News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Arcturus - The Curse and Loss of Divinity  (Read 11897 times)

Imaynotbehere4long

• View Profile
Re: Arcturus - The Curse and Loss of Divinity
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:46 am »
I know some people can be sticklers for direct translations, so I'm not sure if I should go with "Republic's Capital Dome", or "Capital of the Republic Dome".
I can give some feedback on this one: "Republic's Capital Dome" makes it sound like the Republic has a bunch of domes, and that one is the main dome, while "Capital of the Republic Dome" makes it sound like there are multiple cities in the dome, and that city is the capital of the ones in the dome (but not the Republic's main capital).

Personally, I like 'Dome, Capital of the Republic', but that's just me :)
How about "Dome, the Republic's capital city"? I always prefer when text is altered to make things clearer, even if it means not being completely faithful to the original dialogue.

ArcturusFan

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2018, 09:04:32 am »
The guide was right, the item shop in Martunie thankfully still sells Catalysts in Chapter 3. Apparently the guards in Elhive were very wealthy, since I ended Chapter 2 with more than 300k gold without even noticing I had amassed such an amount of money  :laugh: In the end I bought some 250 Kronheim and a lot of other Catalysts plus 50 revive items, since all the new armors and shields available were so heavy and damaging to my fighters' speed they didn't seem very useful.

I have a little question about this: are those heavy armor and weapons I keep finding and seeing in shops supposed to be used later, when the speed stat goes higher by levelling, are they completely useless or does the game suggest having a tank with a lot of BP is a viable option, even if he has a turn  while Sizz does four? Sizz and Ai are as fast as lightning and hit harder than my fighters despite having worse weapons, without even considering their spells, while the fighters are mostly useless aside from the higher BP and Elluard's HP damage skill.

LunaireticOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:22 am »
I have a little question about this: are those heavy armor and weapons I keep finding and seeing in shops supposed to be used later, when the speed stat goes higher by levelling, are they completely useless or does the game suggest having a tank with a lot of BP is a viable option, even if he has a turn  while Sizz does four? Sizz and Ai are as fast as lightning and hit harder than my fighters despite having worse weapons, without even considering their spells, while the fighters are mostly useless aside from the higher BP and Elluard's HP damage skill.

To be quite honest, that's how my party ended up. Sizz and Ai, the two Humanists, are amazing characters even with default attacks, while everyone else aside from Elluard with Occipital Blast ended up being rather mediocre in terms of damage, so I had to relegate them to tank status because they were also too slow. I'm not sure how others played the game, but my only two speedy characters were Sizz and Ai with the Winged Boots and Loose Socks.

Ai is an interesting case because she doesn't learn offensive magic normally, so it's actually viable to replace the Holy Fire Bells with any of the hand-to-hand weapons. If I remember right, those actually hit three times with a single normal attack.

ArcturusFan

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2018, 01:36:22 pm »
To be quite honest, that's how my party ended up. Sizz and Ai, the two Humanists, are amazing characters even with default attacks, while everyone else aside from Elluard with Occipital Blast ended up being rather mediocre in terms of damage, so I had to relegate them to tank status because they were also too slow. I'm not sure how others played the game, but my only two speedy characters were Sizz and Ai with the Winged Boots and Loose Socks.

Ai is an interesting case because she doesn't learn offensive magic normally, so it's actually viable to replace the Holy Fire Bells with any of the hand-to-hand weapons. If I remember right, those actually hit three times with a single normal attack.
Really? I never changed Ai's weapon so far since the stats seemed to go down with everything else, if there's an additional hit though the damage should actually improve.

Any other tip for the game's last stretch?

Another question, I noticed the game has been throwing areound a ton of new characters since Chapter 2,
Spoiler:
like the Leighrant generals, the Imperial Kings generals and others, will any of them amount to something or are they unimportant like that farmer in Merhem or the Six Sages, which were killed off surprisingly fast without explaining their role whatsoever?
Normally I would assume those characters to have a stronger role, but the game doesn't really give the enemies much screen time.

LunaireticOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
Really? I never changed Ai's weapon so far since the stats seemed to go down with everything else, if there's an additional hit though the damage should actually improve.

Any other tip for the game's last stretch?

Another question, I noticed the game has been throwing areound a ton of new characters since Chapter 2,
Spoiler:
like the Leighrant generals, the Imperial Kings generals and others, will any of them amount to something or are they unimportant like that farmer in Merhem or the Six Sages, which were killed off surprisingly fast without explaining their role whatsoever?
Normally I would assume those characters to have a stronger role, but the game doesn't really give the enemies much screen time.

If you plan to use her for magic attacks, always keep the Holy Fire Bells.

The last stretch is a doozy because enemies and bosses continue to rise in HP while your characters deal very lackluster damage with normal attacks. Sizz will be your primary damage dealer, most likely with Fire Shower/Salamander/Fire Pillar. Mastema and Meteor Strike cost too much for what Fire Shower can already do. You'll most likely be using Occipital Blast over and over like I did.

As for the characters introduced... they kinda don't get any more screen time or importance beyond the scene they're present in, even though they get full-screen portraits. It's a shame, because they seem like they should've been more developed than they were. Perhaps budget costs or deadline issues?

ArcturusFan

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:14 am »
As for the characters introduced... they kinda don't get any more screen time or importance beyond the scene they're present in, even though they get full-screen portraits. It's a shame, because they seem like they should've been more developed than they were. Perhaps budget costs or deadline issues?
This is exactly what I thought, to be honest it feels they had a ton of ideas for the game but they ended up having to downsize or scrap a lot of them once they get halfway. Chapter 1 was wonderful because it had a lot of freedom and side contents, which added a lot to the lore and made it possible to develop all characters and create a bit of foreshadowing. Some things were apparently a bit rushed, at least going with what Helly said about the Golden Temple being partially downsized during development and ending up being an incomplete dungeon, but overall it was a very strong chapter with tons of locations to visit, a lot of material and a better sense of scope than most jrpgs, especially story driven ones.

At the beginning of Chapter 2, however, it felt like the story progressed way too fast for its own good during the painfully long cutscene after Nebuchadnezzar, and after that the game became much more linear, side content basically disappeared and whole plotlines seem to be scrapped
Spoiler:
(the Cardinal in Baara and the King's Fate, Elluard's sister, the conflict within Ai's sect, the Six Sages)
even as a lot of new characters were introduced just for a single event. Even party members started feeling underdeveloped, I think Chapter 2 ended up giving only Elluard and Sizz the time they deserved, and even then they didn't feel as fleshed out as they were in Chapter 1 despite their changes.

Chapter 3 possibly feels even more rushed, with a lot of maps that feel both huge and incomplete, like Constellarium with its missing third floor and Laodicea. That one is so big it seems like a town they planned to use a lot and yet it apparently became a completely optional map with lots of buildings you can't access and a lack of field connections to the rest of the world. I haven't explored the optional castle yet, but the fact it's the only area connected to Laodicea and that the
Spoiler:
Emperor died off screen in a really anticlimatic way
makes me think the story could have initially been a bit different, maybe requiring the party to actually chase Dain to the castle after his escape from Constellarium. Of course I'm still in Chapter 3, so maybe both Laodicea and the castle will show up as story location and this paragraph will be contradicted by facts  :laugh:

Regardless, I'm still enjoying this game a lot and I'm curious to see where the story is heading, I just hoped the game would progress at the same pace as Chapter 1 in order to explore its themes and characters a bit better.

February 02, 2018, 12:05:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Probably Lunairetic already submitted those bugs, but I had a ton of missing actor\warp errors in the long cutscene  at the end of Chapter 3, so many in fact that I think I missed all the
Spoiler:
Apocalypse
events aside from the Bible quotes until I had what seems to be an hard crash (it looked like yet another warp\actor error before the game went black screen on me) a bit after Ai quoted the Avesta.

Is there a way to fix this? Unfortunately there's no way to save between those events and to reach that point I would have to sit through roughly 40 minutes of cutscenes :-X
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:05:22 pm by ArcturusFan »

LunaireticOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2018, 02:44:24 pm »
This is exactly what I thought, to be honest it feels they had a ton of ideas for the game but they ended up having to downsize or scrap a lot of them once they get halfway. Chapter 1 was wonderful because it had a lot of freedom and side contents, which added a lot to the lore and made it possible to develop all characters and create a bit of foreshadowing. Some things were apparently a bit rushed, at least going with what Helly said about the Golden Temple being partially downsized during development and ending up being an incomplete dungeon, but overall it was a very strong chapter with tons of locations to visit, a lot of material and a better sense of scope than most jrpgs, especially story driven ones.

At the beginning of Chapter 2, however, it felt like the story progressed way too fast for its own good during the painfully long cutscene after Nebuchadnezzar, and after that the game became much more linear, side content basically disappeared and whole plotlines seem to be scrapped
Spoiler:
(the Cardinal in Baara and the King's Fate, Elluard's sister, the conflict within Ai's sect, the Six Sages)
even as a lot of new characters were introduced just for a single event. Even party members started feeling underdeveloped, I think Chapter 2 ended up giving only Elluard and Sizz the time they deserved, and even then they didn't feel as fleshed out as they were in Chapter 1 despite their changes.

Chapter 3 possibly feels even more rushed, with a lot of maps that feel both huge and incomplete, like Constellarium with its missing third floor and Laodicea. That one is so big it seems like a town they planned to use a lot and yet it apparently became a completely optional map with lots of buildings you can't access and a lack of field connections to the rest of the world. I haven't explored the optional castle yet, but the fact it's the only area connected to Laodicea and that the
Spoiler:
Emperor died off screen in a really anticlimatic way
makes me think the story could have initially been a bit different, maybe requiring the party to actually chase Dain to the castle after his escape from Constellarium. Of course I'm still in Chapter 3, so maybe both Laodicea and the castle will show up as story location and this paragraph will be contradicted by facts  :laugh:

Regardless, I'm still enjoying this game a lot and I'm curious to see where the story is heading, I just hoped the game would progress at the same pace as Chapter 1 in order to explore its themes and characters a bit better.

February 02, 2018, 12:05:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Probably Lunairetic already submitted those bugs, but I had a ton of missing actor\warp errors in the long cutscene  at the end of Chapter 3, so many in fact that I think I missed all the
Spoiler:
Apocalypse
events aside from the Bible quotes until I had what seems to be an hard crash (it looked like yet another warp\actor error before the game went black screen on me) a bit after Ai quoted the Avesta.

Is there a way to fix this? Unfortunately there's no way to save between those events and to reach that point I would have to sit through roughly 40 minutes of cutscenes :-X

Yeah, almost everything from Act II onwards is definitely linear and not really tailored toward general exploration. They may have wanted to get the ball rolling and bring out the meat of the story straight away. Unfortunately, that means too much of everything locked away for plot reasons, like the availability of high-end equipment shops at the endgame (where you'll be making so much gild and have nothing good to spend it on, and even getting equipment for Act I Sizz).

That female farmer probably died in the divine apocalypse too. A lot of side-stuff doesn't really tend to go anywhere, and she was most likely character development for Tenzi's sake, as well as getting a critical chance accessory.

Also, that castle beyond Laodicea seems to require something to bypass its barrier, so I did the obvious thing and jumped into the send-back zone, switched lead characters, and ran inside. ;D

ArcturusFan

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2018, 08:08:15 am »
Spoiler:
Apocalypse

Is there a way to fix this? Unfortunately there's no way to save between those events and to reach that point I would have to sit through roughly one hour of cutscenes and two bosses :-X

Yeah, almost everything from Act II onwards is definitely linear and not really tailored toward general exploration. They may have wanted to get the ball rolling and bring out the meat of the story straight away. Unfortunately, that means too much of everything locked away for plot reasons, like the availability of high-end equipment shops at the endgame (where you'll be making so much gild and have nothing good to spend it on, and even getting equipment for Act I Sizz).

That female farmer probably died in the divine apocalypse too. A lot of side-stuff doesn't really tend to go anywhere, and she was most likely character development for Tenzi's sake, as well as getting a critical chance accessory.

Also, that castle beyond Laodicea seems to require something to bypass its barrier, so I did the obvious thing and jumped into the send-back zone, switched lead characters, and ran inside. ;D
I think I missed the chance to visit the castle, I thought it would unlock normally. I also noticed the compass mentions another town when you're in Philadelphia, but the entrance is blocked. I guess it was the village where Tenzi was exiled long ago? Maybe they wished to make it explorable and then cut it.

After the events at the end of Chapter 3, I was wondering
Spoiler:
what the point of Chapter 2 and 3's events were, considering the bigger picture. The whole Republican civil war and the attack on the Empire could have never happened, or happened without the party's involvement, and the Apocalypse would apparently have still taken place regardless, so the party's actions seemed unconsequential whereas going to Baara to rescue Sizz's original body and prevent Elizabeth's ceremony could have stopped everything. It's strange Sizz got sidetracked so much and didn't even attempt to rescue himself, I also wondered if he told the party what happened in Baara since when he told Elluard and Peach in Elhive about the events after Nabuchadnezzar they basically said "well, we all had it rough" without even showing surprise about his other body, or the Cardinal turning into a demon.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:14:26 am by ArcturusFan »

LunaireticOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:12 am »
Spoiler:
Apocalypse

Is there a way to fix this? Unfortunately there's no way to save between those events and to reach that point I would have to sit through roughly one hour of cutscenes and two bosses :-X

I think I missed the chance to visit the castle, I thought it would unlock normally. I also noticed the compass mentions another town when you're in Philadelphia, but the entrance is blocked. I guess it was the village where Tenzi was exiled long ago? Maybe they wished to make it explorable and then cut it.

After the events at the end of Chapter 3, I was wondering
Spoiler:
what the point of Chapter 2 and 3's events were, considering the bigger picture. The whole Republican civil war and the attack on the Empire could have never happened, or happened without the party's involvement, and the Apocalypse would apparently have still taken place regardless, so the party's actions seemed unconsequential whereas going to Baara to rescue Sizz's original body and prevent Elizabeth's ceremony could have stopped everything. It's strange Sizz got sidetracked so much and didn't even attempt to rescue himself, I also wondered if he told the party what happened in Baara since when he told Elluard and Peach in Elhive about the events after Nabuchadnezzar they basically said "well, we all had it rough" without even showing surprise about his other body, or the Cardinal turning into a demon.

Sorry for taking a long while to respond, work comes first. :o

I never had those errors, are you on the current patch? It could be that, or maybe your system configuration? I dunno. :(

As for the story...

Spoiler:
Humans continue to vie for land, wealth, and influence throughout the continent. Even with all the chaos sweeping the final landmass, they didn't stop their conquest for power.

The party didn't exactly have any leads to where Bjorn (with Sizz's good body) and Elizabeth were, whereas Leighrant, along with his forces, were the immediate threat that had to be stopped, and Maria needed to be saved. The fact of Elluard and Peach not showing any surprise... at that point, everyone's pretty much seen it all. Peach was in a very traumatizing situation where she could've been experimented on had Elluard's party not reached her in time (and the fight with floating masses of bloody human corpses that burst into chunks with each hit wasn't a pretty sight). Elluard was permanently disfigured and his family, and homeland, all but ruined beyond recognition, almost like himself. All of the characters become desensitized quickly, and I don't blame them.

Helly_

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:38 pm »
Sorry for the lack of replies, irl work has been quite a pain these last few weeks. I hope I'll have more time soon to keep working on the next patch :)

LunaireticOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2018, 05:32:48 pm »
Sorry for the lack of replies, irl work has been quite a pain these last few weeks. I hope I'll have more time soon to keep working on the next patch :)

Looks like we're in the same boat, lol. Are the actor errors correctable via a patch, or are they the result of a game too old to run properly on modern PCs?