I'm making a Super Mario Bros. 2 hack. This is still mostly the idea phase, but I've got some concepts down. The look of the game will be a minimalist background with a macabre feel. Play as Lamross, an ambitious minor demon. Fight your way deeper into the underworld to increase your power. I think I'd like his ultimate goal to be a surprise on the ending, but basically you accumulate power and status as a goal, with possible new abilities over time.
A few goals and possible ideas:
* Remove multiple players.
-- Done (removed select screen). The code for multiple players is still there, and made it so all characters are the same. I can make these power suits or something.
* Remove or replace select screen.
-- Done, but needs work to load the correct palette and tiles.
* Remove the basic gameplay of picking up roots and throwing them.
* Add a projectile attack, possibly a pitchfork or various weapons like Castlevania.
* Remove locked doors or change the way keys work.
-- Made it so locked doors now spawn as unlocked doors instead.
* Remove charge jump.
* Add new abilities, possibly: double jump, "rage" mode.
* Redesign levels
* Remove all music (possibly add new music later)
-- Mostly done, a few left.
* Change the way you ride enemies, giving you more direct control, like with Yoshi.
-- Here is something I made with Lua to work on the concept before putting it in the rom:
* Remove small character state.
* Make maximum life carry over through all stages.
* Change phanto to a familiar that attacks for you.
* Create stage names or messages in place of the normal title card before each level.
-- Replaced title card stuff and made full font available, but need to add code for it to change every level.
* Remove lives and continues, possibly start at start of stage if you die.
* Remove Sub-Space.
-- It's easy to remove access to sub-space, just remove all the potions. What I want is to remove it alltogether, and repurpose all the code and memory, or change it into something else.
WIP Title card (placeholder graphics):
I've created an ASM hack to require holding a specific item for floating, thinking of making an umbrella item to use it.