News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.7.2)  (Read 46781 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »
Hey lunatic, i have a great idea,
If i want to give whip animations a 3rd animation which looks exactly like richter's whip, and i want only richter to use them, do i have to change the setting in richter like we did with the jumpkick? Or do the whip's have their own setting, when which animations are played?
I want that both richter and jonathan have seperate whipping animations, for the same whip.
Hmmm... Also i hope that richter's whip will also fit in the sheet of the normal whips.
Anyway, thanks in advance :)

You need special coding if you want a weapon to use any animation besides 00.
And it doesn't look like there's any room to fit both whip animations on a single GFX sheet.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2017, 12:46:45 pm »
Those are bad news...
But thanks anyway.
Only one more thing about that,
If i give richter's vampire killer a diagonal whipping animation, and set it to 01 (of course) would it automatically use this animation or does it need special coding as well?
You see, the dxc richter sprites includes a diagonal whipping animation so i wanted to add at least that.
And thanks again :)

felipechalreo

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2017, 05:08:53 pm »
That would be great... I am trying to understand how drops works in the game, just out of curiosity.

Could you post the HoD Enemy DNA format? I was wondering if is possible to fix luck in the other games as well. I just saw that you made the Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Fixed Luck patch.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:39:16 pm by felipechalreo »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:31 pm »
That would be great... I am trying to understand how drops works in the game, just out of curiosity.

Could you post the HoD Enemy DNA format? I was wondering if is possible to fix luck in the other games as well. I just saw that you made the Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Fixed Luck patch.

Here's the format: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/docs/formats/HoD%20Enemy%20DNA%20Format.txt

The function enemies call to drop stuff when they die is 080313A0. From what I can tell from looking at this function it doesn't even read the player's luck at all, so the only things that affect the drop chance are the base chance and whether the player has the rare ring on (or the heart choker, for hearts).

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2017, 07:04:41 am »
Say lunatic...
Did you see my questions about the palette of charlottes spells scrolls and the diagonal whipping?
It's ok if you don't know, i'm grateful for your help everytime, i just wanna know if you saw this  :-\
And since i'm already here, thanks for that great tool and your help, i can't await the next update :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:15:09 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2017, 02:55:28 pm »
Say lunatic...
Did you see my questions about the palette of charlottes spells scrolls and the diagonal whipping?
It's ok if you don't know, i'm grateful for your help everytime, i just wanna know if you saw this  :-\
And since i'm already here, thanks for that great tool and your help, i can't await the next update :laugh:

Yup I saw them, but I don't know anything more about how to do those than you do. Good luck though! I'd be interested to know where the code you need to modify for those is if you find it.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2017, 02:58:29 pm »
Phew, thanks i thought you just oversaw them XD.
Thanks i'll try!

December 22, 2017, 04:05:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey lunatic, i have a question again.
I want that the special playable character in my por zero from the megaman zero series is, and i have the perfect palette so he doesn't even need weapons like the old axe armor but...
1st. The spritesheet is too small
2nd i don't want hundrets of Zero's running around dracula's castle since the player and enemy use the same sheet.
Can i make tha program load a completely new sprite and animation file individually for the old axe armor player?
I guess vanya was adding an enemy once so shouldn't a player be possible as well?
Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:05:05 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2017, 02:19:54 am »
Phew, thanks i thought you just oversaw them XD.
Thanks i'll try!

December 22, 2017, 04:05:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey lunatic, i have a question again.
I want that the special playable character in my por zero from the megaman zero series is, and i have the perfect palette so he doesn't even need weapons like the old axe armor but...
1st. The spritesheet is too small
2nd i don't want hundrets of Zero's running around dracula's castle since the player and enemy use the same sheet.
Can i make tha program load a completely new sprite and animation file individually for the old axe armor player?
I guess vanya was adding an enemy once so shouldn't a player be possible as well?

Adding new things is impossible for most types of things. You need to replace an existing thing with your new thing instead, whether it be a new enemy, item, sprite, etc.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 23, 2017, 07:37:39 am »
When I get around to messing with enemies, I was always planning to replace existing resources.
My concerns were more about possibly porting enemies from some of the other games to cut down on some of the work, but they were always intended to be replacements.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2017, 08:20:53 am »
Thanks vanya, i was really confused when lunatic said that i can't add stuff.
And one more thing,
If i want to replace someones sheet with the one of zero,
Does it have to be an enemy's sheet?
Since the old axe armor uses the sheet as enemy and as player.
And also, does Zero's sheet have to be as big as the one i removed or does it not even matter?
Because i would then make a really big one like richter's so i can just add stuff when needed.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2017, 01:24:10 pm »
Thanks vanya, i was really confused when lunatic said that i can't add stuff.
And one more thing,
If i want to replace someones sheet with the one of zero,
Does it have to be an enemy's sheet?
Since the old axe armor uses the sheet as enemy and as player.
And also, does Zero's sheet have to be as big as the one i removed or does it not even matter?
Because i would then make a really big one like richter's so i can just add stuff when needed.

The old axe armor enemy and player use separate sprite/palette/gfx, so if you replace the player one it won't affect the enemy.

You can't add new GFX pages. Old axe armor currently has 1 GFX page, so you need to fit every one of zero's sprites onto that single 128x128 sheet. If 128x128 pixels isn't enough you need to replace a player that has more than 1 GFX page, like Maria for example has 5, Richter has 0x17, etc.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2017, 01:27:44 pm »
That's bad :'(
My only option then is 8 bit simon...
Thanks anyway

December 23, 2017, 02:18:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
WAIT!
Can't i mix unused gfx files?
I mean use the old axe armor's gfx file and a few unused ones from richter?
Or would it cause problems with the palette?
Because i'm almost sure i saw something using two files at once....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:18:50 pm by MaverickZero »

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #272 on: December 26, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
Hey team, quick question- if I wanted to make enemies and their attacks faster, how would I go about doing that? I vaguely recall it being discussed before but I can't remember what the solution was.

Thanks!
I know something of cages.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 26, 2017, 11:59:18 pm »

December 23, 2017, 02:18:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
WAIT!
Can't i mix unused gfx files?
I mean use the old axe armor's gfx file and a few unused ones from richter?
Or would it cause problems with the palette?
Because i'm almost sure i saw something using two files at once....

I'm not sure, it might work. You could try making your own GFX list from scratch and then assigning that to old axe armor in the player editor. But then there's also the "GFX asset index" field... not sure how that works, but it might require the GFX assets to be sequential, in which case mix and matching various GFX pages would be impossible.

Hey team, quick question- if I wanted to make enemies and their attacks faster, how would I go about doing that? I vaguely recall it being discussed before but I can't remember what the solution was.

Thanks!

In the sprite editor, select the enemy you want and find its attack animation. Then go through each keyframe in the animation one by one (by slowly dragging the slider next to the play button). For each keyframe, modify the "Frame delay" field. If you want the enemy to attack twice as fast, halve the number in that field for each keyframe, so 08 -> 04, 13 -> 09, etc.

Note that making the animation faster will make most enemies attack faster, but walking/flying speed is a different thing altogether, you'd need to modify the enemy AI to change movement speed.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #274 on: December 27, 2017, 05:56:12 pm »
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
I know something of cages.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
I tried now killing three bosses with charlotte while having the heart brooch equipped to look if they have programming to drop items, because if enemies do, they drop at leat a heart.
Sadly, no boss yet dropped a heart, so i guess they are not programmed to drop something.
If i want to make them drop something, is it just an enable and disable thing?
Or does it require hardcoding and stuff?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2018, 01:11:03 pm »
I tried now killing three bosses with charlotte while having the heart brooch equipped to look if they have programming to drop items, because if enemies do, they drop at leat a heart.
Sadly, no boss yet dropped a heart, so i guess they are not programmed to drop something.
If i want to make them drop something, is it just an enable and disable thing?
Or does it require hardcoding and stuff?

Yes, all items with special effects like that are hardcoded.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
Wait XD, misunderstanding again.
Not the heart brooch, i mean if i want bosses to drop items.
You explained me the special effect stuff already, and thanks again for that.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2018, 01:30:32 pm »
Wait XD, misunderstanding again.
Not the heart brooch, i mean if i want bosses to drop items.
You explained me the special effect stuff already, and thanks again for that.

Every enemy has unique code for when it dies - most regular enemies just call a generic enemy death function that does several things like checking for item drops, but I'm pretty sure bosses all have special death code since they have to spawn boss orbs, set their specific boss death flag, etc.
I doubt any of the bosses are coded to check for drops when they die (though it's a possibility, you'd need to check every boss to be sure). You would probably need to add a new line of code that calls EnemyCheckDrops to the boss's death code in order for them to drop items. Not sure if anything else would be necessary.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »
Now i understand :o, thanks again!