News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)  (Read 33884 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:43:13 am »

Super Mario Land 2 DX is a color hack for Super Mario Land 2 in the same vein as Link’s Awakening DX. It is completely done in ASM and takes advantage of some of the unique features of the GBC hardware, so it doesn’t work with classic Game Boy.

The aim of this hack is to make it look as official as possible and to document it the best I can. It started as a quick and dirty side project to document a colorization project (as my code for For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX is a mess), but I’ve ended up investing a lot of time polishing it and now I want it to be a full-fledged colorization hack.

Aside from the colorization, I’m thinking of adding and changing around a few things, but maybe I’ll just release two patches - one for “purists” and another one that includes elements from modern Mario games, including the addition of Luigi with his own physics:

Here is an old video of the hack in movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeh-VGl8ls

FAQ:

When will it be released?
Unless anything unexpected happens, it will be released in December.

Does this means you abandoned For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX? I'll fight you
By any means, that's my baby and I want it to be beautiful. But I'll release this hack first.

How can I help you?
I'll update this if I need help in the future. For now, your support is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:08:08 pm by toruzz »

Raccoon Sam

• Left is Right and Right is Wrong
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:09:17 am »
I saw this earlier on /vr/ and I think it looks extremely good. SML2 is my favourite Mario game and I'm happy to see it getting some love.
The 'DX' in the title screen seems a bit too humble, though. Otherwise insanely good job.  :beer:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:56 am »
Like I said in one of the other threads, I hope you give the fire versions a new palette. The feather in their hat don't bother me but I wanna see them get proper palettes when they get a fire powerup. Maybe they should change to orange when they get the bunny ears.

This hack looks really good tho. I wanna try it asap.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:56:10 am »
On one hand, giving them a new palette would be inconsistent with the official artwork. On the other, the feather in the hat was clearly only done because of the four-color limitation, like the shoulders on the Varia Suit in Metroid 2.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:10 am »
Thank you, guys. By the way, I changed Fire Mario a few weeks ago :P

I'll probably release two patches as I mentioned before, one with the original graphics (a heart instead of the 1-UP Mushroom, "feather Mario" instead of the proper Fire Mario, no Luigi, etc.) and another one with the modified ones.

On a different note, this is how the overworld looks at the moment:

I'm constantly tweaking it, but there are so many limitations that it's really difficult to make it look better. What do you think?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:25 am »
Is it possible to change the palette as you're scrolling the map around?

Maybe do something like this (changed the gray and desaturated yellows, don't know what colors per tile limitations are):
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:16:31 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:20 am »
What can I say?
I love the work that's been shown so far, and I would love to see the finished product.
I know it'll blow my socks off for sure :P

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:35:01 am »
This is a really cool hack that you're making, I'm looking forward to checking it out when it's release.

One thing you should edit is change Wario's eyes to make them look more like the ones from his official artwork for this game.

Here's a link to official artwork from the Japanese manual to help you on the colors for your hack: http://somerussianmariodude.blogspot.com/2015/01/gameboy-game-manuals-3-super-mario-land.html

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »
This looks great, I love it when old games get improvements like these. Will Luigi work like SMA2 where you can switch to him on the map or will it be Lost Levels style where you choose your character at file select?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »
Is it possible to change the palette as you're scrolling the map around?
I've tried it, but most of the time 6 of 7 BG palettes are being used at the same time and there isn't enough room to imperceptibly change the other one. Either I heavily change the overworld to accommodate it to colored tiles or I'm stuck with this:

Maybe do something like this (changed the gray and desaturated yellows, don't know what colors per tile limitations are):
I should have pointed out that the hippo, clouds and most of the turtle head are sprites and can be freely colored. Maybe I'll change the cloud color.

What can I say?
I love the work that's been shown so far, and I would love to see the finished product.
I know it'll blow my socks off for sure :P
This is a really cool hack that you're making, I'm looking forward to checking it out when it's release.

One thing you should edit is change Wario's eyes to make them look more like the ones from his official artwork for this game.

Here's a link to official artwork from the Japanese manual to help you on the colors for your hack: http://somerussianmariodude.blogspot.com/2015/01/gameboy-game-manuals-3-super-mario-land.html

Thanks! I'm not at Wario yet, but I'll look into that when the time comes.
This looks great, I love it when old games get improvements like these. Will Luigi work like SMA2 where you can switch to him on the map or will it be Lost Levels style where you choose your character at file select?
You will only be able to switch them at the file select screen, but you can get there by pressing all the buttons at any given time  :)

duiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
This looks amazing! One of my favorite games of all time, thank you for your hard work on this.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but have you looked into coloring the first SML? Any other GB classic you are looking into coloring in the future?

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:01 am »
This looks amazing! One of my favorite games of all time, thank you for your hard work on this.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but have you looked into coloring the first SML? Any other GB classic you are looking into coloring in the future?

Super Mario Land has already been done. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1187/

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:50 am »
Looking great. This is one game I've never really put much time into.

...but for some reason, I've beaten the crappy first game twice!

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 02:20:35 am »
I agree with the 2 patch idea.

I'm as purist as they come.
It's actually quite interesting. I started playing Mario Land 2 this week since I haven't played it in over 15 years.
The black and white is exhausting. This project is music to my ears or...a sight for soar eyes. There we go.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

TheCardiganKing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 03:36:15 am »
Toruzz, you keep producing very high quality work. I can't wait for both projects to be finished. You have a great eye for color!

Vanilla Lumina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 04:10:40 am »
Hey, this looks amazing! Maybe this will motivate me to complete the game more - I have the original cartridge as a matter of fact and was mere pixels away from completing it a few years ago!

Can't wait to play it in colour!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 07:03:13 am »
This is exciting, alwsys great to see stuff like this!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 10:52:01 am »
What you gonna do for Space Zone? That's kinda devoid of colors to begin with. Can we see some screens of what you got in mind?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 11:07:10 am »
On a different note, this is how the overworld looks at the moment:

I'm constantly tweaking it, but there are so many limitations that it's really difficult to make it look better. What do you think?
My only suggestion for this (if the palette is really limiting) would be to use the same tone of colour you have for the turtle head to be used for the Star/Moon. Having them in an odd orange tone seems weird haha.
Or if the turtle head is a separate sprite/palette, then perhaps changing the brown to a more light tone to resemble yellow for the star and moon would do it.

That's my only suggestion, the Mushroom house doesn't look bad in orange at all, it's just the Star and Moon which I feel seem odd with the orange hue.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 02:59:56 am »