News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF I Bugs  (Read 2245 times)

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
FF I Bugs
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:47 am »
I've noticed a few bugs(?) in my hack that I need help fixing.
-The amount of Potions/Antidotes in your inventory is not shown
-The Fiend battle music does not play (instead mini boss theme does)
-Default equipment does not appear even though I changed those values in a hex editor

Also, though this isn't a bug, can someone tell me if it is possible to increase the amount of weapons/armor within FFHackster?
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: FF I Bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:50:48 am »
I've noticed a few bugs(?) in my hack that I need help fixing.
-The amount of Potions/Antidotes in your inventory is not shown

Hard to say what's causing this without knowing what you've changed.

-The Fiend battle music does not play (instead mini boss theme does)

There is only 1 battle theme in all of FF1.  From IMPs, to minibosses, to fiends, to the final boss himself -- every battle uses the exact same song.

-Default equipment does not appear even though I changed those values in a hex editor

??  There is no default equipment??

Also, though this isn't a bug, can someone tell me if it is possible to increase the amount of weapons/armor within FFHackster?

The number of "items" is currently limited to ~256 since the game only uses 1 byte to represent them.   Of those items, different ranges are designated for "weapons" and "armor".

It is theoretically possible to take items away from something else (like the "100 G" things you find in treasure chests) to create new weapons or armor... but this would require a lot of changes in the game to move all of the ranges over.  Plus, you'd have to find more space for weapon/armor stats and all that nonsense.

So... technically possible, yes.  But it'd be tons of work.  And of course, Hackster wouldn't know about it and you probably wouldn't be able to edit your new weapons in hackster.

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »
There is only 1 battle theme in all of FF1.  From IMPs, to minibosses, to fiends, to the final boss himself -- every battle uses the exact same song.
Yes, but I'm using FF Restored as the base for my hack which adds mini boss, fiend, and final boss battle tracks.

??  There is no default equipment??
I'm trying to do what Grond did by changing the values next to each Job's starting stats. It (theoretically) should work and start them with said equipment.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:05:07 am »
One thing to keep in mind, and this is true of any game with an editor, is that if you go outside the scope of what the editor is capable of doing, more than likely the editor won't work as it should. This is because almost every editor is programmed with specifics in mind about the games they are for. To get around this, most advanced hacks need to be done in pure hex, which is a nightmare, or people make their own editors for their hacking needs.

As for FF1, there are a few editors available besides Hackster, but they all supplement FFHackster.

For every bug you've listed, I wouldn't be surprised if FFHackster overwrote something to undo whatever changes were made to Grond's base hack.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:07:34 pm »
If you're hacking a hack, then it's good to state that to avoid confusion. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:22:41 am »
Seriously? Someone moved this thread to the Newcomer's Board? Okay then.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:03:42 am »
Come on - is that really such a surprise?

/dACE

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:24:09 am »
Come on - is that really such a surprise?

/dACE
Yes, it is. Because it isn't a noob question nor am I new to the community. I asked a genuine question looking for a genuine response and instead what I got was a sassy cuck looking to start trouble. Yeah, no thanks. Already saw the same trick on your BOtW post.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 01:51:05 pm »
Yes, it is. Because it isn't a noob question nor am I new to the community. I asked a genuine question looking for a genuine response and instead what I got was a sassy cuck looking to start trouble. Yeah, no thanks. Already saw the same trick on your BOtW post.
Totally with you on this. This is not a post that belongs in the "Newcomer's Board" as it applies to an existing released hack/mod and by a member who is not a newcomer. I suspect someone is being a oversensitive special snowflake again..

As for your questions, Lenophis has a point, editors tend to be very specialized for a specific set of addresses in the game they focus on. For example, the mod I'm doing to the Super Metroid hack, Hyper Metroid, is being done with two different versions of S.M.I.L.E. as my actual hacking/programing skills are limited. Because those editors expect things to be in a specific order they naturally have problems with anything based on the ProjectBase code set[which Hyper is based on], thus limiting what can be done to the game in S.M.I.L.E., which has been a VERY interesting trial and error process. In your case, FFHackster is expecting certain things to be in certain places, and if not, weird things happen. To fix the problems you're having you might have to deal with certain limitations, learn some hex editing or perhaps reach out to the original hacker for some help.

Regardless, I like what you've done so far and hope you don't give up finding a fix for these issues.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:16 pm »
It depends on if the newcomer's board is for newcomers to romhacking.net or newcomers to romhacking.

It IS a noob misstake to use somebody else's editor - on somebody else's hack and experience loss of functionality. I know - becasue I have been there myself. It was then I decided to learn how to HACK roms instead of just EDITING roms.

/dACE

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
It depends on if the newcomer's board is for newcomers to romhacking.net or newcomers to romhacking.

It IS a noob misstake to use somebody else's editor - on somebody else's hack and experience loss of functionality. I know - becasue I have been there myself. It was then I decided to learn how to HACK roms instead of just EDITING roms.

/dACE

Do you have anything better to do than make an ass out of yourself on the internet? You are literally just painting yourself as a target for people to laugh at.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »

It IS a noob mistake to use somebody else's editor - on somebody else's hack and experience loss of functionality. I know - because I have been there myself. It was then I decided to learn how to HACK roms instead of just EDITING roms.

/dACE
That seems more collection of a personal opinion than a policy principle. And while your point has some logic, I still disagree with it. The stated purpose of the "Newcomers Board" as evidenced by the sticky'd and locked first threads, "Getting Started", "RHDN Policy" and "Forum Rules" more or less make it clear that the section for newcomers to the site as opposed to newcomers to hacking/modding. This thread seems not qualify and would be better served by being in the ""Personal Projects" or "ROM Hacking Discussion" sections.

Additionally, editors are created for only one purpose; it edit. It's their sole function and reason for existence. To say that someone is a "noob" for making an honest mistake or not knowing something that is NOT common knowledge comes off as snobbish and elitist. I've made my own mods using only editors. I've edited existing hacks into something slightly or greatly different. That does NOT make me a "noob".  Have been doing game hacking/modding since 1995[first real hack was for C&C95]. Perhaps you didn't intend for your comments to seem condescending, insulting or arrogant, but they did come of that way.

All that said, linkncb16, this may be a moderator decision. And it's more of an irritation than any serious problem. Quirky things like this happen on RHDN from time to time. I'd say let it go and not let it bother you. You have a cool mod. The negativity is not your problem so just keep going.