News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 3700 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:27 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

AddendumCompleteImprovement
Relevant Link

Josephine Lithius

• Lv. 35 Cutemonger
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:50 am »
The new news layout is applies to general hacks, too?  This is awesome!  Thank you, RHdN!
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:29:51 am »
That "hardcore" series has got the be the most misleading romhack naming convention ever done. To those who don't know, it is a series of cheat hacks like infinite lives etc. This is a very controversial topic, but could something be done about misleading hack names? In my opinion it hurts the health of RHDN. An average user will feel frustrated when browsing those hacks. Perhaps a better rating system would be ideal and the most democratic approach to this issue.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:03:45 pm by nesrocks »

never-obsolete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:18:45 pm »
Yeah, I played that Contra one waiting for the full on penetration, but the penetration never came. I was frustrated to say the least.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:14 pm »
That "hardcore" series has got the be the most misleading romhack naming convention ever done. To those who don't know, it is a series of cheat hacks like infinite lives etc. This is a very controversial topic, but could something be done about misleading hack names?

Doubt it. The same sort of discussion sort of came up not to long ago about all of those FF6 bugfixes with titles that sound nothing like bugfixes and get your hopes up thinking it's a new complete hack or something but turns out to be a few cleaned up codes. An appeal to the authors is about all there is here.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:33:35 pm »
That "hardcore" series has got the be the most misleading romhack naming convention ever done. To those who don't know, it is a series of cheat hacks like infinite lives etc. This is a very controversial topic, but could something be done about misleading hack names? In my opinion it hurts the health of RHDN. An average user will feel frustrated when browsing those hacks. Perhaps a better rating system would be ideal and the most democratic approach to this issue.
The author of the hardcore hacks appears to be Chinese, if you go to the site linked in his/her profile that is noticeable. My favorite thing to do is read the hack descriptions made by non-English natives (mostly Russians) and then cringe while my OCD burns like a thousand fires. I have issues about spelling/grammar.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:22:22 pm by Zeikar »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:27 am »
The hardcore hacks seem to be acceptable. He's not just adding game genie codes. He's programming in shortcuts to access them at any time.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:47:27 am »
The hardcore hacks seem to be acceptable. He's not just adding game genie codes. He's programming in shortcuts to access them at any time.

Yeah, some of them sound like they might be pretty fun to play around with. The one for Adventure Island has a level select option. That's always welcome on an NES game.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:40 am »
The problem is with the name, the name "hardcore" makes it seem like a difficulty hack to make the game harder, not a cheat input hack in which button combinations give you infinite health or whatever. In terms of what the hacks do, yes, I see that as acceptable. The misleading names is rather disappointing with all those clicks of people hoping it means it's a challenging difficulty hack. I even seen one review of the hardcore hacks mentioning the fact that it's not a difficulty hack in those regards.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:54:37 pm »
Exactly, the problem is only regarding how the name is extremely misleading, not the quality or validity of the hack itself. I'm sure the author means well, it must be a language barrier, but nonetheless I believe it affects RHDN as a whole.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 08:17:42 pm »
The author of the hardcore hacks appears to be Japanese, if you go to the site linked in his/her profile that becomes extremely obvious and the hacks are for Japanese versions.

FYI the author of the hack, FlameCyclone, is Chinese and not Japanese!

My favorite thing to do is read the hack descriptions made by non-English natives (mostly Russians) and then cringe while my OCD burns like a thousand fires. I have issues about spelling/grammar.
You should ask Danger X about the hack naming. Looking at FlameCyclones site, this Chinese character appears on most of his hacks' titles "旋风", Google translate says "Whirlwind" so "Hardcore" was irresponsibly added by Danger X. Should be renamed as "with cheat controls" or something.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:23:47 pm by Zynk »

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »

You should ask Danger X about the hack naming. Looking at FlameCyclones site, this Chinese character appears on most of his hacks' titles "旋风", Google translate says "Whirlwind" so "Hardcore" was irresponsibly added by Danger X. Should be renamed as "with cheat controls" or something.  >:(
I kept editing the message trying to decide Chinese or Japanese, because every time I put the site or it's contents into Google translate it came out one or the other. I should have just left the first unmodified message, in which I said Chinese first  :-[

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »
How bad/feasible is it to replace all of those "hardcore" to "whirlwind" now?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:28 pm »
I kept editing the message trying to decide Chinese or Japanese, because every time I put the site or it's contents into Google translate it came out one or the other. I should have just left the first unmodified message, in which I said Chinese first  :-[

If you don't know which it is just look to see if there's any hiragana or katakana. Looks much different than kanji. の is usually the first thing I look for because it's one of the easiest Japanese chars to recognize.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »
Should there be rules against google translating submissions?

*Cue the that's racist  gif meme that people use in jest* :D