News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Wily's Conquest 2 - Hyper Edition Turbo!  (Read 1531 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: 8-bit fan / 8.bit.fan

This is a complete hack for Mega Man II from a previously unfinished version by DragonEye Studios. The abandoned version had some great ideas and lots of potential, but was littered with bugs, poor layouts, and enemy spams. So the purpose of this project was to refine the problematic areas and complete the hack so that the player can play all the way to the end and finish the game.

Mega Man II has always been my favorite of the series, and seeing so many great hacks with amazing potential go unfinished is disheartening. Now that I've learned how to hack, it is my goal to try and complete the many abandoned hacks so that every Mega Man II fan out there can finally enjoy them...starting with Mega Man Wily's Conquest 2 - Hyper Edition Turbo!

Comments and suggestions are welcomed! :)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Wily's Conquest 2 - Hyper Edition Turbo!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »
I think it would be kind of cool to see some Megaman Hacks that don't change the game at all, only the soundtrack: and the hacks would have all these different soundtracks from different hacks like Gray Zone, Basic Master, Deluxe, Exhaust, No Constancy, Min, etc. Rockman Speed Bound did this with a few Megaman 3 hacks, and I really like the idea.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:14 pm »
I think it would be kind of cool to see some Megaman Hacks that don't change the game at all, only the soundtrack: and the hacks would have all these different soundtracks from different hacks like Gray Zone, Basic Master, Deluxe, Exhaust, No Constancy, Min, etc. Rockman Speed Bound did this with a few Megaman 3 hacks, and I really like the idea.
That's a great idea! One that I might explore one day when/if I have the time to do so.
Getting the music working was one of the biggest challenges that I had with the hacking as there were just so much to learn in regards to the code, pointers, etc. But now that I got it going, I could easily 'port' the soundtrack of this hack to a vanilla version of Mega Man II. All music credited to the original composers of course.

Thanks again for the comment and suggestion! :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »
This hack kind of reminds me of Hyper Rockman: Jet Edition.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 02:54:39 am »
This hack kind of reminds me of Hyper Rockman: Jet Edition.
Oh right, that's the one where the hacker improved on the original Magical Rockman hack from the Magical Doropie game. Nice. :)

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »
I could easily 'port' the soundtrack of this hack to a vanilla version of Mega Man II.

That was quite easy if anyone has the music pointers with hex editor. I usually copy/paste into .NSF data but sometimes they expand beyond the music pointers.
Please do not send me RHDN's private messages to contact me, you must use Facebook and I'll be able to reply to you quickly. I AM NOT AN ACTIVE RHDN MEMBER!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »
Why on earth did you change the weapon/health counters from the ticks to those ugly boxes? This is the only thing I severely dislike about this otherwise great hack. Could you make an alternative version that restores the original health bars? thanks.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 12:00:09 am »
That was quite easy if anyone has the music pointers with hex editor. I usually copy/paste into .NSF data but sometimes they expand beyond the music pointers.
The hard part was moving the music data to different locations and rearranging all the pointers so that the music run properly. If you know of any tools that would make this easier, feel free to let me know!

Also, I saw your review on the hack. If you'd like, I could include v0.90 in the zip on my next update. That one leaves the original Robot Masters and the first 3 Wily stages untouched, while opening up the rest of the game.

Why on earth did you change the weapon/health counters from the ticks to those ugly boxes? This is the only thing I severely dislike about this otherwise great hack. Could you make an alternative version that restores the original health bars? thanks.
You got it. I'll release an updated version to revert the hp counters back to the original.
Actually you're not the first person that brought this up to me, and I agree, they are pretty ugly along with many other issues in the older version of the hack. But I kept this one intact for some reason. I'll make an update soon in the next few days.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »

Also, I saw your review on the hack. If you'd like, I could include v0.90 in the zip on my next update. That one leaves the original Robot Masters and the first 3 Wily stages untouched, while opening up the rest of the game.
You got it. I'll release an updated version to revert the hp counters back to the original.

Don't include the abandoned version in your next update while it's found all over the internet. Not to mention Zophar's Domain which I originally got the IPS patch from.
Please do not send me RHDN's private messages to contact me, you must use Facebook and I'll be able to reply to you quickly. I AM NOT AN ACTIVE RHDN MEMBER!

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:09:40 am »
Hi Satoshi_Matrix, v1.14 is now up and the HP meter has been reverted back to its original look. Feel free to check it out and enjoy!

I've sent you a PM as well.

Cheers! :)