News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Am I alone on Breath of the Wild?  (Read 2770 times)

FCandChill

• View Profile
Am I alone on Breath of the Wild?
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:47:17 pm »
    When the game was released, I heard a whole lot of gamers praising Breath of The Wild ... claiming it was the best game they've ever played. I bought into the hype like with Skyward Sword and at first impressed and later greatly disappointed. The game has several good points:

The good...

• The game greatly improves upon the series, which was getting stale. It no longer forces you to go from point A to B with very restrictive boundaries.
  • Impressive draw distance
  • Plenty of items and weapons.
  • The sound effects are crisp and nice to listen to.
  • The music is very atmospheric.
  • The cel shaded graphics look very nice. The game also adjusts the lighting and fog to whatever it sees fit. The transition into the lost woods for example drastically alters the mood of the game. The grass is very impressive.
  • There's a slew of mini-dungeons spread out across the world.
  • There's a gimmicky island where you lose all of your equipment and items. It becomes a survival and gathering situation ... It's the highlight of the game!
  • Tight controls
The bad...

• The world is expansive. This may seem like a plus at first, but most of the game is empty space. The seeds you have to collect breaks up the monotony, but that's it. It's worse than Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time.
  • The game is honestly way too easy ... but gets pointlessly hard at points. More often than not, I avoided overpowered enemies because of the minimal reward.
  • Combat becomes tedious because of the little reward from it... So I tended to avoid them. The combat is too simple.
  • The number of items is nice but then you constantly keep finding the items over and over again. After a while, it feels pointless...
  • Besides for armor and arrows, the shops and traders offer items that you can find for free.
  • The game has built in save states... This makes the game easy.
  • No book to keep recipes.
  • A lot of textures are stretched out. The camera item blurs your view when you zoom in on purpose so you don't notice this as much.
  • The voice acting is bad

Overall, Breath of the Wild feels like a hollow adventure sandbox game. It's a great improvement to the series ... but games like Blood Borne have done it better. In the beginning of the game, the game excels at making you managing your resources and stresses tactics. Once you get armor and get better weapons, the game looses it's complexity. For example, in the snow area in the plateau, I had to use a lighted torch so I didn't freeze to death. I had to manage my health and keep the fire going. A situation like this is lost once you get cold-resistant armor...[/list]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:54:25 pm by FCandChill »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Am I alone on Breath of the Wild?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:02:19 pm »
Nope, I feel the same way. I have only played it for 2 hours so far or so, but I just can't get into it. I play it for 10 minutes running through empty fields and then lose interest and put it away. That happens every time I pick it up. I'd just rather play something engaging instead :-\

I don't care about difficulty, but at least at the very start I actually find the game just to be plain badly balanced. There are lot's of enemies that kill you in one hit early on. Makes it -really- fun to stick with it and combat through a camp despite that and then get rewarded with 5 arrows for your troubles. So much motivation to keep playing...

I'm sure it'll get better once you are really into the flow of the game. If it ever builds one. But I dunno if I'll ever make it there at this point when I can just pick up and play Persona 5 or Horizon instead and I feel like I get rewarded for my time playing.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »
I'm sure it'll get better once you are really into the flow of the game. If it ever builds one. But I dunno if I'll ever make it there at this point when I can just pick up and play Persona 5 or Horizon instead and I feel like I get rewarded for my time playing.
Nope..! In fact, the tutorial section gives you the most direction in the entire game. For me, I filled out the map, so I got rather far in the game.

I don't care about difficulty, but at least at the very start I actually find the game just to be plain badly balanced. There are lot's of enemies that kill you in one hit early on. Makes it -really- fun to stick with it and combat through a camp despite that and then get rewarded with 5 arrows for your troubles. So much motivation to keep playing...
This. There's a lot of things to to but with little payoff! There's also dungeons that are literally a room with a chest!

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:22 pm »
Outside of loyal fanboys, it seems to be the consensus that the game is lukewarm, at best, and the switch is a dumpster fire.

I tried it at a friend of a friend's house.

Things I liked:
- The game design philosophy of being a huge open world. The illusion that it's a sprawling landscape full of secrets. As if it's the more realistic version of the compellingly contrived secrets in the classic Zelda games.

Things I disliked:
- Link's design does not interest me. Too generic blonde compared to the designs of the past. Seems like an un-ironic Finn from Adventure Time to me. Or just run of the mill aryan worship from nihon. (Fine when new, but now beyond played out)

- The portable vs docked mode of the game is shitty. 30 fps portable with gimped graphics, while average fps in the 20s when docked. And this is probably what takes people out of the game and its huge design philosophy. I've heard the N fanboys repeat the "not about graphics" mantra, but the problem here is that smooth graphics are required to not get in the way of the huge world illusion; that's my theory anyway.

On top of that, I've heard the stories of Switch hardware failures and nobody seems impressed by that. I will have to admit, as an anti-nintendo person, I am enjoying this 2nd failure in a row by that arrogant toy company. Maybe their theme parks will work out.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:24:34 pm »
I get the feeling I wouldn't care for this game very much.

Though... interestingly, FCandChill... I watch Previously Recorded, and they did a review of this game where they sung its praises.  Although... what's really weird is some of the things you listed as positives, they listed as negatives, and vice versa!  XD

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »
- The portable vs docked mode of the game is shitty. 30 fps portable with gimped graphics, while average fps in the 20s when docked. And this is probably what takes people out of the game and its huge design philosophy. I've heard the N fanboys repeat the "not about graphics" mantra, but the problem here is that smooth graphics are required to not get in the way of the huge world illusion; that's my theory anyway.

The game also goes from 30 fps to 0fps when you battle larger enemies in 4 .... pretty lame...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
The game also goes from 30 fps to 0fps when you battle larger enemies in 4 .... pretty lame...

Damn. Shouldn't issues like this be extinct in the year 2017? WTF...
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:48:28 am »
The Switch is basically a mid-range nvidia tablet. That's why it happens.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:08 am »
Still, you'd think that if anyone would know how to get a game running smoothly, it'd be the first party.

Personally, I'm just apathetic to the Switch in general. No more gimmicks, damnit... Then there's the warping, scratching, and other issues some people seem to have.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:22 am »
Nintendo should quit hardware sales, or maybe stick with updating their traditional handhelds.

Vanilla Lumina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 06:51:39 am »
Nintendo should quit hardware sales, or maybe stick with updating their traditional handhelds.
I don't think more iterations of the 3DS would sell very well, people would get tired of it.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:36 am »
I don't think more iterations of the 3DS would sell very well, people would get tired of it.

Isn't that what the Switch is?  It's effectively a bulky handheld with a video-out line.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 10:35:33 am »
I would get a Switch if it were aggressively priced ($200). I would also get the hypothetical package ($200) that doesn't include a dock (and I can buy one later if I want).

Their competition is aggressively priced. I'm not sure why Nintendo can get away with a premium price.

Anyway, the hardware is overpriced so no BotW for me. Wii U, which I also don't have, commands a pretty high price, too.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
I'm not having these issues. But I'm always playing plugged into the dock on a TV so maybe that's why. Nintendo has stated that the NS runs full speed when plugged in and down-clocks itself in portable mode to conserve battery. None of the games I have get perceptively "laggy" in either case though.. On your other points, I can see how you might see some of those points as negatives, but the reality is that the expansive nature of the game adds to the non-linearity of the game and gives it such an open, liberating feeling. You can go nearly anywhere and do anything in any order[to a point].
The Switch is basically a mid-range nvidia tablet. That's why it happens.
I have several Android Nvidia Tegra based devices and I have had nothing but fun with them. And to be fair, the X1 is anything but mid-range. The Tegra K1 performs so well that nothing tops it in the mobile world[including anything from Apple] except it's big brother. The Tegra X1, which is what the NS is based on, has 25% more shader cores and is made on a more refined lithography process making it more power efficient.

As for the value implied by others, no one here has any complaints. Everyone in this house loves it. Our NS gets more use than the PS4 and WiiU combined.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:56:38 am by lexluthermiester »