News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question Regarding a Hack of Link's Awakening on the RHDN Database  (Read 1422 times)

FreightMan71

• View Profile
This in regards to Katage's "New Awakening" (he currently has v4.1 up).

I fully understand how to read ROM types and the importance of applying the right patch to the right ROM...which is why rom info such as file/sha/crc info is posted.

Well, Katage has rom  "Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.2) [C][!]" as the one to use for his patch.
Fair enough....except when you look at the ROM info for this particular ROM, they match NON of the dumped roms that can be found.

I use the Rom Hasher tool (pretty faithful and accurate during my year and a half or so of usage) to match rom info BEFORE I do any patching to be sure I am getting the proper job done.

The Rom Hasher's info for the rom given by Katage does not match in any way shape or form.

Thinking perhaps he mistyped info, I tried other versions of the ROM (ones NOT listed as the one to use for his patch) to see if THOSE figures matched. Nada. Zilch. No match.

So my question is...am I missing something here?
Is it possible to just patch the hack onto v1.2 dx awakening game, even though the hash info doesn't match, and still get a working game?
Shouldn't the game either not work at all or show glitches if I used the wrong ROM?

I DID patch the rom, and played through the opening minutes, and nothing seemed different than the standard Links Awakening game. So I am wondering whether this worked the way it was supposed to at all. I would really hate to play through a game like this only to find the game unplayable at some point (because I patched the wrong ROM), or that no changes were made at all to the original game.

Obviously, the game patch has reviews on it, so SOMEONE got this thing to work, albeit some of the reviews of the earlier versions reported bugs.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Here is the quick link to the page here on RHDN of the patch/game in question:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1939/

And for those wondering, I use IPS Floating Patcher v131...which has worked flawlessly for me for a number of patch jobs and I use the Visual Boy Advance M 1.8 as my emulator.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:46:58 pm by FreightMan71 »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: Question Regarding a Hack of Link's Awakening on the RHDN Database
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »
Interesting. The hashes on that page don't match the no-intro database. They don't match the ROM with the patch applied, and they don't match anything in the No-Intro GB/GBC/GBA databases. It's possible the submitter hashed the wrong file or has a corrupt ROM.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »
Interesting. The hashes on that page don't match the no-intro database. They don't match the ROM with the patch applied, and they don't match anything in the No-Intro GB/GBC/GBA databases. It's possible the submitter hashed the wrong file or has a corrupt ROM.

Yea, I suppose I could just patch it onto the ROM he specified and just play through some of it....that would be doing it the LONG way, but I see no other way to judge how accurate his info is.

But because I haven't played the original in such a long while, I'd be hard pressed to see any changes that I would remember (especially later in the game).

To that end, I started playing the original once again...I am currently starting the 1st dungeon, the Tail Cave.
Maybe after I do that dungeon, try playing the patched version of Katage's up to the same point, and so on and so forth and note any differences, bugs, anomalies, etc.

Until I get bored that is.....I was looking to indulge myself in an all new adventure, and I don't want this to feel like "work"  :P

So unless Mr. Katage is using some rare dump, you may be right on the incorrect hashing info.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »
Wherever that hash came from, two other hacks on the site use it:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2361/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2414/

My guess is somebody got it wrong (maybe from getting the hash from the patched ROM?), and the others just copied the same info during submission. Speaking from experience, if you get your submission denied by something (seemingly) frivolous, you'll either give up, or you'll put the least amount of effort into fixing it. :)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »
Speaking from experience, if you get your submission denied by something (seemingly) frivolous, you'll either give up, or you'll put the least amount of effort into fixing it. :)

Some people take for granted the ROM Information field and just put the file name. And now you get this problem as a result. Good Job lazy submitters.  :D

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 02:51:45 pm »
Well, guys, I have played through some more of both the original Link's Awakening and Katage's New Link's Awakening side by side for comparison.

It appears the patch DOES work on the v1.2 of Link's Awakening DX, as I have noted some changes in how events unfold, where items are/aren't etc.
Barring some crazy glitch wall that halts me later in the game, I think the patch is fine....and it is the hash info that is woefully incorrect.

Note to all future submitters: Please, PLEASE be sure your hash info is correct!
I mean, if you are going through the trouble of hacking a ROM (and I understand that can be a LOT of work sometimes), the best favor you can do yourself is make sure the info is correct so people will WANT to play your hack.

Again, barring some unforeseen things later in the game due to something still not right, THESE are the values of the game that probably SHOULD have been put in to match Awakening DX v1.2:

File MD5    7351DAA3C0A91D8F6FE2FBCCA6182478
File SHA-1    1C091225688D966928CC74336DBEF2E07D12A47C
File CRC32    06887A34

ROM MD5    7351DAA3C0A91D8F6FE2FBCCA6182478
ROM SHA-1    1C091225688D966928CC74336DBEF2E07D12A47C
ROM CRC32    06887A34

These values were acquired using the Rom Hashing tool (v1.0) that can be found here as well.
Hopefully, this helps those who have been frustrated by this entry into our rom hack database.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 12:39:49 am »
toruzz is an active poster, so consider asking him.