logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Seperating English and Non-English translations into 2 seperate areas on home pa  (Read 625 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Thought this might be a good idea since this is an English majority site and we have been getting a lot of other language submissions lately, would there be a way to separate English translations and non English translations on the right side of the home page? Figure this would be more convenient for English only audiences so they can see whats new and whats been updated for just that language while the other languages have their own category.
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons

Bregalad

• View Profile
Thought this might be a good idea since this is an English majority site
I think it's a not a good idea. This is not an english majority site - for example English is a foreign language to me. I just use English on the forums because everyone else do. It's already very easy to filter translations by "language" tag, in particular, it's already one single click to filter only English language translations.

FAST6191

• View Profile
I figure http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&languageid=12&dir=1&order=Date exists for a reason, and the translations section defaults to English as well.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
I think it's a not a good idea. This is not an english majority site - for example English is a foreign language to me. I just use English on the forums because everyone else do. It's already very easy to filter translations by "language" tag, in particular, it's already one single click to filter only English language translations.

I am not trying to say that one language is better than the other but since there are no posts that are really foreign and a lot of the users that come here are ones that speak English overall, it would be helpful since the majority of the translations here done are English ones. It would be just for the front page section only that I would suggest.
8x8 Icons

Bregalad

• View Profile
I am not trying to say that one language is better than the other but since there are no posts that are really foreign and a lot of the users that come here are ones that speak English overall, it would be helpful since the majority of the translations here done are English ones. It would be just for the front page section only that I would suggest.
As they pointed out, the "Language" field already defaults to "English", so you don't even have to do any additional click when you're searching for english translations. How that would still not content you is beyond my imagination.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
As they pointed out, the "Language" field already defaults to "English", so you don't even have to do any additional click when you're searching for English translations. How that would still not content you is beyond my imagination.

I am only regarding the home screen. There have been so many translations lately in Spanish and other languages as of lately that when you are looking for updates or just looking to see just ones in English, the other language submissions edge them out, so figured for those who come here for the English ones that if they had their own main category while the other ones are together, it would be more convenient for English game playing audiences who come to the site.

This is just a simple thing that could be easily coded on the home page that English game playing users would probably like.  Not sure why you think this is a negative thing for the most part as its more for convenience.
8x8 Icons

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think he's just talking about the news articles. I know it would help me out anyway. I have some serious attention issues so having to read every entry in the news article just to recognize which new translations aren't the ones I don't care about is kind of a pain. I know it sound simple but for me it isn't (still waiting for my medication to get approved). If I were to take the suggestions from the replies here I would have to go from the front page to the translation section every time there's a news post about translations.

Just to add to mrrichard's point a little, pretty much every part of this site is in english from what I've seen.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
I don't see how this is an issue??? The site caters enough to English-language speakers as it is - no need to "other" everything further.

One thing that would be nice, though, is separating out the entries in the "New Translations" news post by language. Take the last post (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24052.0) for example: everything's all jumbled together there. Why not have, like, all the Arabic translations, then all the Hungarian translations, then all the Spanish translations, then that one Italian translation... all separated by a line break to distinguish them. You can make mrrichard999 happy and put all the English ones first, even. :)

And you can do the same thing with the Hacks and Utilities news, and separate them out by category. I think it would really improve readability for the automated stuff.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
One thing that would be nice, though, is separating out the entries in the "New Translations" news post by language. Take the last post (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24052.0) for example: everything's all jumbled together there. Why not have, like, all the Arabic translations, then all the Hungarian translations, then all the Spanish translations, then that one Italian translation... all separated by a line break to distinguish them. You can make mrrichard999 happy and put all the English ones first, even. :)

And you can do the same thing with the Hacks and Utilities news, and separate them out by category. I think it would really improve readability for the automated stuff.
I can see that working great for languages like Spanish or Chinese that tend to get a lot of submissions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:49:21 am by Chronosplit »

Bregalad

• View Profile
That's definitely a good idea. As long as the translations are separated in automatically-generated news articles and not in the database itself, it's fine.

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
Maybe preferred language could be set in your user profile and the relevant translations could be highlighted in the news posts. Like something as simple as a bold font. That would be nice and simple.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
In the next update, they will at least be grouped by language (although still a single list). Separation into multiple lists will be included in a more comprehensive change to RHDNBot reporting sometime soon. All reported sections could benefit from more intelligent grouping and separations and several front page changes are in the works. ;)
TransCorp - Nearing 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
In the next update, they will at least be grouped by language (although still a single list). Separation into multiple lists will be included in a more comprehensive change to RHDNBot reporting sometime soon. All reported sections could benefit from more intelligent grouping and separations and several front page changes are in the works. ;)
Perhaps having a drop-down option in the search for language selection? Seems logical as there are a ton of non-english translations being worked on and released already. If this was already suggested, please forgive me, only lightly glossed over the thread after the first few posts.

rainponcho

• Crumble Quality!
    • View Profile
In the next update, they will at least be grouped by language (although still a single list). Separation into multiple lists will be included in a more comprehensive change to RHDNBot reporting sometime soon. All reported sections could benefit from more intelligent grouping and separations and several front page changes are in the works.

You're hard at work lately! That's a small change (front page news translations) but big important jump in user-friendly access, compared to the last translation news post.

This site is getting better fast. :)

setz

• View Profile
    • sj-gfx
This was a great idea
-sj