News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Emulate auto-fire and programmable buttons on a PC gamepad?  (Read 4632 times)

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
I've been looking to purchase a new PC gamepad for reasons, and I am starting to realize that there are no PC gamepads out there have auto-fire and programmable buttons (like combos) like my good old PSX controller.

Is there software out there that can emulate auto-fire as well as programming a set of commands to a single button (or key on the keyboard) while playing on an emulator?

I checked out Xpadder, and it is mainly for mapping keyboard and mouse commands onto a gamepad. There is an "auto-fire" feature in that program, but that would mean I would have to set an emulator for keyboard input, then make a new Xpadder profile with the appropriate keyboard commands and then run Xpadder, which is cumbersome. Also, Xpadder does not have a "programmable button" feature that I know of.

I would just like to avoid Xpadder completely, since having to make a new profile for every emulator I use is too time consuming.

Another alternative for me is a USB Xbox controller with auto-fire and programmable buttons, but I can't find such a thing that exists.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that if I use Xpadder for such a thing, I lose all force feedback since the emulator isn't "connected" to a controller anymore.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:59:42 am by NERV Agent »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Emulate auto-fire and programmable buttons on a PC gamepad?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 04:27:59 am »
I can't rule it out but as most emulators have rapid fire, and as there are programs to do macros (programmable buttons/combos makes sense but macros is the term most commonly used for it, another is keystroke recorder but good luck separating those key loggers) I imagine most controller makers skip doing it in hardware. I imagine if you wanted you could open up whatever controller you get, find the test pads for the buttons you want and wire in a microcontroller to do it, however if fiddling with software is "too time consuming" (not a mindset likely to endear you by the way) then that is probably right out.

Afraid I have not kept up with the joypad to whatever and vice versa world for a while. It gets annoying, and the devs within it seem to like succumbing to the adware and odd charging mentality (apparently they are just catching up with the world of 2003). Similarly for macros you might be better off finding a conventional macro program and using that if you have some more complex needs.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:29:48 am »
JoyToKey(Windows)
Antimicro (Windows: Linux ports also available as well as source code)
QJoyPad (Linux)

There are others: These are just the three I've used extensively over the past 15 years.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:08 am »
Tucked away, very deeply in steam, you can take any generic controller and customize it to your whim. They've got some really neat settings, but you have to look up what a lot of the stuff does because valve only knows how to implement their client's features half-assedly and is even worse about explaining said features.

Here's an article on how to enable controller configuration for generic controllers: https://www.howtogeek.com/234427/how-to-remap-buttons-on-your-steam-controller/

You can also configure desktop settings, making the settings more usable for emulators. I use a steam controller, so I'm not sure if desktop bindings work for generic controllers. Do note that you have to keep steam open if you want to use desktop bindings.