logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Why do you Clean Game Carts  (Read 184 times)

Me_Dave

• Fallen into another project, Help..
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
Why do you Clean Game Carts
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:02 am »
I don't get why people make such a big deal out cleaning game cartridges, my policy is if it ain't broke don't fix it as I never clean a Cartridge unless it doesn't work or has a really bad connection where when I plug it in it doesn't work right away, if it works every time you plug it in why clean it. 

I know from personal experiences if you don't know what you are doing you can ruin a game with cleaning, in fact I had once owned a copy of the SNES game Super Street Fighter, my cat pooped on it, I had gotten most the poop off of the inside and it worked fine when I plugged it in, my stupid older brother came along and said clean it with alcohol the game never worked again it work fine when it still had some poop on it. lol

YouTube Channel
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
Twitter
:banghead: "that was weird, lets do it again"  :banghead

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you Clean Game Carts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:45:28 pm »
You don't care if cat poop gets in your console? :o
Isn't that kind of inviting bugs to find their way in?

A few months ago I opened all my Game Boy games and found this Japanese copy of Kirby's Star Stacker had a dead battery that had leaked all over the PCB. Using a water/baking soda mixture I think I got as much of the residue as I could off.
After drying I tested it and the game still function (aside from of course the saving), but it was still a pretty ugly sight.

Still, glad that I don't think I actually played it before that since I had bought it among a number of other cheap games from Japan several years ago.

In case anybody wants to see it in filthy state:
http://i.imgur.com/ke5GmPU.jpg
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:51:16 pm by KingMike »
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:23:37 pm »
A few months ago I opened all my Game Boy games and found this Japanese copy of Kirby's Star Stacker had a dead battery that had leaked all over the PCB.

Whoever ended up with the copy of Kung Fu I had for the NES got a cart full of cigarette butts. I don't know what possessed me to do it.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:27:40 pm »
Whoever ended up with the copy of Kung Fu I had for the NES got a cart full of cigarette butts. I don't know what possessed me to do it.

Were you trying to hide it or were you suffering from withdrawal effects..? I can't think of any other plausible reasons...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:25 pm »
Were you trying to hide it or were you suffering from withdrawal effects..? I can't think of any other plausible reasons...

I remember opening a bunch of those carts up to compare their guts at the time (late high school). I think I did it because I both hated that game and thought it was funny. The difference in weight was obvious. I can't help but wonder if anyone ever opened it back up. I'm sure they would have been completely baffled.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:44:33 pm »
Funny in theory but  can cigarette butts cause fires in that environment..?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:07:43 am »
Funny in theory but  can cigarette butts cause fires in that environment..?

Doesn't sound possible or realistic. The only thing they were going to do was stink.

Teeporage777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:27:51 pm »
When i were younger a friend loaned me his super mario world and looked at me and said if it didnt work run it under water. So i did dried it off it worked. I couldnt beleive. Thinking back that was very stupid of us.