News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Googie wants to hack Zelda 1...  (Read 2928 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Googie wants to hack Zelda 1...
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:24 pm »
After playing some Conker's High Rule Tail, I decided I wanna make a zelda hack, so I used the Zelda Randomizer to randomize the dungeons, since I dunno how the dungeons in this game works. I used Pacnsacdave's hack as a base. There's things I wanna edit, like fighting a boss before you get the Triforce, I don't like the idea of getting it without fighting a boss. Here's the things I plan to edit...

1. Change the whole over world.
2. Edit the dungeon enemies around in a way that you fight a boss before getting the Triforce, and getting the heart container afterwards.

How hard is this game to hack?

Will I be able to use the Dungeon editors available to fix some dungeons around to my liking, even after using the randomizer? :confused: 

The juices are working to edit the over world to the way I want. Here's a peek of the level one dungeon...   

If somma you Zelda experts wanna give this a shot, snag the hack here. I would really appreciate any type of advice in making this hack a good hack.

I'm using Zelda Tech and Dungeon Master for this hack,  my thing is to fight a boss, get the heart container and the triforce since the randomizer you don't have to fight a boss to get the triforce and the heart container. And I'm having a problem with Zelda Tech, I have no idea how to move things around. I'm learning how to change stuff in the over world, like for example, where you got the wooden sword I want to move that somewhere else.

This is what the beginning looks like where you get the wooden sword, for now. :D

Again thanks for any tips, it's late I gotta go to bed...  :thumbsup:

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Googie wants to hack Zelda 1...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:36:43 am »
Okay, some advice:

- Why are you using a randomizer?  Don't.  Just don't.

You want this hack to be something that you yourself are creating.  I wouldn't use a randomizer.

You're saying that you want to be able to get the triforce after fighting a boss.  That is a feature of the original game.  Are you saying that the randomizer is putting the triforce in a random room, so you are able to get it without fighting the boss?  If so, again, another reason not to use the randomizer.

Using a graphics patch is one thing, me personally, I wouldn't use a randomizer.

- Second, this is a personal choice, but use my Optimum patch that I made a while ago.  It gives you MMC5 and CHR-ROM, and is compatible with ZeldaTech and DungeonMaster.  You can easily do frame animation, and do some other neat things with the MMC5 mapper, and it allows your ROM to have a ton of free space if you need it.  The PRG and CHR are maxed out, with the ROM size being 2MB.

- With the level editors, you could always make an experimental hack, just messing with the editors to see what you can and can't do.  You can also try some other editors as well.  If I recall correctly, there is a Zelda Improvement editor as well, but it is for DOS.  Might be the same as ZeldaTech though.  Worth looking into.

Anyway, I think it is cool that you are hacking Zelda.  Good luck with it! :)

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:46:02 am »
Don't use a randomizer, you'll end up spending too much time undoing stuff you don't want.  Also, your concept is really vague, and I don't really know what you even changed in the patch you posted (aside from all the changes of the base patch used and randomizing).
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:51:31 pm »
I'll scratch this project off my list, not very motivated to work on it now...

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:03 am »
Then please change the thread title - to better reflect your unwillingnes to hack Zelda.

/dACE

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:41 am »
Hi Googie.

Dr. Floppy made an extremely thorough ROM hack of Legend of Zelda called Legend of Iowa. You may want to contact him about this, as he may be able to help you.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:46:29 am »
The problem with Zelda, is that unless you are doing some extensive hacking to it, there's not really all that much you can do with it.  ASM hacks for new enemy behavior, modifications to existing weapons, new game features, etc.  Otherwise it's just a basic graphics/level hack.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:28:22 am »
Sorry for my other post, I was in a depressed mood.

Okay so I won't use the randomizer for the dungeons, I'll start editing the over world first. I still need to figure out how to move the pointers to different places.
RetroRain: I don't mind making this hack being a basic graphic/level hack, I just want to hack something different. I'm down to trying out your patch though, so when I get back from running errands I'll get down with this... :D

EDIT 

I want to use this patch as a base, but I did find another LoZ hack from 2005 that has graphics are the GB game Link's Awakening.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:22:46 pm by Googie »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 02:31:12 am »
Anyone else read the title as "Google wants to hack Zelda 1", and was hugely disapointed when figuring out that wasn't the case ?

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »
Anyone else read the title as "Google wants to hack Zelda 1", and was hugely disapointed when figuring out that wasn't the case ?

People always call my Google, I get that a lot on the internet.  :banghead:

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:03:04 pm »
Don't give up on ASM hacks, just have a plan and ideas, and if they're doable, great, if not, then they're still good ideas and someone might make them for you (or maybe they already did!).  Personally I try to take coding/hacking difficulty out of the picture when coding or romhacking.  There are times where I thought something was nearly impossible but turned out to be easy, and vice versa.
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »
Then please change the thread title - to better reflect your unwillingnes to hack Zelda.

/dACE
Please ignore this user in particular. All he does is come on this site to harass other actual content creators.
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 07:07:11 pm »
Please ignore this user in particular. All he does is come on this site to harass other actual content creators.

That's actually not true - you are only reacting to some comment I made on the Newcomer's board.

/dACE

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 11:27:55 pm »

If you are going to create some drama, bring it to your local KFC restaurant somewhere else.
Is the pool clean?