News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project: ROTK VIII English Patch - Could Use Advice  (Read 1939 times)

Jsint

• View Profile
Project: ROTK VIII English Patch - Could Use Advice
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:33:16 am »
Hello ROMhackers,

I'm new to this forum and joined up because I wanted to start a personal fan project.

Project Goals:

To translate Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (三國志8) with PUK (Power-up Kit) from Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) into English.

The Chinese version is the only release version of VIII that was remodelled and expanded on. ROTK VIII is one of my favourite games of all time and I feel that we should be able to play it too!

What I know and understand:

• I have a Degree in Computer Science and so have an understand about binary, decimal and hex values
  • I understand that tables will need to be created in order to understand where data is stored and its value.
  • I have used Hexeditors like Cheat Engine to change values in order to unlock features, increase character power stats, and alter NPC data in games.

So, What do I need advice with?

I have never translated a game and have never worked with Chinese. I have tried searching the data for Chinese characters, however, I have not been able to find them.

I have also read through the Romhacking.net getting started page - but have not been able to find the answer to my queries.

Is there an easier way to find the translations for the text in the game? How would I locate these Chinese characters? How would I rearrange the grammar will be a question for later on.

Is this project HUGE and if so.. do I even have a hope in hell?

One last question: Are there companies that you can hire to create fan patches?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Project: ROTK VIII English Patch - Could Use Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:54:30 am »
If it helps, ROTK VIII had some kind of update in Japan as well. Their update's title is 三國志VIII with パワーアップキット on Windows and Playstation 2.
I have no idea what's different from the Chinese PUK.

Most likely it'll be easiest to get a starting foothold on PS2, through comparison with the old official English release.