News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)  (Read 109130 times)

MaverickZero

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)
« Reply #440 on: October 06, 2019, 11:22:17 am »
Hey LagoLunatic i have a little problem with the tool.
The last time i wanted to build a rom my laptop crashed and the rom couldn't be fully built, now when i try to open the editor and it wants to open the last edited rom, it wouldn't boot up anymore.
No matter what i try i can't get it to boot up anymore even if i delete the tool and reinstall and files again.
Any idea what could be the problem and how to fix it?

Also regarding the Quickswap weapons, i found out that if you set the addresses offsets 0221E3F4-0221E42B to 0 that it will suppress the Quickswap function in PoR, i would recommend using a Cheat Code instead of patching it out since it's necessary in Richter/Axe armor mode.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 06, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
Hey LagoLunatic i have a little problem with the tool.
The last time i wanted to build a rom my laptop crashed and the rom couldn't be fully built, now when i try to open the editor and it wants to open the last edited rom, it wouldn't boot up anymore.
No matter what i try i can't get it to boot up anymore even if i delete the tool and reinstall and files again.
Any idea what could be the problem and how to fix it?

It sounds like a file in your hack got corrupted when your laptop crashed. No idea which file based on what you've said, could be anything. Does DSVEdit give an error message with more details?

Either way I figure there's a high chance that the only way to fix it is to restore from backup of your hack. It seems doubtful that you could recover the changes since you last made a backup.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 06, 2019, 11:42:48 am »
The problem is that it doesn't open anymore at all, i already tried to open the editor with another file like OoE but the command line pops up and closes within a second again, i assume it still tries to open my last edited hack?
I have the crashlog here but i don't understand anything, would it be ok if i send it to you per E-Mail?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 06, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
The problem is that it doesn't open anymore at all, i already tried to open the editor with another file like OoE but the command line pops up and closes within a second again, i assume it still tries to open my last edited hack?
I have the crashlog here but i don't understand anything, would it be ok if i send it to you per E-Mail?

Weird that it just instantly closes when trying to open your last edited hack. It's supposed to at least show an error message when that happens, even if it does crash on boot.

In order to make it stop trying to open your corrupted hack on boot you can open settings.yml in a text editor and delete the line that starts with last_used_folder. Then it will boot without loading anything.

Yeah feel free to PM the log to me.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 06, 2019, 11:53:54 am »
I don't know why but the file is completely blank when i open it

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2019, 11:55:44 am »
I don't know why but the file is completely blank when i open it

settings.yml is blank? I don't really understand how that happened, but you could also just delete the whole file.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »
Ok i deleted it but nothing changed, it still just pops up for a second and closes again.
It also doesn't create a new settings file when i try to open it

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 06, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »
Ok i deleted it but nothing changed, it still just pops up for a second and closes again.
It also doesn't create a new settings file when i try to open it

That sounds strange, with no settings.yml it won't boot any hack up so it should have no reason to crash.
I also don't see the problem in your crashlog, last thing in there is a month old.
The only thing I notice is that your crashlog says DSVania_Editor_1.5.0. You should update to 1.8.1. Maybe that will fix... whatever the issue is.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2019, 12:08:34 pm »
It is version 1.8.1 i always update it, it's just the folder 1.5.0 i keep updating in since i got into Dsvania.
I will just make a completely new one and try that out.

October 06, 2019, 12:21:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It worked, i must have some corrupted file in the other folder.
Thanks for the help by the way, appreciate it!  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:21:35 pm by MaverickZero »

steamdoomtest

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 10, 2019, 05:02:56 pm »
This has been a fantastic tool for extracting the often hard-to-make-out kanji from the Japanese version for study, and I really wanted to applaud you for everything you've done on this project. Though I doubt I'll ever use a fraction of the features you're thrown into the mix, the ones I do use have been fantastic -- helpful beyond words. Thank you so much for creating this! (And especially, thank you for supporting the over-seas versions!)

My only request, supposing there is any interest, would be to have the ASM edit por_skip_emblem_drawing ported to the Japanese version of the game. Now, I have no idea whether that is a trifle or agonizing endeavor, but that single requirement of the touch screen is an asinine pet-peeve of mine, and it would be an absolute joy to be away with (supposing it doesn't cause too much trouble!).

Regardless, thanks for everything you've done so far. All else I could find to heckle you about would only include begging for some of the other bugfixes to be ported as well, but their absence isn't felt nearly as much. Great work so far; I look forward to seeing what else you can come up with!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2019, 01:31:16 pm »
I'm trying to modify Portrait of Ruin's GFX for both Jonathan and Charlotte's info screen in the sprite editor, under Others -> Info Screen.
However, whenever I replace their Info portraits, DSVania crashes on me with the following crash log:

Spoiler:
# Logfile created on 2019-10-21 10:43:30 -0600 by logger.rb/56438
E, [2019-10-21T10:43:31.974242 #58] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/free_space_manager.rb:295:in `get_free_space'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/sprite.rb:311:in `write_to_rom_by_pointer'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/sprite.rb:194:in `write_to_rom'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:845:in `save_sprite'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:860:in `button_box_clicked'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `qt_metacall'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `method_missing'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `exec'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/./dsvedit.rb:27:in `<main>'
E, [2019-10-21T10:49:14.281784 #56] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/free_space_manager.rb:295:in `get_free_space'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/sprite.rb:311:in `write_to_rom_by_pointer'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvlib/sprite.rb:194:in `write_to_rom'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:845:in `save_sprite'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:855:in `button_box_clicked'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `qt_metacall'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `method_missing'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/qtbindings-4.8.6.3-x86-mingw32/lib/Qt/qtruby4.rb:479:in `exec'
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/./dsvedit.rb:27:in `<main>'
E, [2019-10-21T10:52:56.644876 #57] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:855:in `button_box_clicked'

I tried this on both Linux and a Windows 7 machine with the same result.
For some reason it doesn't let me overwrite anything from that image.

In case it helps, this is the image I am trying to import using the "Import GFX" option:

It uses palette 02 from the Sprite Editor.
Also, I wanted to ask, do you happen to know what is the exact offset for those graphics?
I know the pointer is listed there, but having the exact offset where the graphics are stored in there could be helpful as well.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
I'm trying to modify Portrait of Ruin's GFX for both Jonathan and Charlotte's info screen in the sprite editor, under Others -> Info Screen.
However, whenever I replace their Info portraits, DSVania crashes on me with the following crash log:

Spoiler:
# Logfile created on 2019-10-21 10:43:30 -0600 by logger.rb/56438
E, [2019-10-21T10:43:31.974242 #58] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)
Z:/root/Downloads/Game Hacks/Castlevania/DSVania Editor/dsvedit/sprite_editor_dialog.rb:860:in `button_box_clicked'
E, [2019-10-21T10:49:14.281784 #56] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)
E, [2019-10-21T10:52:56.644876 #57] ERROR -- : Failed to find any free space! (FreeSpaceManager::FreeSpaceFindError)

I tried this on both Linux and a Windows 7 machine with the same result.
For some reason it doesn't let me overwrite anything from that image.

In case it helps, this is the image I am trying to import using the "Import GFX" option:

It uses palette 02 from the Sprite Editor.

The error in that crashlog is not from the GFX editor, so it's impossible for it to have happened when you clicked "Import GFX" in the GFX editor. It's from the sprite editor - you clicked the "OK" button to save changes to the sprite. I assume you did this by mistake, and the issue will be resolved if you simply click the correct button.
(As for why it crashes DSVEdit entirely: It's supposed to just show an error message popup but I forgot to account for this case, next version will have that fixed.)

If you actually did click "Import GFX" inside the GFX editor as you said and that *also* crashed DSVEdit after the sprite editor crash, then the error from the GFX editor is not in that crashlog you just posted. Either you didn't include the error when you copy pasted it, or DSVEdit didn't log the error for some reason. I recommend uploading the entire crashlog.txt so I can see it.

Also, I wanted to ask, do you happen to know what is the exact offset for those graphics?
I know the pointer is listed there, but having the exact offset where the graphics are stored in there could be helpful as well.

The GFX data should be at offset 0x12424 within the file /ftc/overlay9_7.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 21, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
Oh you're right.
I thought I had to press on OK or Apply so the changes could be saved into the sprites, so pressing either OK or Apply gave me that crash.
I simply chose on "Import GFX", and once the new image was imported, I closed both the GFX and Sprite editors, and clicked directly on "Save".

That seems to have done it!
Thanks you so much :)