News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)  (Read 33185 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »
Thank you guys :beer:

I won't be adding new levels (I don't think I'd do a good job), but I there are a couple of things I want to include. I'll just say that completing all levels shouldn't feel unrewarded.
Completion bonus ftw!
I love that idea :D

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2017, 02:31:00 pm »
Adding a difficult-to-remove watermark somewhere seems to be a good countermeasure.

People don't really care if there's a watermark at the start of the game, they typically buy repros of romhacks just to have a physical version of the romhack.

That said, with these splash screens, please make them easily skippable, as gameboy games are meant to be very quick to start up the game. Don't need 17 unskippable logos that appear for 5 seconds each like modern games have.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2017, 05:22:20 pm »
Well good luck on it. What I am also hoping is one day that Mario Land 1 gets a better DX version itself. I mean I know one's already there, but at least let there be Luigi there too.

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:03 am »
Well good luck on it. What I am also hoping is one day that Mario Land 1 gets a better DX version itself. I mean I know one's already there, but at least let there be Luigi there too.

I Agree.

Will this hack be allowed to be used as a base hack? If so, will the editor even work with this anymore?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
I Agree.

Will this hack be allowed to be used as a base hack? If so, will the editor even work with this anymore?
I want to move on to other projects, so I'll just stick to SML2 and FtFtBT for now. That being said, a lot of this hack's code can be reused (fade-in/out routines, for example) and I'll be happy to help anyone trying to make a colorization hack.

By the way, I just finished this level:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:09 pm »
It looks absolutely gorgeous, toruzz!
I get really hyped with each new tidbit of pics you share of the project :D

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:36 am »
I 100%ed this game as an 11 year old.  I am waiting for this hack's release to see it I've still got it 20 years later.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2017, 04:32:01 am »
Those are awesome screenshots, you're hack keeps getting better looking every time you updated it.

Ice Man

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:17 pm »
Glad someone actually working on it. Looking very nice so far. :D

Shadic

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:21 am »
Just wanted to say that this looks astounding!

I really enjoyed the game as a kid, but haven't felt compelling to give it another go. Seeing this makes me want to run through it again... But I'll wait for this to finish first.  ;)

Vinci2000

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2017, 12:14:29 pm »
I have a suggestion, you should base the colors of the enemies on these https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2017, 01:08:18 pm »
Thank you guys  :beer:

I have a suggestion, you should base the colors of the enemies on these https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins
Thanks for the link :) I’m aware I have to change some colors here and there to make it look as official as possible, but I don’t think I’ll respect that artwork 100%.

On the one hand, although this may seem contradictory, I think some of those colors don’t feel “Mario” enough in game. On the other hand, some enemies are just wrong (i.e. Blurp). But yeah, for the most part I’ll use that as reference.

By the way, I just uploaded an update video: https://youtu.be/F08sXVjc-2M

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2017, 03:50:29 pm »
Since you are going to make an Alternate Patch with the Original Fire Mario/Luigi sprites, can you make an Alternate Patch with the 1-Up Heart?

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »
Looks promising! :) I hope you'll finish it in the future unlike several other colorize attempts by other people that came to a halt unfortunately. I haven't played Super Mario Land 2 yet because I've been waiting for a color version of it (official or unofficial)... I would've helped you out if I had the skills. Thank you, Toruzz-san!  :cookie:

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »

Which one do you like the most (if any)?

The second one.

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2017, 05:41:30 pm »
That looks great, although me personally, I'd add the word "Sorry", as in, "Sorry, this hack can only be played on".  It's no big deal.  It's just how I am.  To me, it shows a little bit of compassion.

As for the color choices of the water color, that's a tough call.  I'd say definitely the first or second.  But the colors are more vibrant in the first one, and you can actually see the green seaweed and yellow sand.

But also, I'm a little biased, as I love summer, and I'd go with the one that is more summer-ish to me.  I'm torn between the first and second, but I'll choose the first one.

I was curious to see what the first image would look like with the second image's sky color.  So I changed it to see:

And I must say, I really like it!  What do you think?

I agree about adding "sorry"! :)

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2017, 05:44:43 pm »

Which one do you like the most (if any)?

PS. I now think that the first one is better in the way that the color of the sand bottom is better, but I do prefer the blue water color in the second one.

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2017, 04:24:13 am »
Saw the video, it does look great, bring back so many memories

:)

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2017, 07:34:06 am »
Thanks again guys!  :beer:

Since you are going to make an Alternate Patch with the Original Fire Mario/Luigi sprites, can you make an Alternate Patch with the 1-Up Heart?
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't explain that better, but that's actually the case. The alternate patch won't have any unnecessary modifications, so there is no Luigi, the statusbar remains white, Fire Mario have a feather, the 1-UP is a heart, etc.

I agree about adding "sorry"! :)
I forgot to mention it, but yeah, I liked the idea and will change the text  :)

Burb

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2017, 02:09:35 pm »
This project is looking great!
By the way, I'm sure you're already aware or maybe fixed it already toruzz, but looking at the video if you select Luigi he will have Mario's colors on the overworld map.