special patcher that is neither Lunar IPS or Delta Patcher. Is that true?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:05 pm »
Tree Zone's overworld final look:

Those poor, poor repro sellers, nobody thinks about them do they ?

That was sarcasm btw.
Obviously I don't care about those people, but I understand that some people prefer physical cartridges.

https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins#Revisional_Differences
Thanks!

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585934-super-mario-land-2-6-golden-coins/faqs/53507

Check out this map, Pumpkin Zone looks so cool in this. The autumn colors fit in much better for the theme. I don't know if it's even doable in the real game though, but it would be cool.
That looks really cool, but the way I've made the overworld I can't implement it.

anyways i am EAGERLY awaiting this release (and For the Frog too, i had just started a playthrough of that, but decided to wait for color)

Also here is a thing if you could implement would be real nice. If you could make the secret levels accessible from the overworld. As it is (i think) you have to actually enter the level with the secret exit every time you want to play the secret level it leads to.
Thanks! I'll announce something related to that.

-edit-
that may be too hard to add, but here is a thought. like SMW mark the 3 stages with secret exits with a red dot on the map and the others with yellow dots! that would be cool
I like it :) Not sure if that's feasible though, but I'll look into it.

I wanna ask how all of this is gonna work, because if I remember correctly, you made a special splash screen that said that this hack couldn't be played in a normal Game Boy. If I'm not mistaken, that would involve converting the .gb file to a .gbc file. But that would require a special patcher that is neither Lunar IPS or Delta Patcher. Is that true?
GB and GBC binaries are identical, so it doesn't matter if you use .gb or .gbc extension. The header tells the hardware (or the emulator) that it is a GBC game.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »
The final look for Tree Zone looks great, you did a great job on it.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:52 am »
I love the idea of changing the colors to Yellow and Red for secret areas.

I played this game recently and had to watch you tube videos on how to get to the secret areas, If they were colored it would be soooo much easier.  :thumbsup:

But I understand limitations all to well if it can't be done.

CrazyMaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2017, 09:10:31 am »
This Project is so Amazing, I must start to cry  :laugh:
My lovely Game in this Beautiful style...
I hope you finished soon the first Demo

:D

richisawesome

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2017, 11:02:32 am »
Does the mapper change mean it won't work on an Everdrive GB?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
here is a really radical idea (that i have seen put into SMB3 through hacks) would be a item select box.

keep a flower stored in the box and a carrot on mario and press the select button to swap them out.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1658/

no idea how hard this would be to work out though. it just works like a charm for SMB3 though.

Just trying to think of a few gameplay hacks to really kick this game up a notch other than a "just color" hack. which to be totally honest would be just fine with me, but still thought i'd throw some ideas out there.

also, it's a shame that Pumpkin Zone cant get a super cool autumn theme (that is underdone in Mario games i think) but if it cant be worked out, then it cant be worked out.

also, i'm excited about
Thanks! I'll announce something related to that.

are you gonna add a way to reach Space Zone without having to beat Hippo every time? if so i love you! lol

-edit-
just realized that there are MORE than 3 levels with secret exits, there is just 3 that lead to areas off the submaps. no idea why this is, but that would mean even more levels that need red dots!

i made a mock up of what Tree World would look like with the colored dots, but am unsure how to upload it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:09:08 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »
here is a really radical idea (that i have seen put into SMB3 through hacks) would be a item select box.

keep a flower stored in the box and a carrot on mario and press the select button to swap them out.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1658/

no idea how hard this would be to work out though. it just works like a charm for SMB3 though.

I wouldn't bring that much complexity into this hack, it should be kept feasible otherwise it will have too many features and will be hard to be motivated to implement everything fully. Also, it's supposed to be "just" a color hack. Bringing in features from other games I think should be kept separate.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2017, 09:17:55 pm »
I agree, You don't want to get too far from the original game while doing a re-color. However adding something more complex could be an awesome idea but for a different type of project or improvement where it would give you the option to have the extra stuff but also have the option to leave it original.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2017, 01:29:07 am »
Just trying to think of a few gameplay hacks to really kick this game up a notch other than a "just color" hack. which to be totally honest would be just fine with me, but still thought i'd throw some ideas out there.
JUST A COLOR HACK?!

The heck are you talking about.
Have you not seen the updates of the previous 8 pages?

He is adding proper Mario items into the game which were changed due to the greyscale limitation (feather for Fire Mario, Heart instead of 1-Up mushroom, etc), and he is releasing also a faithful patch which keeps those items in just for those who want them.

Not only that, but he made LUIGI MOTHERFUCKING MARIO (cause that's his last name) as a playable character with new physics exclusive for him.
And he has even said that he will be adding more stuff yet to be announced, and yet you call it "just color hack"?!

The nerve xD

I think what toruz has made is incredible so far, he overdid everything I could ask about a DX version of this game, and he went above and beyond that.
The item box idea is okay but kind of out of scope imo.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2017, 02:58:01 am »
The nerve xD

People without the proper experience don't understand the amount of work it takes to do alterations like this. They usually have very limited skill themselves but will gladly share opinions and ideas anyway.

Still Toruzz is a veteran hacker - I'm sure he does not get discouraged by such nonsense.

/dACE

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2017, 09:11:42 am »
This hack is shaping up nicely, I'm really looking forward to the final release. SML2 is one of those games that I replay every now and then, and once this hack comes out I'll probably play that instead. :P

Not sure if it's said enough, but great job on this!

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2017, 10:06:03 pm »
ok, so im not sure why the heck the last several posters have jumped down my throat over this

The hack is everything i could ever want in SML2, tbh. i dont need Luigi but i appreciate him being included. just thought i would throw out some ideas (dont see anyone else giving any)

-QUOTE from toruzz-
Aside from the colorization, I’m thinking of adding and changing around a few things
-QUOTE from toruzz-

see, toruzz actually said this? so why the heck berate me for offering my opinion on something i think that would be neat

-QUOTE from dACE-
People without the proper experience don't understand the amount of work it takes to do alterations like this. They usually have very limited skill themselves but will gladly share opinions and ideas anyway.
-QUOTE from dACE-

i have absolutely ZERO experience with hacking or translating on games, that does NOT mean that i am ungrateful to the people that DO take the time to make these things that allow me to play. i have LOTS of experience enjoying other people's work.

also, i'm quite aware that "the amount of work it takes" can be very extensive, just exactly HOW extensive, i have no idea, but i do know that you cant just punch in a line of code and add stuff like this in.

as for you saying that us poor  "very limited" people, that "will gladly share opinions and ideas anyway". Hell yes, i will give any opinion i please. it lets toruzz know that there is interest in his great project and might spark some ideas if he would want to implement them.

Hell someone else might see it and decide to make a SMW style SML2 hack separately. IDK.

i just dont see how throwing ideas out there could possibly hurt either.

and, toruzz, please dont mistake my throwing ideas out there as ANY form of scorn for you or your project. i have nothing but respect for you and the work you have done to get this hack to where it is (AWESOME). 

ps-sorry for my profane language, i say the H word sometimes when i'm pissed.

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:55 pm »
ok, so im not sure why the heck the last several posters have jumped down my throat over this

There's no need to type all that drama out, this is a thread to talk about the hack. Just focus on that. Ignore unrelated stuff.

Storing items sounds like something that would be contained in a separate hack due to the level of complexity and the potential for bugginess. Additionally, the game would have been balanced with the fact that you couldn't store items, and introducing this functionality would likely disrupt that balance.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:02:30 am by Vortiene »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2017, 09:49:45 am »
There's no need to type all that drama out, this is a thread to talk about the hack. Just focus on that. Ignore unrelated stuff.

Storing items sounds like something that would be contained in a separate hack due to the level of complexity and the potential for bugginess. Additionally, the game would have been balanced with the fact that you couldn't store items, and introducing this functionality would likely disrupt that balance.

me, drama? lol. look at the reactions to my suggestion, thats drama.

also, SMB3 was not designed with this feature in mind, but that hack makes the game more streamlined and modernized, i just thought it would be AN IDEA, JEEZ.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
It's okay guys, let's focus on the hack as Vortiene said. As always, your feedback and support is greatly appreciated  :beer:

I just uploaded a new video (sorry, it doesn't feature a lot of new things!):
https://youtu.be/W1T3DwGI3HY

Does the mapper change mean it won't work on an Everdrive GB?
Of course it will! It just means that it will be a bit more difficult to find a donor for a repro cart.

That's a bit beyond the aim of the project for the reasons given before. It could be cool for a separate hack, though :)

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2017, 04:54:45 pm »
It's okay guys, let's focus on the hack as Vortiene said. As always, your feedback and support is greatly appreciated  :beer:

As for the 32KB save size, bennvenn has some stuff that would be compatible. They're not easily mass produced, so enthusiasts still have a route to make something physical for fun.

richisawesome

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2017, 12:28:28 am »
Oh that's great!

I've built a backlit GBC using an AGS 101 screen, and I can't wait to play this on it!

Just watched the newest video and I'm pretty much blown away - the amount of effort and attention to detail here is insane

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2017, 03:44:06 am »
I checked out the video, you did a great job on the colors for everything in the Tree Zone stages.