News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack  (Read 3250 times)

dejan07

• View Profile
Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:34:03 pm »
I want to create a Scroll Hack for Secret of Evermore just like Binarynova did for Secret of Mana.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2913/

Binarynova changed only two lines of code to do that so i think i can figure it out for Secret of Evermore since it's uses the same engine.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
Secret of Evermore actually uses a completely different engine than Mana.  The developers basically tried to mimic it, but they didn't use any of the original code.  It's probably still feasible to do though.

Edit:
For an unheadered ROM, it looks like x108EC0 and x108EC7 control the right margin and left margin width.  Increasing the values from x48 causes the screen to scroll when you are farther from the edges.  x108ED5 controls the bottom margin, and x108ECE controls the top margin.  By default the top margin is x68 and bottom is x38.  Changing them all to x68 will keep you pretty close to the center.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:22:00 pm by darkmoon2321 »

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:29:56 am »
Thanks man it worked. Just changing few numbers in flexhex and voila, problem solved! :crazy:

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »
Nice, please link to it.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:56:57 pm »
Secret of Evermore actually uses a completely different engine than Mana.  The developers basically tried to mimic it, but they didn't use any of the original code.  It's probably still feasible to do though.
Maybe not be as well known as I thought, Evermore was the first game by an American team Square hired.
They reported that some changes in the game, such as being one player only, was due to the game being originally intended for half the ROM size it released on.
Might have been the only released game as well. I think they had one or two other games announced in a very preliminary stage, including an official Evermore sequel, before the first game was even out.
But then a year later the PlayStation "war" happened and Square reportedly replaced their US subsidiary entirely.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:50:02 pm »
Nice, please link to it.

You mean a link to the patch? I haven't created one yet since it needs to be tested first and i have found two bugs already. Download this program
http://www.flexhex.com/

and follow the instructions by darkmoon2321. It is pretty simple.

Pizzano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »
Thanks for actually trying to tackle this. I'm looking forward to this hack. I hope it's compatible with the 2-player co-op hack.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:52 am »
Thanks for actually trying to tackle this. I'm looking forward to this hack. I hope it's compatible with the 2-player co-op hack.
Agreed and Agreed! This would be an excellent feature.

millanzarreta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:50:16 am »
I revive this old thread with some new information, maybe it could be useful to someone.

- Offsets of Margins in the different ROMs:

Code: [Select]
              USA,    Spain,   French,  Germany,   Europe
Left  -> 0x108EC0, 0x108EC5, 0x108EC5, 0x108EC5, 0x108EC5
Right -> 0x108EC7, 0x108ECC, 0x108ECC, 0x108ECC, 0x108ECC
Up    -> 0x108ECE, 0x108ED3, 0x108ED3, 0x108ED3, 0x108ED3
Down  -> 0x108ED5, 0x108EDA, 0x108EDA, 0x108EDA, 0x108EDA

- Original Values:

L -> 0x48
R -> 0x48
U -> 0x68
D -> 0x38

- This margin values are loaded in memory in these addresses (all ROMs):

L -> 0x7E240F
R -> 0x7E2411
U -> 0x7E2413
D -> 0x7E2415

- Known margin value limits (upper values trigger a "screen shake bug"):

· General enviroment:
0x80 -> Left and Right
0x6F -> Upper and Down

· [Scripter movement] Entering Fire Eyes hut first time:
0x80 -> Left and Right
0x6F -> Upper
0x54 -> Down

· [Scripter movement] Transition entering final boss area:
0x80 -> Left and Right
0x6F -> Upper
0x38 -> Down

A small gif with the "screen shake bug" here if someone wants to see it.

I have not done more tests in other scenarios (only in this pair), but at the moment the most global, adjusted and safer value is 80-80-6F-38 (L-R-U-D), but I need do more exhaustive tests to confirm this. Unfortunately, when the "screen shake bug" starts this doesn't end until other map screen is loaded. In a normal scenario, a 80-80-6F-6F is the most adjusted value that don't triggers the bug, but in other special cases (as some scripted movements) this bug is triggered for these values. I have tested the minimum values that can be established for some of these special cases, such as when you enter the Fire Eyes hut for the first time or when you enter the final game boss room. At the moment it seems that the only value that causes problems in this cases is the inferior margin (but as I have already commented, to affirm this I would need do more tests), and the worst problem is that this value cannot be modified upper the original 0x38 value (with 0x39 value the "screen shake bug" is triggered at least in one of these cases).

The ideal solution would be find a way to prevent the screen from shaking, or at least, get it to stop shaking without the need to leave the area to force a new map to be loaded (for example, executing some fix-function periodically or something similar, I don't know...).

This is all, I will try to continue investigating how to solve this.... :thumbsup:

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 11:20:37 am »
Any chance of Secret of Evermore getting a hack to globally swap the A and B Buttons? Because I know you can swap Attack and Run in the field, but menus will still use the B Button to confirm and the A Button to cancel. It's maddening when every other RPG I've played uses the inverse...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:32 pm »
Good to see more work being done on Evermore. :thumbsup:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:49:33 pm »
Any chance of Secret of Evermore getting a hack to globally swap the A and B Buttons? Because I know you can swap Attack and Run in the field, but menus will still use the B Button to confirm and the A Button to cancel. It's maddening when every other RPG I've played uses the inverse...

I forget what button Mana used to cancel (Y?) but I know it used B for enter as well.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 02:38:35 pm »
I forget what button Mana used to cancel (Y?) but I know it used B for enter as well.
That's true! But in Secret of Mana, you can globally swap the A and B Buttons (Cancel/Accept) for menus and the field map. SoE only lets you do it for the field.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:05 pm »
Secret of Evermore deserves a lot more love hack-wise TBH. Not just in button swaps and scroll hacks (though both would be fine and appreciated additions) but some quality of life stuff like merchants who sell finite alchemy ingredients, each kind of gear including those unobtainable, call beads, etc Maybe increasing the max item limit too and maybe making the drop off in levels after 40 less staggering, perhaps by decreasing the amount of exp required. I dunno, I felt Evermore was highly underrated. The guy that composed Skyrim's soundtrack did Secret of Evermore's ffs but people were just too butthurt that it wasn't Secret of Mana 2. It's sad.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 06:19:53 am »
Yes, that was Jeremy Soul.

It is such a bloody shame, that Secret of Evermore didn't have a single rerelease on any Virtual Console.
Either the japanese head, see the game as a sort of shame or have completely forgotten about it's existence.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 07:08:08 am »
Yes, that was Jeremy Soul.

It is such a bloody shame, that Secret of Evermore didn't have a single rerelease on any Virtual Console.
Either the japanese head, see the game as a sort of shame or have completely forgotten about it's existence.

The developers of the Secret of Mana remake held an AMA on reddit asking questions about the game. Mine was one of the top voted (I think 3rd) and even the two above mine and mine asked about a re-release of Secret of Evermore (as well as stuff like steam/console releases of Adventures and Rise of Mana among other things)

There is no way they are ignorant of it's existence or that fans still care about it.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 09:47:31 pm »
It really is unfortunate how events unfolded around SoE. It deserves so much better treatment. I think it's amazing how mechanically close many things in it are to SoM, that it fools many people still to this day into assuming it was based on the same code. And it's beautiful, a great story, incredible soundtrack, and so unique. It really says something about the talent of the team, and it certainly says something else about Square's treatment of such promising people...

Hey, this popped into my head, found this last year, really awesome livestream with just 204 views (WTF, still that low?!) where Brian Fehdrau (lead programmer of SoE, if you didn't know) just pops in and spends like, 5 hours chatting with the players/chat about the game. He also used to frequent Gamefaqs I think, posted with fans, really seems like a great guy from everything I've ever read from him, just as full of passion for SoE as any mega-fan. He sadly has a chronic health issue which prevents him from programming as much as he'd like to these days, hope he's doing well otherwise.

https://youtu.be/dEgEK_BJ9Pg?t=4620

Sorry to get so off topic, just wanted to share such a criminally underviewed video (maybe 6 hours puts people off :laugh:) and ramble my thoughts about the game.

As far as this goes, great work, darkmoon2321 and millanzarreta! Hope that screen shake could be fixed, this would be a great addition. You mention more testing, if it would help, I can test a run of the game with those values, see if other places are breaking or whatever. Might take a while between work and life, but if I can be of help I'm more than happy to do so.

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 09:39:04 am »
With the original game, the scroll can respawn enemies.
For example in the pyramid changing place with the dog.
This zone have problems.

Hack something requires testing.

I had freeze bugs with the real cartridge too. After the black forest, killing the mini boss. And again crossing the labyrinth.

That's the only bad of this game for me, many labyriths.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 11:33:35 am »
...There is no way they are ignorant of it's existence or that fans still care about it.

Secret of Evermore seems to have a sizeable fan-base these days. Those who played it remember it fondly. Edit: I was wrong about Reviews: most of them (be it US or Eur) were quite positive.

It really is unfortunate how events unfolded around SoE. It deserves so much better treatment. I think it's amazing how mechanically close many things in it are to SoM, that it fools many people still to this day into assuming it was based on the same code. And it's beautiful, a great story, incredible soundtrack, and so unique. It really says something about the talent of the team, and it certainly says something else about Square's treatment of such promising people...

Yeah. Somehow Secret of Evermore succeeded in mimicking the feeling of the Secret of Mana games. I think this games deserves a comprehensive hack (like Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition) or even an official remaster.

About the Soundtrack yeah, you'd be hard-pressed to find a SNES game with such a great ambient sound. Though Donkey Kong Country's Jungle or the aquatic levels and Super Metroid come to mind.

Jeremy Soule and most of the team which worked on Secret of Evermore were in their early 20s, on their first game! That’s very impressive when you think about it.

There's this old well-known interview with Brian Fehdrau who worked on SOE: Interview with Brian Fehdrau - Secret of Evermore

Finally here's a French not-so-famous Interview, made in August 2017. The developer wanted to stay anonymous for some reason, even though he claims it’s been 5 years he’s not in the gaming industry, talk about a shy guy ^^. Anyways the interviewers at Square Palace - a loyal French site dedicated to Square games - decided to give him the nickname "Dave" because "Dave" sounds like "Dev" (Developer) you know. Ha! Anyways there was some fresh info (unknown to me at least) that I wanted to share with you. I'll translate some bits, okay^^:

(FR) Dave : Au départ, c’était un jeu différent appelé Vexx, avec la même base, mais une histoire et des personnages totalement différents. À un moment donné, nous avons décidé que c'était de la merde et l'avons balancé. On a alors recommencé avec une nouvelle histoire.

(ENG) Dave : At First it was a different game named Vexx, with the same foundation, but with completely different story and characters. At some point, we decide that it was crap and dropped it. Then we started all over with a new story.
---
(FR) Square Palace : Nous avons trouvé une magie cachée appelée "Laser", inutile et inachevée (Action replay : 7E225AFF). Avez-vous des détails à ce sujet ?

Dave : Juste quelque chose qui n'a pas été fini.

(ENG) Square Palace :  We’ve found a hidden spell named "Laser", unusable and unfinished (Action replay : 7E225AFF). Do you have any further details about this ?

Dave : Just something that was unfinished.
---
(FR) Square Palace : Le code binaire 01000010 01001010 01000110 annoncé par le vieil homme à Noblia signifie-t-il quelque chose de particulier pour vous ou est-ce simplement un code aléatoire pour le fun ?
Dave : C'est BJF en ASCII, les initiales de Brian Fehdrau, il était le programmeur principal.

(ENG) Square Palace : The old man at Nobilia utters the binary code 01000010 01001010 01000110, does it mean anything special to you or was it just a random code made for fun ?

Dave : It means BJF in ASCII, those are the initials of Brian Fehdrau, he was the Lead Programmer.

Source French Secret of Evermore Interview (2017) L'interview exclusive d'un développeur de Secret of Evermore
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:26:21 pm by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 07:29:53 am »
And it's seems that there's a easter egg in the game Shadow Madness. Same writer it seems.
There's a city with a lot of funny prohibitions like the guard of Nobilia.
But you have to play a lot to see that and it's missable.