News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 163058 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2017, 09:43:26 pm »
I feel that the moon ground color should be the same color as the spikes that you have there.  Otherwise it looks like it could be snow.
Hmm... I made a quick mockup and I like it. I might change it.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2017, 12:08:10 pm »
Looks much better dude. :thumbsup:

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2017, 12:44:34 pm »
Yes, definitely improved. The white one looks great, BTW :beer:

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2017, 05:28:15 pm »
Hmm... I made a quick mockup and I like it. I might change it.

I still prefer the old brighter version.
I don't think it looks like snow.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:24:18 pm by Mattiac »

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2017, 07:34:49 pm »
I'm all about the dark side of the moon look

retroverse

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »
I wanted to see what Sephirous' suggestion of a yellow-ish ground colour would look like, since the moon is a similar colour on the world map, so I've had a go at mocking this up too...  I've uploaded a cropped sample as my avatar temporarily, although I do have a more complete version of the whole screen.  (I don't have anywhere else to load it.)  I like the contrast and added colour, but possibly it looks too close to sand?

Of the two shades of grey, I prefer the darker one.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2017, 11:34:49 pm »
Played the first level to get psyched for this upcoming release.  Note to self.  Must figure out how to turn run button into walk button and submit as separate hack.  Seriously, when does one NOT want to run in this game?

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2017, 08:21:06 am »
I wanted to see what Sephirous' suggestion of a yellow-ish ground colour would look like, since the moon is a similar colour on the world map, so I've had a go at mocking this up too...  I've uploaded a cropped sample as my avatar temporarily, although I do have a more complete version of the whole screen.  (I don't have anywhere else to load it.)  I like the contrast and added colour, but possibly it looks too close to sand?

I appreciate your effort, but it does looks too close to sand...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
Honestly, I like the original mockups more than the sandy look.

Perhaps have one level have the brighter palette, and the other have the darker palette? Then it would be like you've traveled to the darkside of the moon for the other level.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:07 pm »

Thank you for the mockup, but I agree that it looks a bit too sandy.

Perhaps have one level have the brighter palette, and the other have the darker palette? Then it would be like you've traveled to the darkside of the moon for the other level.  :thumbsup:
Hmm, I dig it. Although I'm giving all the secret stages an alternate palette, so that's another possibility.

Draygone

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2017, 01:32:28 pm »

I know I'm late to respond to this, but it looks nice.  I think Mario and Luigi need some shading to help them match the original art a bit more, though.  And of course, gotta have that "Only For" message in the corner, since this is not a backwards-compatible game.

And nobody answered this: in regards to why some GBC games were backwards-compatible and others weren't, it came down to memory and complexity of the graphics.  In the case of Pokemon Crystal, they added animations for all 250+ pokemon as well as other features, which left them no room for black & white version of the graphics (or for that matter, Super Game Boy graphics, which Gold & Silver had features for).  And then there are games like Dragon Warrior III, which also had animated monster sprites as well as SNES-quality maps, making it doubly impossible for them to make the game work in four shades of grey.

The alternate patch won't have any unnecessary modifications, so there is no Luigi, the statusbar remains white, Fire Mario have a feather, the 1-UP is a heart, etc.

Wait, Mario won't have his feather in the main patch?  Why not?  I feel like it was about as iconic as the bunny ears.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
Wait, Mario won't have his feather in the main patch?  Why not?  I feel like it was about as iconic as the bunny ears.
I think I already commented on this, but basically I concluded that the feather and the 1-UP heart don't make sense in a color game as they only exist because of DMG's limitations. The alternate patch is for anyone that disagrees.

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »
I think I already commented on this, but basically I concluded that the feather and the 1-UP heart don't make sense in a color game as they only exist because of DMG's limitations. The alternate patch is for anyone that disagrees.

The alternate patch is for me then, Toruzz-san! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I want the feather and 1-UP heart.

July 14, 2017, 06:08:04 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

That is a really good idea, Bahamut ZERO-san! ^_^

July 14, 2017, 06:20:40 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Toruzz-san, what version of the ROM should I have to be able to use your patch once it's been released? Thank you in advance for your reply! :cookie: Have a nice weekend! ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:20:40 am by Mattiac »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2017, 12:00:19 pm »
this looks amazing, i prefer the first waterpic and i prefer the lighter moon.

the water level looks more like SMB3 to me in the first pic and SMW in the second (so i prefer the first)

the moon looks good dark, but i feel like the item box is too lit up for the ground to be that dark.

also i get where the ground being yellow on the moon is coming from, how about could you make the moon on the overworld grey, to match the grey ground on the moon, and keep tha star yellow (of course, lol) would it look funny for them to be that different side by side?

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2017, 07:50:00 pm »
I think the brighter Moon looks better. :thumbsup:

I now understand why the Yellow wouldn't work, It did look like a desert setting from SMB3.

Baby Humphrey

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
it looks amazing! :thumbsup: when are you going to release it?

Hylian Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
I made an account just to comment on how amazing this hack looks.
Also thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on the moon color while I'm at it:
I think that with the right set of colors yellow could work on the moon - between the spacesuit and the lighter gravity, I think that it would feel more like a rocky lunar surface during game play rather than a desert.
I made a mockup based partially off the moon from Yoshi's Island:

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »
Thank you for the support, guys. I've changed, optimized and added a lot of stuff since the last post or video, so I'll probably upload a new one soon.

For those interested in making a repro cart, I had to expand the WRAM to 32kB :(
It's 1MB ROM, 32kB WRAM MBC5 now.

Toruzz-san, what version of the ROM should I have to be able to use your patch once it's been released? Thank you in advance for your reply! :cookie: Have a nice weekend! ;)
Hmm... I'm using v1.0 UE as a base, but I guess I could adapt it to 1.2. Does anyone have a change list?

it looks amazing! :thumbsup: when are you going to release it?
When it's finished. I can't say how much time it's going to take, but I'm progressing at a really good pace  :beer:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:57:29 pm by toruzz »

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2017, 03:26:29 am »
For those interested in making a repro cart, I had to expand the WRAM to 32kB :(
It's 1MB ROM, 32kB WRAM MBC5 now.

Those poor, poor repro sellers, nobody thinks about them do they ?

That was sarcasm btw.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:36 am »
Hmm... I'm using v1.0 UE as a base, but I guess I could adapt it to 1.2. Does anyone have a change list?
https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins#Revisional_Differences