News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Adventure Island Abridged (NES)  (Read 2404 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Adventure Island Abridged (NES)
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:32 pm »
I'm recreating the topic that was lost and I decided to change the hack's name to better represent what it is the most: a shortened version of the game!

So, to those who didn't see it, I've made a hack of Hudson's Adventure Island for the NES. What I wanted to do was to cut down on repeated / similar content to keep the game fresh and short but still challenging. In the mean time I added several features that should make it a more enjoyable experience, such as a revised game mode and a clock for speedrunning. I know I'm never playing the original game again, this is my go to version now.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3385/

Also, I wrote an article about the experience on my blog with some findings:
http://nesrocks.com/blog/adventure-island-hack/

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Adventure Island Abridged (NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:20 am »
The game was a lot of fun on the C64 in 2 player mode. Nice challenging game! i can see why you came up with the Speedrun Edition. :beer:

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:48 pm »
This is great, I wish I have the talent. I'd definitely explore what other NES games to give this kind of treatment to.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
The game was a lot of fun on the C64 in 2 player mode. Nice challenging game! i can see why you came up with the Speedrun Edition. :beer:
I couldn't find a video of it running in 2 players mode. I can't imagine this game in 2 players, it sounds insane  :laugh:

Jeville: Study hard and take your time in baby steps. That's what I did! It is a lot to learn but every step has a little reward, so it's definitely a lot of fun.

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:34 am »
I couldn't find a video of it running in 2 players mode. I can't imagine this game in 2 players, it sounds insane  :laugh:

The 2 player mode in the C64 version is similar to the Mario games where the players switch if one of them dies. We (a friend and me) had this competition going who could go the furthest but none of us could ever beat the game, the jumping is unusual because you have to press up on the C64 Stick to jump but it has its own charm for being different. If i remember correctly then you could play 2 player mode with only one controller.

Here is a video of showing 2 player mode in the C64 version, the video itself is 1P only.
https://youtu.be/tiI8C-NJTq8?t=10m39s

edit: text correction
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:47:32 pm by MagusLOGS »