News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Other: Castlevania 30th anniversary  (Read 36862 times)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: Other: Castlevania 30th anniversary
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 04:13:40 am »
HD pack for Mesen ?

(W10+Avast always deletes Nestopia.exe...)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 04:57:24 am »
Just a tip:

If an exe has the word "patch" in the title, it will be flagged as a virus one way or another, period. Y'all need to get more creative naming your programs.
Flagged by who/what? I have plenty of exe files with the word "patch" in the name. Rarely do they get flagged. Just curious..

(W10+Avast always deletes Nestopia.exe...)
Really? Never had that problem before. But then again, the last time I tested Avast none of my emu stuff was on the system being used for testing. Might be time for a new batch of tests...

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 07:13:24 am »
I missed the cv stream, hope someone else makes such a video.

I will do it again today, if people want to come by and see :D Really don't have much to do these days, especially not today.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 08:28:09 am »
Here a play-through. Who can beat my time? "30min"  Love the Facelift!! Thanks so much!! :D https://www.twitch.tv/videos/143362780
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:00:49 pm by bogaabogaa »

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 10:08:27 am »
cool, Castlevania 2 next please ;)

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
Flagged by who/what? I have plenty of exe files with the word "patch" in the name. Rarely do they get flagged. Just curious..
Really? Never had that problem before. But then again, the last time I tested Avast none of my emu stuff was on the system being used for testing. Might be time for a new batch of tests...

I assume stuff like file.pdf.exe flagged too... The virus scanner must assume the downloaded exe file is trying to pass as another filetype. This isn't really a rare attack...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
So if the ROM itself isn't being patched, does that mean this should be compatible with basic level hacks?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Pen8bits

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:09 am »
Guys, the hack is incomplete  :-\

haxSon

• There is no video game like yesterday's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:48 am »
Wow this is awesome. ;)

EDIT: wrong thread; apparently I don't know the method of posting here

EDIT2: V U D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:21:49 am by haxSon »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 02:28:05 am »
So if the ROM itself isn't being patched, does that mean this should be compatible with basic level hacks?
Yes It works. As far as I understand it does something like patching the tiles in VRAM. It is not limited to the 4 colors per tile (That had required some hacking at the nestopia I guess..) I didn't test much but I guess it would require extra work for each Hack that did changes to the ROM/tile-layout itself. But as you see in the picture new rom-hack graphics remain.. I am not a expert but tried my best to explain a little bit how I understand it. I am sure interested how it really works and how easy you can make this. If anybody knows more about this nestopia undead build and understands the NtsPpu.cpp, NstPpu.hpp, NstVideoFilterNone.cpp, NstVideoFilter2xSaI.cpp, NstVideoFilterScaleX.cpp files (yes you can build in Linux according to the readme.) Let us know  :woot!:

http://imgur.com/wd4YA7c

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:58:09 am by bogaabogaa »

kya

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:22 am »
To Pen8bits: sorry, missed that. Now fixed, available at the same location.

As for the other questions. As it was was already guessed, the patched emulator replaces original patterns with modified ones when rendering. If the replacement pattern is not found, the emulator renders the original one. Both the original and the replacement patterns are stored in a skin.png file. This file has no link to a ROM, so this indeed should work for basic level hacks, if the tiles themselves were not touched. And of course you can draw your own replacement patterns if you don't like those in the skin.png. Another consequence of not being tied to a ROM is that graphics can be changed for any ROM by redrawing original patterns in a skin.png. But if you dare do this, you should be aware of some important limitations. I'll write them down, if a need arises.

Concerning the request to make a patch for Castlevania 2, to my taste, it is good enough as it is. Actually I can't think of any other NES game that requires such a patching. The reason behind making this patch for Castlevania lies in how I got acquainted with the series. The first game I saw was Vampire Killer for the MSX 2. It was early 1988 in the computer classroom of our school. The NES version fell into my hands much later, in the beginning of the ninetees after the fall of the iron curtain, when parents bought as a Dendy (russian NES clone). I was shocked by the smoothness of the scrolling (both MSX and 286 PC had problems with it), but disliked the downgrade in the graphics. Ever since I dreamed of upgrading the NES version tiles to at least the MSX level. This would've never happened because I can't draw.

But KONAMI has redrawn the tiles for the mobile phone release of Castlevania. Unfortunately they've split the release in three parts, 6 stages each. The first one is widely available, but I can't find the second and the third anywhere. If you happen to stumble upon them, please let me know. Later KONAMI has released the complete edition for the Japanese phones. But they have redrawn the enemies, making them worse (to my liking). Anyway I would really like to get that version as well, to grab the original tiles for the font, intro and ending. I have the complete edition for Chinese phones, but the font there is hyeroglyphic, and the intro and the ending are redrawn once again for the worse.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:41:58 am by kya »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 08:17:19 pm »
This is awesome. More hacks should take advantage of things like this. Fuck the purists.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:41 am »
You need windows for this? wuuuut.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »
This is awesome!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »
So basically we can't play this in any other emulator that's not Nestopia?
And there's no way to make it a standalone patch for the ROM I'm assuming, right?

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 02:58:46 pm »
It's not working for me at all..  Do i need to unzip my CastleVania rom?  Have the rom in the same EXACT folder as the patch tiles?

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »
This would go great with a patch that enhanced the sound effects and music!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 07:11:20 pm »
So basically we can't play this in any other emulator that's not Nestopia?
And there's no way to make it a standalone patch for the ROM I'm assuming, right?

It appears to step beyond the bounds of what is capable on a real NES so it wouldn't make any sense to place the changes in the ROM itself. It is probably stuck being a hacked emulator hack.

Let's hope this doesn't turn into Puzzledude's IQ Test thread all over again... :P

-pepodmc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:07 pm »
It happened to me the same with some translations of emulators that you create, it is a pity I wanted to share in the site, but i thought it better to avoid inconveniences, if anyone is interested the list is:

FCEUX | VirtuaNES | Nestopia

Gens r57shell mod | Kega Fusion |Gens32Surreal

DeSmuME  (EspaƱol) ;)

spanish translations? give it to me now XD (REALLY)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:28 pm »
That's a good point, why not make it replace the music too? You could pick some proper remixes and include them in the download.