News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese Super Mario 2 title screen  (Read 2611 times)

Sarujo

• View Profile
Japanese Super Mario 2 title screen
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:41:41 am »
So I acquired a copy of this rom of Super Mario Bros. 2 (AKA the Lost Levels) titled "Super Mario Bros 2 (J) [P1]" which run on NES instead of FDS, but it's missing the logo on its title screen. In the background, half of the cloud that would be covered by the logo is colored orange.

I've tried using available SMB title editors, but both the edit and tile screens come up blank when I load the rom up. So I'm guessing this isn't some SMB 1 hack.

Is there any other way to add the logo on to the screen?

dougeff

• View Profile
Re: Japanese Super Mario 2 title screen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:06:58 am »
SMB2 FDS filesize is 44k. NES NROM is 41k. I'm guessing, they had to remove some things to make it fit...like title screen.

Of course, editors designed for SMB won't work for it. They are different games.

No easy solutions, I'm afraid. Move on. Not worth the effort.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »
SMB2 FDS filesize is 44k. NES NROM is 41k. I'm guessing, they had to remove some things to make it fit...like title screen.

The solution is probably to convert the game to another mapper or expand it. Not the easy solution TC is looking for considering he's just playing around with a game-specific editor and not really doing assembly.
But the point is moot anyways. The "All Stars NES Edition" hack already ported Lost Levels Mario 2 to cartridge format with much less content missing.

Sarujo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:59 am »
The reason I had considered the notion of fixing the log was because, one: OCD, and two: I was planing on adding it to my NES Classic Edition when it comes in for my private use.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »
If the NES All-Stars hack doesn't work with the Classic, maybe Loopy's MMC3 hack will?

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 08:57:20 pm »
I'm resurrecting this 3-year-old topic to say Thank You, Sarujo. For whatever reason, your pointing out that the cloud was mis-colored was the key for me. :beer: It made me realize that the game was applying the correct palette, but not the correct graphics. I checked the rom in YYCHR, and the graphics were still present in the code. So, I was able to compare the code of the NES conversion with the original FDS, and I restored the original tilemap. Worked like a charm. I've submitted the hack to the site, and it should be posted in a few days.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 01:21:15 am »
So, for the record: if not the title screen, was there anything cut from the FDS release to make it fit on an NES ROM?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 10:28:15 am »
So, for the record: if not the title screen, was there anything cut from the FDS release to make it fit on an NES ROM?

It's a good question. I need to play all the way through this version to make sure. I'm assuming it's all there though, since examining the FDS version in a hex editor shows that there's a huge amount of blank space on the disk image. Starting at $CC20, there's a string of hex code that reads "2SAVE", and then 00s until $FFDB. Maybe this was space set aside on the disk for saving your game? Either way, no such block of blank code is present in the NES converted file.

October 18, 2020, 02:13:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, I have played through the whole game now, and unfortunately there's another misplaced pointer at the end of 8-4. If you took warp zones, it should send you back to the title screen. If you didn't warp, it should send you onto World 9. Right now, the rom crashes and you have to exit the emulator and go back in. Worlds 9/A/B/C/D are present in the rom, but there appears to be no way to access them. I'll see if I can fix it.

In other news, my patch was rejected because RHDN no longer accepts new game entries for unlicensed ports of official games.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:13:03 pm by PowerPanda »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 05:23:54 am »
And couldn't you create the patch based on the fds version, including the content of both your patch and the rest?