News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tenjin Kaisen title feedback translation  (Read 670 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Tenjin Kaisen title feedback translation
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:22:22 pm »
I'm looking for some feedback and ideas I have on how to deal with this title. It was released in the US as Mercenary Force, but I don't want to use that title at all. The game really doesn't have much text, but I want to retranslate it in preparation of translating the weird sequel.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585797-mercenary-force/images

Ryusui's suggestion to me is to leave the title alone and just romanize it with maybe a subtitle such as Mercenary Force, but I don't quite agree with that. I kinda like the title Twilight Mercs vs. the Soulless Army. That's what I might use for a subtitle.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Tenjin Kaisen title feedback translation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:20:14 pm »
Or you could transliterate the title as "Holy Bizarre War" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:57 pm »
Dunno man.

The first set of kanji appear to be a term pronounced either tenjin, amatsukami, or tenshin. Looks like it can refer to a specific god "Tenjin", or a term for "heavenly gods" in general. I'd focus on this as one part, and the other two kanji as another part.

"Heavenly Gods"
Options here would be things like "Celestial Deities" or "Divine Lords". Basically any suitable synonyms.

Next part, 怪戦 is from a cursory search, used primarily in this game. Basically it's a bit of wordplay on "Kaisen" which has three spellings, 会戦, 回戦, 開戦. These mean stuff like "battle", "match" and "start of a war".

So take those known words and definitions, but swap out the first kanji with "aya/kai" from "ayashii" (suspicious) and "kaiki" (bizarre) and you have the "Kaisen" that appears in this game.

Judging by the title screen and enemies, I'd say this give it a supernatural twist. The "kai" used here is also used in "kaijuu" (monsters) and "kaidan" (ghost stories).
so "Phantom War"?
"Monster Battle"?
"Spirit War"?
Take your pick of that kind of stuff.

You're going to end up with something like, Divine Lords Monster Battle, or Celestial Deities Spirit War. Alternately you could keep Tenjin, and do Tenjin Phantom War or some such. If you can find some word soup that sounds good, I'd say go for it.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:34:58 pm »
Judging by the title screen and enemies, I'd say this give it a supernatural twist. The "kai" used here is also used in "kaijuu" (monsters) and "kaidan" (ghost stories).
so "Phantom War"?
"Monster Battle"?
"Spirit War"?
Take your pick of that kind of stuff.

Seconding this. I'd go with something a little more playful, though, like "Supernatural Slam."

Edit: I checked out the second game, and I have to say it's really intriguing. Weird but intriguing.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:37:13 pm by Eien Ni Hen »
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

hanhnn

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:50:14 am »
How about "Battle against good Demons and bad Angels".

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:32:10 pm »
Seconding this. I'd go with something a little more playful, though, like "Supernatural Slam."

Edit: I checked out the second game, and I have to say it's really intriguing. Weird but intriguing.  ;)

IMMORTAL KOMBAT!!

Just kidding.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:01:45 am »
Sounds like a wrestling game  :laugh:

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:16:08 am »
Cut and dry -- Blessed Warriors? Divine Spirits? The Five Virtues?

Or someone with knowledge of the Edo Period and Aviary art could tweak out some clever pun from that material - given the Japan boxart cover.