News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.10.0)  (Read 165220 times)

Skullcrush04

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.9.1)
« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2020, 07:14:41 pm »
What is the preferred program for finding asm code in the roms? I can't figure out how to find the code for events using create or update codes as addresses.

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2020, 05:40:01 am »
Damn..... no updates for almost 2 months. Don't tell me that this thing has been abandoned already? :(
Esco.... the original Nuyorican Latin Lover! And creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night engine!

My Patreon page for the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED Engine: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 31, 2020, 01:34:24 pm »
Damn..... no updates for almost 2 months. Don't tell me that this thing has been abandoned already? :(

Unsure what you mean by "abandoned". If you've found a bug feel free to tell me and I'll usually fix it quickly.

As far as new features go, there's really only one more significant one I can think of that I'd like to add. It's a ton of work though, I started working on it a while back but haven't felt like working on it in the past 4 months or so. Whenever that one is done I'll probably not add any more features (unless someone can think of a new idea for one that I think is worth the effort), but will still fix bugs.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 31, 2020, 01:51:13 pm »
Maybe you could make it compatible with the GBA games.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 31, 2020, 01:52:55 pm »
Maybe you could make it compatible with the GBA games.

It already is, HoD and AoS support were added years ago.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 31, 2020, 01:54:57 pm »
I was away a while, sorry. How about COTM?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 31, 2020, 01:59:27 pm »
I was away a while, sorry. How about COTM?

Impossible because CotM uses a different engine.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2020, 02:59:36 pm »
What is the preferred program for finding asm code in the roms? I can't figure out how to find the code for events using create or update codes as addresses.

You can view code when using some sort of a disassemble program. For example some come with the emulator/debugger.
Here a link for No$GBA (Make sure to grab the debug version) https://www.nogba.com/

This can be used to learn how a game works but you also need some background on the hardware.
Here are great resources about GBA: http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/toc.htm

DSvania does have ARMIPS setup and ready to use and you can patch games within the editor. The ASM files are in the so named folder in the editor directory and are a great source to see some examples.

When you speak about event code do you mean the event data table for levels? This one could probably be figured out without knowing to code. You could save the ROM change a event a bit build/save the ROM again and compare the two files with a hex-editor like HxD to find the offset of the change. Then you can toy around with this values within the debugger to figure out more what this values are about. It is really not clear what you try to do based on your question but I hope this will give you a idea.

I have a question too.

Are there guides/tutorials for DSvania?

Like Video guides on Youtube to do some particular task?

Or general PDF/Text guide how to change a room or two that will go through the tools and tell step by step what to do? May be give away/inspiration of ideas what could be done. (I know LagoLunatics Github does have a good overview about the tools)

Guides around other GBA/DS tolls that can be used for the CV games?

I think a guide can be a good starting point to give a user a overview about the possibility or give a head start over some frustration barrier of learning.
Also I am not sure if LagoLunatic is ok with posting such thinks here since the thread is about the editor and when there are tutorials it could go into a other Page.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:08:32 pm by bogaabogaa »
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 01, 2020, 06:10:41 am »
Unsure what you mean by "abandoned". If you've found a bug feel free to tell me and I'll usually fix it quickly.

As far as new features go, there's really only one more significant one I can think of that I'd like to add. It's a ton of work though, I started working on it a while back but haven't felt like working on it in the past 4 months or so. Whenever that one is done I'll probably not add any more features (unless someone can think of a new idea for one that I think is worth the effort), but will still fix bugs.

Last time I downloaded it there were a number of things with objects still broken. Like enemies that use bones in some of the DS-vanias to give one example.
Esco.... the original Nuyorican Latin Lover! And creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night engine!

My Patreon page for the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED Engine: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 01, 2020, 11:19:43 am »
Last time I downloaded it there were a number of things with objects still broken. Like enemies that use bones in some of the DS-vanias to give one example.

You'll need to be more specific, I'm not sure what the issue you're having is. Which game? Which enemies? What's broken about them? A screenshot of what you're seeing would help.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2020, 02:38:23 pm »
There's a possibility to put this setting for the GBA games too? (Or the BG control already do this? And if yes: how?)
Without this is impossible to put proper water and light effect in new rooms :(

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2020, 02:50:31 pm »
There's a possibility to put this setting for the GBA games too? (Or the BG control already do this? And if yes: how?)
Without this is impossible to put proper water and light effect in new rooms :(

Arbitrary opacity isn't possible on GBA hardware.

The way the game does transparent water is with the "Color Effects" in the Room Properties.
If you want transparency in a room, you set color effects to 0x1A40, plus a different number depending on which layer you want to be transparent. You add +2 for the first layer, +4 for the second layer, +8 for the last layer. e.g. You would set Color Effects to 0x1A44 if you want the second layer to be transparent but not the others.

This isn't very obvious come to think of it though, I could probably add in some checkboxes or something that generate the Color Effects automatically.

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2020, 12:14:09 am »
You'll need to be more specific, I'm not sure what the issue you're having is. Which game? Which enemies? What's broken about them? A screenshot of what you're seeing would help.

What I put above should have been more than enough. But here you go: enemies that use skeletons in POR as an example (Like Peeping eye) still don't show up correctly. And Iron golem or Behemoth to give 2 examples, only show the sprites and not him fully assembled with their actual animations. Unlike Gurkha master in OOE (for example). Who will show his skeletons and each key frame.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 04, 2020, 12:52:51 am »
What I put above should have been more than enough. But here you go: enemies that use skeletons in POR as an example (Like Peeping eye) still don't show up correctly. And Iron golem or Behemoth to give 2 examples, only show the sprites and not him fully assembled with their actual animations. Unlike Gurkha master in OOE (for example). Who will show his skeletons and each key frame.

Peeping Eye in PoR does not use skeletal animation. It's a 3D model. Same applies to True Dracula's wings, tombstones, and maybe one or two other things I can't remember.
Displaying 3D models within DSVEdit is not worth the effort - I would need to write an implementation of the 3D model format and write my own 3D renderer or format converter. The format used, NSBMD, is the same 3D model format used by other NDS games, so if you want to view or edit PoR's 3D models you can use one of the general-purpose DS model hacking tools that already exist.

Iron Golem and Behemoth in PoR do use skeletal animation, but I won't be implementing skeletal animation viewing for any games besides OoE. Prior to OoE, the skeletal animation system was much more complicated. I've tried to figure it out several times but haven't succeeded. For OoE they refactored the system drastically, and while it still wasn't easy it was at least possible for me to figure that one out.
Also, prior to OoE, the skeletal animations were compiled directly into the enemy overlays (code files) - so even if I figured them out, editing them would still be 100% impossible for games besides OoE. Even displaying them in DSVEdit would have to involve tons of hardcoding for each individual enemy, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:40 pm »

This isn't very obvious come to think of it though, I could probably add in some checkboxes or something that generate the Color Effects automatically.

That would be great. Thanks!

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2020, 10:38:46 pm »
Peeping Eye in PoR does not use skeletal animation. It's a 3D model. Same applies to True Dracula's wings, tombstones, and maybe one or two other things I can't remember.
Displaying 3D models within DSVEdit is not worth the effort - I would need to write an implementation of the 3D model format and write my own 3D renderer or format converter. The format used, NSBMD, is the same 3D model format used by other NDS games, so if you want to view or edit PoR's 3D models you can use one of the general-purpose DS model hacking tools that already exist.

Iron Golem and Behemoth in PoR do use skeletal animation, but I won't be implementing skeletal animation viewing for any games besides OoE. Prior to OoE, the skeletal animation system was much more complicated. I've tried to figure it out several times but haven't succeeded. For OoE they refactored the system drastically, and while it still wasn't easy it was at least possible for me to figure that one out.
Also, prior to OoE, the skeletal animations were compiled directly into the enemy overlays (code files) - so even if I figured them out, editing them would still be 100% impossible for games besides OoE. Even displaying them in DSVEdit would have to involve tons of hardcoding for each individual enemy, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

So like I said above.... abandoned basically.  ::) Because you don't feel like fixing the missing stuff. Not that I can blame you. People honestly don't truly realize how long this stuff takes. And yes, you are right about peeping eye. I totally forgot that.

I still think it's a great tool that I've recommended to a number of people. You deserve praise for all of your efforts.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:18:28 am by Esco »

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 05, 2020, 01:28:24 pm »
I would love more documentation for each game...Locations for unlisted gfx for example. Such as Portrait of Ruins gameover screen and all the gfx for DoS equip menu. As well as maybe some sort of guide for creating new rooms from scratch. I have been adding rooms to the castle by exporting to Tiled, creating a new room, exporting the blank and renaming then reimporting the room, after I edit the room and doors to how I want. This doesn't feel very intuitive but its all I really know without any direction.

The big thing is not having access to certain gfx I wanna edit and having to figure out how to get a hold of pointers for palettes. If we could edit anything at all about events or enemy ai behaviors it'd be awesome if that was implemented, no matter how limited.

Maybe an Open in Darkfunction button like u have for open in Tiled. I've been using your editor every day for the past 3 months, these are my only major nit picks.

Oh also it's not really obvious how to add an overlay to most the games. Which is 100% required to do anything in DoS but not as required in OOE/PoR since they give u more freedom before throwing not enough free space errors.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 06, 2020, 12:17:25 pm »
Taking advantage of the comment above: Does anyone know the gfx pointer of Aria of Sorrow candles? The one listed on dsvania is apparently not the same as the used ingame

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #518 on: August 06, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »
 Candles can be found in the common sprites under other. Would be nice Lago if you would include in read me GFX Pointer addresses for Portraits in each game.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 06, 2020, 08:17:22 pm »
Candles can be found in the common sprites under other. Would be nice Lago if you would include in read me GFX Pointer addresses for Portraits in each game.
Sorry, I mean this type of candles (I already changed that one, as you can see, but it doesn't applied to the game):