logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: The Video Setting Thread  (Read 120 times)

Spooniest

• View Profile
The Video Setting Thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:11:25 am »
If you have trouble getting the video to look right in your ahem, entertainment software application which imitates other hardware, ahem, this is the thread for you.

Here is my first offering to the thread, for the SNES. Here's how you make a SNES game look right on a CRT using Wii...

http://imgur.com/g2kgpul <= Hopefully a direct link to the full res image

RetroArch 1.5.0 Wii running FF5 on the Snes9x 2005 Plus Core.

Video Settings

Resolution: 384x224.*
Soft Filter Enable: Off.
Aspect Ratio: 4:3.
Deflicker: Off.
Integer Scale: Off
Crop Overscan: On
Bilinear Filtering: Off.**
Video Filter: Blargg's RGB.

*(If at any time during the process of setting these settings, the screen does not appear at the right aspect ratio even though you've set it this way, just go the the "Monitor Index" option and press START to reset it...it's not really apparent that you can do it but that's what I do to make it work. If you really have troulbe, just set them all as above, then go to "Monitor Index" and press START on your controller.)

**(Actually, now that I've played it a bit, not having the bilinear filtering on makes the horizontal scrolling kind of 'wavy.' Turn it on I guess. Sorry)

Hope this helps for those who want the classic FF5 experience :)

Now, if you've ever had trouble getting a game to look right on your screen, share your findings here. Perhaps someone will happen by your instructions during a google search?

FOR DUTY AND HUMANITY
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:44:22 pm by Spooniest »

NERV Agent

• View Profile
Re: The Video Setting Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »
Also,

PROTIP: To stop screen tearing, turn on Vertical Sync in your GPU and emulator until screen tearing dies.

Oh, before I forget.

So I've been playing the Lunar games lately, and it just runs terribly on ePSXe. Not only does ePSXe's rumble not work on a real actual PSX controller, but there are sound issues with the Lunar games that won't be solved no matter what sound plugin you use (to my knowledge). But most pathetic of all is that there is screen tearing on a 2D game with sprite graphics, even if you do adjust the settings on your emulator and PC GPU. What the Hell?

I've been using pSX 1.13 for this, and the game looks fine. pSX does not enhance the graphics with your 3D card/chip like ePSXe does, but I find that its emulation is the closest to a 1:1 recreation of the real thing that I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:14:43 pm by NERV Agent »
GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN. ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD.

Spooniest

• View Profile
Re: The Video Setting Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:39:17 am »
So I've been playing the Lunar games lately, and it just runs terribly on ePSXe. Not only does ePSXe's rumble not work on a real actual PSX controller, but there are sound issues with the Lunar games that won't be solved no matter what sound plugin you use (to my knowledge). But most pathetic of all is that there is screen tearing on a 2D game with sprite graphics, even if you do adjust the settings on your emulator and PC GPU. What the Hell?

Have you tried the Software Rendering option? I find it's a little better for a 2-D game (as Lunar). It's below the regular plugin menu in Epsxe's 'Config>Plugins>Video' dialog.

Just load your game and hit F7 to switch to the Software Rendering you've set up in that menu...it's more bare-bones, good for 2-D stuff, I think...or was the last time I checked.

And it has a Vsync option at the very bottom, yeah. Die tearing die