News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PAL-->NTSC Patches  (Read 2611 times)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
PAL-->NTSC Patches
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:23:43 am »
Question, What is the purpose of the NTSC patches for certain PAL games? Wouldn't it just be easier to play the actual NTSC versions?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: PAL-->NTSC Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:55:52 am »
Some translations are in PAL format, so you have it in your native language and NTSC speed.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:28 am »
also, take Secret of Evermore, for instance.  the European PAL versions were released after the USA NTSC one, and fix bugs present in the earlier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:18:00 pm by assassin »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:27 am »
Also the PAL conversion issue was inverted for some games which were developed with PAL as lead platform and then crowbarred into NTSC, and with a lot of NTSC sets not supporting PAL (unlike most PAL sets which support both) you don't even have the option to say use this.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:33:09 pm »
Terranigma is probably the most famous game to get a translation released in PAL only.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »
Terranigma is probably the most famous game to get a translation released in PAL only.
Outside of Super Bomberman 4 (I think it was), I think that's true for English.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »
It was Super Bomberman 3 that got a PAL-exclusive translation, but the DBZ SNES fighting games and one of the Sailor Moons also got French-exclusive translation releases.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »
So we're talking about patching games for use on real hardware then?

Emulators have been playing PAL roms perfectly for nearly two decades now. The aforementioned Terranigma in particular has been perfectly playable for at least that long. The PAL versions of Illusion of Time and Secret of Evermore also play perfectly(just tested all three to remind myself). So without the real hardware perspective, this still makes no sense..

GrimSpawner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
Basically, PAL games on most old consoles tend to run at around 50 FPS, whilst NTSC games run at around 60 FPS. So the reasoning behind all these conversions people have been doing recently is that they get to play the PAL version of a game (which might have more content, bugfixes etc., or even just not have a NTSC version, like Terranigma), in a smoother speed than before.
I hope this helps.  :)

(Also, first post, finally. No more lurking for me. :P )

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »
Nice to see this set of patches on the site recently. Hope we see the "Classic Series" version of the original Mario Bros. on the NES eventually.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »
So we're talking about patching games for use on real hardware then?

Emulators have been playing PAL roms perfectly for nearly two decades now. The aforementioned Terranigma in particular has been perfectly playable for at least that long. The PAL versions of Illusion of Time and Secret of Evermore also play perfectly(just tested all three to remind myself). So without the real hardware perspective, this still makes no sense..

It's less of an issue on real hardware. An NTSC SNES must run all games at 60hz, the video setting is hardware controlled.

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:39:14 pm »
Nice to see this set of patches on the site recently. Hope we see the "Classic Series" version of the original Mario Bros. on the NES eventually.

If you've got a flashcart that supports it, a copy is included on the 'All-Stars' hack.