News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man Remastered  (Read 10599 times)

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man Remastered
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 10:23:46 pm »
I think the question is, why hasn't anyone hacked the graphics in MMPU?
Seems to me, and this opinion is completely uneducated, that it shouldn't be difficult to simply replace the models for ones with proportional heads or just entirely new ones.
The rest of it is just texture replacement.
They already have classic graphics in the game that can be swapped out.
On that subject, I'd like to see a hack that restores Oil Man's original color scheme:

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
If that screenshot is the original version ... it was probably changed because it literally looks like a blackface depiction...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 01:17:21 am »
He's supposed look like a dude covered in oil.
The similarity to blackface is coincidental.
The recoloring in the western versions doesn't actually change that similarity.
I prefer the original 'cause it looks more like actual oil.
Also, adhering to stereotypes is what perpetuates them in the first place.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:11 am »
On that subject, I'd like to see a hack that restores Oil Man's original color scheme:

Same here, including replacing the English voice tracks with the Japanese voice tracks. I'm still surprised that no one didn't do these yet.

Here's what Oil Man and Time Man would had look like if they were in the original MM1:

Here's what they would had look like if they appeared in the later NES games:

You should give Mega Man his MM9 & 10 color scheme for your hack:

Here's what the theme songs for both Oil Man and Time Man would sound like if they were used in MM1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnJNcmrEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_wxUwErXQY
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:33:30 am by SCD »

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 07:40:24 am »
What about MegaMan 9 or 10 NES fanmade ? Hopefully someone skilled with ASMs and Mega Man 3/4 is willing to volunteer. Maybe MegaMan 3 or 4 for MegaMan 9/10 ?? Anybody ?

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 08:59:11 am »
What about MegaMan 9 or 10 NES fanmade ? Hopefully someone skilled with ASMs and Mega Man 3/4 is willing to volunteer. Maybe MegaMan 3 or 4 for MegaMan 9/10 ?? Anybody ?

Yeah - somebody else should totally do this for us, because we can't be bothered with it.

/dACE

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »
This is wonderful!
The lack of a password system has always been my biggest issue with MM1 because I'd have to play through the game each time I want to finish it! Having the SRAM is perfect for it! Great work!

I'd like to eventually add SRAM support to MM2 hacks. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to do this? Would it be possible to just patch this(https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1935/) to existing hacks? Or would it require quite a bit of work?
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 11:40:57 pm »
Very nice project! Definitely a keeper.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
That depends on the hacks in question and how they were made/what data they alter.
If you want to know for sure you can always just experiment by applying these hacks together and then trying to play them.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 01:10:18 am »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the feedback.  Just remember, that by all means you can use this hack as a base for your own hacks, but if you decide to do that, hold off until I fix the bugs.  You don't want to work with an unstable ROM.

I might try to get to them this Friday.

Has anyone actually played through the whole game, and experienced any of the bugs that I found?

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:42 am »
I can confirm the lag issue.  Go to Elec man stage, and shoot a few times, and it lags.  It also adds more just moving around.  I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3, and you can use menu option  "config>display>lag counter" to see exactly when it lags.  Note that if you have it set on old ppu and overclocking you won't get any lag.
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »
I can confirm the lag issue.  Go to Elec man stage, and shoot a few times, and it lags.  It also adds more just moving around.  I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3, and you can use menu option  "config>display>lag counter" to see exactly when it lags.  Note that if you have it set on old ppu and overclocking you won't get any lag.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I went to Elec Man's stage to see for myself, and I compared my hack and the original game.  It lags in the original game also, but it seems to lag slightly more so in my hack.  The only thing I can think of is my ASM code.  It seems to be the most obvious thing.  It must be running too much code on each frame.  And believe me, this hack is loaded with a bunch of added ASM code.

Do any of you remember when I first released the Upgrade Patch, and I said that the hack now had tons of free space because of the CHR-ROM conversion and PRG expansion?

Well, this ROM still has a lot of free space, but most of it is in the expanded PRG-ROM.  I can't get over how much code that I had to add to make the hack what it currently is.  In this hack, if you look, I had to add a lot of code to the SRAM addresses, because I ran out of room in the hardwired bank, and a lot of the freed-up space in the banks that I needed to use were mostly used up.

Even the CHR-ROM space is limited.  There are only about twelve free 8K pages availabe to use.  Which is certainly not what I intended there to be.

This was my first hack where I really did some big stuff with the ROM ASM-wise, from the CHR-ROM conversion to SRAM implementation, and all sorts of little things.  So my code is obviously not going to be as efficient as it could be.

I'm half-tempted to redo this Remaster without the CHR-ROM conversion, for two reasons: A.) The code will be cleaner, and the lag will no longer be present.  B.) The ROM will be show up okay in level editors.  Seventy percent of the code that I added is because of the CHR-ROM conversion anyway, so all of that would be cut out.  And I would still leave the mapper at MMC3 so that it may be played on most emulators and easily on real hardware.

Oh, by the way, I had no idea that there was a new version of FCEUX.  When was 2.2.3 released?  That's pretty cool.  I'll have to update. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:10:02 pm by RetroRain »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 01:30:38 pm »
It would take some considerable doing, but I hope someone someday can make an NES conversion of the PSP remake, Powered Up. I'm not expecting playable bosses and the stage editor, but Powered Up considerably improved the level designs of all stages, added Oilman and Timeman to increase the boss roster to eight like every other Megaman game, and added that intro stage.

There are sprites out there from the Rockman 8 FC project for Oilman and Timeman as well as their weapons. The grunt work would need to asm coding to fit it together.
I think the question is, why hasn't anyone hacked the graphics in MMPU?
Seems to me, and this opinion is completely uneducated, that it shouldn't be difficult to simply replace the models for ones with proportional heads or just entirely new ones.
The rest of it is just texture replacement.
They already have classic graphics in the game that can be swapped out.

As for Remastered as a base for a MMPU remake, I wouldn't even think of recreating the chibi graphics style of the original.
When I was doing this very project as a hack of MM5, I was only concerned with implementing the new stage graphics in the style of the classic games.
Everything else was going to be exactly as it was in MM1.

Now that it is a PC remake instead, I'm also going to have many of the features that were in the PSP version, but still sticking with the style of the original NES games.
Admittedly, in the back of my mind I'd still like to use Remastered and add the 2 extra stages, Oilman, Timeman, their weapons, their new stage hazards, and the new enemies not found in the original.
Alas, my knowledge of the inner workings of MM1/Remastered isn't that great and I don't really have time to make a hack and a fan game.

I gotta say I would like to see this as well.

I'm 100% with RetroRain in regards with the stupid chibi graphics, pointless and cutesy for no reason at all, and that is why I haven't even bothered to try out MM Powered Up at all.
Same reason why I can't even stand playing Metroid Federation Force.

However, bringing the other two stages, bosses and weapons you get from Time Man and Oil Man into the original MM1 would be neat.
Adding them to Mega Man 1 would surely be a nice addition and without a doubt would make this the definitive version of the game to go for a full experience without the hassles.

If RetroRain is willing to add these two new things into the original Megaman, it would certainly give both Time Man and Oil Man a proper and respectful introduction into the original Mega Man, the way it was intended without cutesy shitty graphics.

To wrap up, I'd love to see those inclusions into Remastered.
Loving this hack so far! I had the previous version in my SD as my definitive version of MM1, and with all of these updates coming up, of course it will continue to be my definitive version of MM1 for years to come. :D

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »
Thank you ShadowOne333. :)

I still have to decide what to do with this hack.  Do I try to fix the problems with it, or redo it on a ROM without the CHR-ROM?  What if I can't fix the lagging?  These are the kinds of things I have to consider.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »

I still have to decide what to do with this hack.  Do I try to fix the problems with it, or redo it on a ROM without the CHR-ROM?  What if I can't fix the lagging?  These are the kinds of things I have to consider.
Well to be honest I'm not sure what the downsides of using CHR-ROM are, and if that has anything to do with the lag or not.
If you have any insight towards explaining what the mappers have in favor and their downsides, that might give us a better understanding of the situation.

As for the current problems, I say try to tackle them as is, it might give you a bit of a challenge but a ton of experience if you work it ou. If they continue the way the are, then consider switching mapper.
Also, I'd suggest separating your ASM code so that you can have everything that does not need CHR-ROM segregated and what uses that mapper in sight, and it might come in handy if you do end up ditching CHR-ROM for another mapper, if that's possible of course.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 05:17:45 pm »
Yeah I think I'm just going to try to fix these things.  I'll do my best to fix the lagging.  If I can't, I'm sorry, but I'll try.  I just don't have the time to redo all of that work.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 09:53:57 pm »
The Zandronum mod Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch has 8-bit remakes of the tilesets used in Oil Man and Time Man's stages, in case you need those.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 03:37:13 am »

What about trying to optimize things as much as possible to reduce lag? Not only your code, but also the original game's. MM1 is the only NES MM game without a "lag reduction" patch that still needs it. I mean, afaik MM1 and 2 don't have a lag reduction patch, but MM2 doesn't really need it.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:40 am »
The lagging issue is the last thing that I'll be working on.  I have to fix the other bugs first.

Anyway, I began working on them!  I already fixed the select/weapon-toggle palette bug.  It will no longer happen. :)

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:17 pm »
Great work on this retrorain! Any luck getting past the cpu jam error on nestopia? I think your other versions of this works fine but this one locks up nestopia.  :-[