News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Metroidvania (Castlevania Nes Hack)  (Read 4619 times)

Sephirous

• View Profile
Metroidvania (Castlevania Nes Hack)
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:11 pm »
Hello All,

This is the start of a new project I am working on. It's mainly just a side thing I am doing while working on "COA".
I don't have a name for it yet aside from Metroidvania as this is going to be a very literal Metroidvania version of Metroid using the first Castlevania Engine. Assuming this is going to ruin gameplay since Metroid is known for being Non-Linear, I don't plan on making it into the story line or anything special. It's more something I have been wa nting to test out and see where it goes. I guess it could be called Castleroid but that sounds like a giant growth you would get from being on the toilet too long.

Here is the beginning picture of development.
The title screen graphics and palettes are already in, I matched the graphics so they would be identical in placement to FCEUX PPU Viewer for easy installation. However, I became so used to CVIII Hex Editor I forgot that Stake unlike Revamp has a Title Screen Palette Editor. Making it Sooooo much easier.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:21:58 pm by Sephirous »
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Re: Metroidvania (Castlevania Nes Hack)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
Heh heh this looks interesting maybe this could be used for an SOTN version for CoA (shrugs) just wondering about that XD speaking of which how goes the vid stuff for CoA?

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:55:19 pm »
Hey cool I love to see all this CV3 projects. I had some ideas myself like make the companions not free of choice and have the levels designed for there special abilities.. but I guess I stay with my SC4 and the bitchy Mother in law Scream at me. In SC4 you could have 8 exits for a level as far as I know. That would be good for meteoroid like style. Wish you much luck  :thumbsup:

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:12:44 pm »
Title Screen is just about done. Still got to add the stars. Then I will edit the Castle Entrance into a docking station where Samus will get into her Ship and head for the planet. (More Or Less)  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:22:06 pm by Sephirous »
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »
Heh heh nice work so far Seph,hope you get back to finishing up CoA I don't know if I can wait any longer! >XD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:23:28 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:40:10 pm »
Hey cool I love to see all this CV3 projects. I had some ideas myself like make the companions not free of choice and have the levels designed for there special abilities.. but I guess I stay with my SC4 and the bitchy Mother in law Scream at me. In SC4 you could have 8 exits for a level as far as I know. That would be good for meteoroid like style. Wish you much luck  :thumbsup:

What needs to be done is a new editor to be made for Castlevania 3 with today's current technology.  A lot of stuff is being nicely done from what I've seen and would never hurt to do something that's upgraded from reVamp.  Dunno if there is any work being done or planned for reVamp but feel something new needs to be brought out.

Seph, in the future when you are at the point for graphics and once my stuff is done I wouldn't mind helping to design stuff for levels :)
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:49 pm »
Excellent!  :thumbsup:

The first thing when the time comes will probably be a Zero Suit Samus with her Yellow Whip as the main Character.
When I first saw Samus in Smash Bros. Brawl use the whip I thought to my self, Now there is an idea for the future.
That was about 10 years ago now. Lol.
I am going to try and build one, I just have to hope I don't make a Sonia Sprite by accident. They are fairly similar.

I have some basic ideas at the moment but not much planned. Right now it's Trial and Error.

Boss Ideas

Chozo Statues
Kraid
Ridley
Dark Samus
Dawn Aran (Probably Not)

Most of the ideas are still in concept, Nothing is absolute yet.  :thumbsup:

And of course, Importing the complete Metroid Nes Soundtrack into Castlevania.
Wishful thinking, Importing the Metroid NSF in.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:06:05 am by Sephirous »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:12:20 am »
I think I may have some Samus sprites laying around someplace that I can give you though have to see if I stored them on a disc and if they weren't then they were lost when my PC crashed last year.  I was going to do a Metroid II: Return of Samus on Metroid itself but decided to ask Ballzysoft (Ballz) for permission on VoH II so went that route instead.

The only thing that bugs the hell out of me about Samus on Metroid is how fast her walk cycle is.  Though anyway, when this Saturday comes around I'll look for them but if I don't then I'll make some sprites for you.  They won't get in the way of CoA or PoL as it shouldn't take long to do.  Just gotta look at the YYCHR and create them to fit properly :)

Actually found my stuff for Castlevania since I decided to look and sadly I didn't have any female characters for it.  Had a Link (for some reason) and a few other off character stuff but that was about it.  I'll make that custom Zero Suit Samus sprite this weekend for ya :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:35:30 am by Sinis »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:17:22 am »
Thanks! That will be wonderful!  :thumbsup:

Metroid II on the NES is actually something I wish would come out.
However I don' think I am ready to try that on my own just yet, I haven't touched a Metroid Engine Game yet.

Here is another screen shot. Working on the intro screen. Eventually once I find a small enough version of Samus's Ship.
She will be walking to the center and beaming up for take off. I am trying to use the Metroid II Sprite since it is basically 8 Bit.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:22:18 pm by Sephirous »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:56:20 am »
I hope you guys haven't forgotten about finishing Cadence of Agony? ^^;

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:02:17 am »
This is a cool project that you're working on right now, I'm looking forward to playing it when it's done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:20:26 am by SCD »

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:04:36 am »
Thanks! That will be wonderful!  :thumbsup:

Metroid II on the NES is actually something I wish would come out.
However I don' think I am ready to try that on my own just yet, I haven't touched a Metroid Engine Game yet.

Here is another screen shot. Working on the intro screen. Eventually once I find a small enough version of Samus's Ship.
She will be walking to the center and beaming up for take off. I am trying to use the Metroid II Sprite since it is basically 8 Bit.

I think its an amazing idea to add cut scene's in this when you make this type of spin-off of Metriod.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:17:13 am »
I hope you guys haven't forgotten about finishing Cadence of Agony? ^^;

Sephirous doesn't have much left to do so he can do whatever he wants right now.  For me, I'm trying to get the rain animation perfect without making it look like a slop job with what little areas I have from what he used within reVamp so I don't want to subtract anything from what he currently has.  I'm almost done with it :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:22:51 am »
Oh wow,so you are nearly finished with your end of the work and so is Seph since he dosen't have much work left to do like you said,so I guess CoA is very close to being finished but one question,I wonder how Patcha is doing with the sprites of the lesser enemies?

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »
I don't want to panic anyone. But, I don't know if Pacha is doing them..

I haven't received any information from him yet.

I attempted to make them my self as well, However aside from Slime and the Wolf Guys I did. It's a lot of dead ends since I can't draw from scratch to save my life.

I'll look into it again tonight.  :thumbsup:

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »
(Sighs) I hope he didn't straight abandon the project yet again -_-; but still it just needs the finishing touches and BAM it's ready,so since that project is nearly finished I wish you best of luck with this project Seph. :)

If Patcha can't be able to finish them that I think you can do it Seph because Sinis will be going back to his own works for VoH II once finishes the Rain animation.

And I almost forgot to say,the wait begins again XD
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:38:11 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 12:16:13 am »
Starting to become Brinstar.  :thumbsup:

May 29, 2017, 01:59:47 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks to Sinis, Samus is now in the game!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also I began modifying the HUD to give a general idea of where I am headed with the game's concept.

Note:
Apparently Stake likes to edit the games programming by itself.
After working with Stake for awhile I noticed the PRG File was edited in a weird way then moving the CHR stuff all over the place.
Sooooooo, I will be sitting down at some point and figuring out just what happened. Interesting stuff.  :thumbsup:

List of Item Ideas:

Energy Tank = Pot Roast
Screw Attack = Cross
Missile = Knife
Bomb = Holy Water
Morphing Ball = Axe
Clock - Don't Know Yet

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:22:35 pm by Sephirous »

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
This looks super imaginative and fun. Can't wait to see what else you come with.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 01:09:07 pm »
Great work Seph,what other changes you planning to do with the game?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:16:27 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 07:23:26 am »
Hey, nice work done there so far!