News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translations: Rampart (Konami Version) for the Famicom now fully playable in English!  (Read 1345 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: mrrichard999

Here to announce that this project is now 100% complete and fully playable in English! All the ASM issues and compression that was in the previous patch has been overcome and we can say that this is now complete! If you have played the regular Rampart for the NES and not this version, you definitely must check this out as it has more appeal and is a lot more fun than its counterpart that we were given on the US as there are different scenarios which a twist for each one. We hope you enjoy this release!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

goldenband

• View Profile
Excellent news! :D

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
This answers the question "What if an Atari game Rampart was made by a Japanese company?" Here's your answer!

koitsu

• View Profile
I just wanted to say congratulations on completion of this work, and I look forward to trying it out.

This was a game I was hacking and translating off-and-on, entirely by myself and privately, since 2011.  I'm glad this wonderful gem finally got done -- because it's a fantastic game -- but at the same time I feel horribly depressed because what feels like 6 years of RE work, notes, etc. were all for nothing.  No, I'm not upset (as in irritated/angry), it's just how the ball bounces and luck of the draw.
Making life hard for others since 1977.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
You could still release it, so your work doesn't go completely to waste. No problem having two.

I'm sure there's at least a couple games with multiple translations. And those were games that didn't absolutely need a translation in the first place, like Antarctic Adventure.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
That is a pity... though I notice you only joined RHDN to post that message. You were hacking this game for six years and never came to RHDN to detail your progress or tell anyone you were doing it? One reason it's a good idea to document your progress is so you don't get someone doing it instead without you knowing.

Plus, it's six years... if it takes you six years to translate this, you can't be too surprised that someone else might take up the mantle in the meantime and get it done before you. It happened to me when I made a start on the second Detective Conan game for the GBC, but I gave up on it and someone did it themselves several years later. I was annoyed because I thought they might have used my work without asking me, but I'm not sure they did (I haven't tried the patch).

As KingMike said, you could still upload it here if you're so inclined, though if it's not actually finished I can see why you might not feel like it's worth it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
You may not know who koitsu is, but he used to run parodius.com which was a significant host of ROMhacking sites in its day, including The Whirlpool, which RHDN was created as a successor to (well, with a broader scope. Whirlpool focused solely on English-language fan-translations)

I think he also uploaded some of the earliest NES technical documentation (as Yoshi, though I forget the exact spelling), though I imagine it has since been surpassed in accuracy, it is still a notable fact.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
You're right, I didn't know that. :) But six years is a long ass time to hack a game without telling anyone or even joining RHDN.

koitsu

• View Profile
I work on things solo, up until the point where I have things in a state/condition where I can hand over .tbl files to people who can do JP/EN translation without worry of text expansion causing problems (if possible/applicable).  I work at my own pace, because of health issues and lifestyle -- jobs tend to take up a lot of time, and when not at work, you don't always want to spend every waking moment working on romhacking things.  There are many of us "old-school" romhackers that do things this way, and going into all the reasons I think would be off-topic.  I think as many of us get older, real life begins sucking more and more energy out of us; you go from feeling like you can do anything/everything to being more selective.

Again: I'm not upset that this game got completed (I'm super glad! It's a fantastic title that I wish had gotten a real NA/EU release, and I look forward to trying the patch!), it's just one of those things where when you work on something for a long time, doing lots of reverse-engineering, hoping you can get it into a state where the translation phase can begin, only to find out someone did it first... it makes you go "dang it, had I known, maybe I would've spent my time differently".  I guess the "had I known" part goes both ways though; I hadn't thought to see if anyone was working on it, and that's totally my fault.  I don't want my comment to sound like it's a jab at the folks who worked on it.

As for not on RHDN: most of my time was spent on the nesdev forum.  RHDN forum isn't *that* new (in the grand scheme of things, considering how long I've been online).  Do you remember The Whirlpool/Donut?  I was on there and nesdev, those were the primary forums for me.  Given what I do/my background with all of this stuff, I really can't be everywhere at once (at one point I tried, it felt like a 16 hour a day job).

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
To each his own I say.

Having translated games that already had an existing official or fan translation, the main thing I look at is if I think I can do a better job than what's out there. If I can, that's enough for me to justify spending my precious free time reinventing the wheel. Do you feel you can do a better job? If so, if you were me, I would continue with your translation.

koitsu

• View Profile
No, I do not think I could do a better job.