logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 2184 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:53:57 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest), mostly PAL to NTSC hacks:

Relevant Link

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:45:32 am »
Do NTSC patches really fall under the purview of what RHDN covers?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
Arguably a little more useful than the NES mapper hacks we accept.

Well, at least the PAL version of Lufia II is superior to the US version due to bugfixes.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:54 pm »
Well, at least the PAL version of Lufia II is superior to the US version due to bugfixes.

I'll grant you this, but is there really any benefit to playing the PAL version of Lagoon or Goof Troop over the US version?

Additionally, these can be generated automatically by any ROM linting tool worth its salt. Back in the day I'd imported Terranigma, and I used inSNESt to find out what byte (singular) to patch in order to let my PAL cart play at NTSC speeds on my backup device.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:29:03 pm »
The Japanese version of Goof Troop might actually be worth playing, though. ;)
Released a year later than the western versions, it adds a difficulty select, which from a quick look, seemed to include puzzle variations.

I do recall I imported the SFC version of Lagoon but I can't remember why. I don't remember if there was a difference or if it was just a spree of inflating my SFC collection with cheap imports (mostly puzzle and board games nobody wants :D ).

Doesn't Terranigma have some kind of extra layer of copy-protection, though? I've heard of people needing to get a specific version of PAR (which has subsequently become rather expensive) to play the real cart on a NTSC console.

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:10:13 pm »
I know it's simple to run PAL ROMs in NTSC, but years back from now I didn't know how to do that or how well they run and I wished a bunch of NTSC patches for my games would have been on RHDN.
Plus, you can't play German Secret of Mana in 60FPS normally. Some translations are just simply awesome, or somebody simply grew up with a certain version of a game.
(And yeah, Lagoon is pretty pointless - the German translation of that game sucks badly anyway.)
Also, you don't have to mess around with region lockout protections and changing your emulator settings to force ntsc or HEX editing.

But anyway, I feel kinda sorry for "spamming" those. There is a bunch of them in the queue and than I'm pretty much done with NTSC patches.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:54 pm »
I'll grant you this, but is there really any benefit to playing the PAL version of Lagoon or Goof Troop over the US version?

I will confirm PAL Act Raiser is pretty superior to the US version as far as gameplay options.  There's a lot more variety as far as difficulty options, with "Normal" being my personal favorite ("Hard" gets a bit ridiculous).  I just barely finished it, but boss fights are not longer a total joke (especially the endgame boss rush).

One thing folks complained about when I nerded out about finding this out was the framerate difference, which the patch here fixes.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:53:46 am »
The PAL version also exclusively contains Action Mode, which is essentially a port of the arcade (NSS) version.
(I know there's Professional Mode in the others, which is similar. But from what I read, you get no magic in Pro Mode and HP from the saved game?
But Action Mode is independent, allowing magic to be used and changed with power-ups, as well as starting the player with default HP and adding Max-HP-Up powerups.)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »
The PAL version also exclusively contains Action Mode, which is essentially a port of the arcade (NSS) version.
(I know there's Professional Mode in the others, which is similar. But from what I read, you get no magic in Pro Mode and HP from the saved game?
But Action Mode is independent, allowing magic to be used and changed with power-ups, as well as starting the player with default HP and adding Max-HP-Up powerups.)

That is 100% accurate--there are difficulty modes for Action Mode as well, which kind of enhances its value IMO!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:56:24 pm »
I'd find the NTSC hacks more useful if I knew -why- having it in NTSC format would be better than getting the NTSC rom straight up.

Like, listing what makes the PAL version better than the NTSC version so that we can say "oooo, definitely want to play that PAL ROM in NTSC mode" in the description.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »
I'd find the NTSC hacks more useful if I knew -why- having it in NTSC format would be better than getting the NTSC rom straight up.

Like, listing what makes the PAL version better than the NTSC version so that we can say "oooo, definitely want to play that PAL ROM in NTSC mode" in the description.

A bunch of PAL versions have additional languages. Spanish, German, or things.
Fun trivia fact: The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past (separate cart), DKC2, and DKC3 were released in French in NTSC for SNES, but it was excluded from the NTSC GBA versions.
I have a blog and forums. Ask me for details. Contributors are welcome and highly encouraged!

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 03:06:10 am »
Definitely. Besides the obvious, languages, and the specific case of ActRaiser (exposed above), is there any reason to bother with PAL conversions?
Having PAL -> NTSC patches for everything is pretty pointless without some documentation/justification.

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:09 am »
Thanks for doing these PAL-NTSC patches, your work is much appreciated.

For those who are interested in the regional differences in these Games
https://tcrf.net/Category:Games_with_regional_differences

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:17 am »
Definitely. Besides the obvious, languages, and the specific case of ActRaiser (exposed above), is there any reason to bother with PAL conversions?
Having PAL -> NTSC patches for everything is pretty pointless without some documentation/justification.

The games I covered have either regional differences (Super Probotector), language options or there is no US-NTSC version of the game, like Super Bomberman 3.
It's no bad idea to provide extra information, but it was not in my interest to make you say "hell, I need to get the PAL version then!"
Instead, it's more like if you want to play the PAL version but you don't want that 50 FPS slowness, you can find those NTSC patches and apply them no matter how unskilled you are (despite needing to know how Lunar IPS works, but that's not hard is it?)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:05 am »

Emulators normally check the rom region (unless told otherwise), then default to NTSC if uncertain.
A real SNES is a little different. The video refresh is locked in hardware.

Either way conversions let you avoid running into a game's region error message.
I have a blog and forums. Ask me for details. Contributors are welcome and highly encouraged!

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 11:03:45 am »
The one thing that does still need to be fixed in the Actraiser patch is the timing of the stage entry music. It was retimed properly in 50Hz to coincide with the visuals, but now it's off due to the 60Hz change. Fixing this is important because it was one of the most mind-blowing part of the experience for people first experiencing the SNES's Mode7 feature back in the day. In fact, it's still pretty cool and immersive today - but pretty lame when the timing is incorrect.

Address this, and we will have the ultimate version of Actraiser!

(This fix may also be needed for Actraiser 2, but I haven't tried it out yet.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:40:27 pm by DrDimension »

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 08:41:23 pm »
Don't forget The Firemen, only NTSC version in English is a beta cart with an early draft script.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
Don't forget The Firemen, only NTSC version in English is a beta cart with an early draft script.

Heh. There's various candidates to look at for this. Parodius, Whirlo, and things.

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 02:35:02 am »
Do one for Tetris and Dr. Mario so I can use the sram patch made only for the PAL version. That way my US Super Everdrive won't bitch about "This gamepak is only for PAL" bla bla bah.

bigboo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 09:49:02 am »
Hi
I've also made some simple NTSC patches for SNES PAL Games (No-Intro set):
Firemen, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De).ips
Illusion of Time (France).ips
Secret of Evermore (France).ips
SimCity (France).ips
Smash Tennis (Europe).ips
Soul Blazer (France).ips