News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.7)  (Read 23983 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:52 pm »
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not too surprised it's like that though. Thanks for the info! Also, does this mean that you're working on adding a HoD editor (and maybe CotM down the line?) ;)

Yup I'm currently adding support for HoD, it will be in 1.7.
CotM though was made by a different team and seems to use a different engine, so I doubt DSVEdit could support it. Someone would need to make an editor entirely from scratch for it.

Thanks lunatic, you saved me a LOT of time and about music inserting...
I have a theory there, vgmtrans shows the music data in hex, so if you copy a music track in hex and paste it into the other game you COULD try to re point it.
I would try to do that but i forgot how to re point.
And like i said still just a theory...

I think it would be possible, although very tedious and complicated, the replace music with a hex editor.
As far as I know, you would need to replace a SSEQ file, a SBNK file, and multiple SWAV files for each song you want to replace. You would also need to make manual changes to some of the files to work in the new game.
If you want to try, I found this documentation on the DS's sound formats: http://www.feshrine.net/hacking/doc/nds-sdat.php
Also, each of those files you replace would need to be the same size or smaller than what the original file was, of course. If any are bigger it's not possible.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2017, 10:39:27 pm »
That's exciting! Thank you so much for your hard work on these. I know it's probably rather time consuming.
I know something of cages.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2017, 02:31:14 am »
Thanks, maybe I'll try it someday.
So just another question here, do you know if it's possible to change Richter's shadow's when tackling, kicking or slidejumping?
There are too many shadows and they are definitely too close to each other, i wouldn't edit it right now anyway since I'm busy with the sprites and animations but i want to know for the future.
Thanks in advance :)
P.s. Uuuuh...
I made a big mistake i guess...
The magus ring asm thing wich was supposed to let me pick up one each playthrough.
It did not appear once, not even the first time so i can't get one anymore.
Have i set the wrong value to 0?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:47:33 pm by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:50 pm »
P.s. Uuuuh...
I made a big mistake i guess...
The magus ring asm thing wich was supposed to let me pick up one each playthrough.
It did not appear once, not even the first time so i can't get one anymore.
Have i set the wrong value to 0?

It should work if you changed the line which was originally "bl GetOwnedItemNum" to be "mov r0, 0h" so it thinks you have 0 of the item when spawning it. I dunno what you did but if it was something else it could result in the item not appearing at all. You'll need to revert that change by checking what the line originally was in a clean rom.

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »
Just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work you are doing,  LagoLunatic.
:) :thumbsup: ;D

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2017, 05:11:31 am »
Hey lunatic,
I made lots of mistakes again :D
I don't have hitbox 10 anymore, which is pretty often used.
How can i create own hitboxes?
I need to recreate it.
Thanks again.
And yes SinWorld is right, your work really IS Awesome!
P.s.
Sorry, never mind that, i'll use a default sprite data and make it right this time.
But still...
I wonder why it dissapeared...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:31:51 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2017, 12:07:39 pm »
Hey lunatic,
I made lots of mistakes again :D
I don't have hitbox 10 anymore, which is pretty often used.
How can i create own hitboxes?
I need to recreate it.
Thanks again.
And yes SinWorld is right, your work really IS Awesome!
P.s.
Sorry, never mind that, i'll use a default sprite data and make it right this time.
But still...
I wonder why it dissapeared...

That's weird, I'm not sure why it disappeared. But for future reference making a new hitbox can be done by:
* First make a new visual part by double clicking a sprite like normal
* Drag the edges to resize it to be the size you want the hitbox
* Drag it down to the huge pink region at the bottom
* In the panel on the left, rename this part so its name starts with "hitbox" (lowercase) so DSVEdit knows it's a hitbox.

If you're adding multiple hitboxes make sure they all have unique names like "hitbox new 1" "hitbox new 2" or whatever, you'll get conflicts if hitboxes have duplicate names.
Also, if a hitbox is unused DSVEdit will ignore it and not import it. So make sure it's used at least once in the .anim file before importing.
Come to think of it I should add this info to the readme.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2017, 11:55:01 pm »
Thanks lunatic, and i know how it disappeared XD.
I used one of the hitboxes down there to cover a new sprite of Richter XD.
Well i've got another question here, if i want to make all consumables auto consumed when touching them like the hp/mp up items, would this as well need asm?
And the records, i just want to change the displayed music, for example bloodlines bequathed instead of in search of the secret spell, how can i do that?
And if you don't know, please be so kind and tell me once you find out.
thanks that you keep helping me that much :laugh:
P.s.
Just a question aside, if i make the boss doors like the one in the nest of evil (so that the boss respawns after leaving and reentering the portrait) would it cause story softlocks?
And if i make bosses drop items would they do so?
Because i tried it already with the sandworm and cheated 9999 luck to try it out but no matter how much i killed it wouldn't drop an item so the question.
P.s.
Screw the idea with the auto use of items, sorry :<
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:32:07 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »
Thanks lunatic, and i know how it disappeared XD.
I used one of the hitboxes down there to cover a new sprite of Richter XD.
Well i've got another question here, if i want to make all consumables auto consumed when touching them like the hp/mp up items, would this as well need asm?
And the records, i just want to change the displayed music, for example bloodlines bequathed instead of in search of the secret spell, how can i do that?
And if you don't know, please be so kind and tell me once you find out.
thanks that you keep helping me that much :laugh:
P.s.
Just a question aside, if i make the boss doors like the one in the nest of evil (so that the boss respawns after leaving and reentering the portrait) would it cause story softlocks?
And if i make bosses drop items would they do so?
Because i tried it already with the sandworm and cheated 9999 luck to try it out but no matter how much i killed it wouldn't drop an item so the question.
P.s.
Screw the idea with the auto use of items, sorry :<

So you want to change the music playing in Forgotten City from In Search of the Secret Spell to Bloodlines Bequeathed? Most background music you can change in DSVEdit's music editor. But it seems it can only edit the above ground music (Sandfall), and they hardcoded the underground song to be In Search of the Secret Spell.

Changing boss doors won't make bosses themselves respawn, it will only make the boss doors respawn, trapping the player in an empty room.
If you change the boss's code you could probably make them respawn, but as you suspect it would cause story softlocks for many bosses. The 4 bosses before Brauner need to be dead for Brauner's portrait to unlock for example.

An enemy will drop items if it's coded to drop items. Some enemies that didn't originally drop items are coded to drop them, like Skeleton Tree. I don't know if Sand Worm is coded to drop items or not, but even if it is they would spawn at the bottom of the screen and be impossible to grab. I dunno about bosses, you'll have to test it and find out.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2017, 08:48:03 pm »
Lunatic, something horrible happened today :'(...
I was finally done with Richter, but as i inserted the gfx files and the darkfunction sprites, it became even worse than last time, he is now completely invisible and you even get stuck after you use the whip...
And if you may think it's because of the changes to my rom, it's not because i also tried it in a clean rom with the same result.
Was it too much for the frogram, all at once or? :-\
If i could contact you private somehow, i would send you the files personally because the sprites weren't made by me and i can't share them all around...
Please help me here, it's very important for me!
And about the music...
You misunderstood me, i wanted to know how to change the music that the music records are playing.
I'm relying on you now, please don't let me down :thumbsup:

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2017, 09:09:01 pm »
Lunatic, something horrible happened today :'(...
I was finally done with Richter, but as i inserted the gfx files and the darkfunction sprites, it became even worse than last time, he is now completely invisible and you even get stuck after you use the whip...
And if you may think it's because of the changes to my rom, it's not because i also tried it in a clean rom with the same result.
Was it too much for the frogram, all at once or? :-\
If i could contact you private somehow, i would send you the files personally because the sprites weren't made by me and i can't share them all around...
Please help me here, it's very important for me!

If Richter is becoming invisible again, isn't that the bug we talked about before? If you want to fix it without starting over you will need to delete all the erroneously added "unanimated frames" in darkfunction to get the size of the sprite file down.
I can tell you the unanimated frames Richter originally had are numbered B5-D2. You don't want to delete those since Richter needs them, but if you delete all the other unanimated frames in darkfunction except B5-D2 and then import, it should fix it.

That bug will be fixed for 1.7 which will be released soon, so you may want to hold off on making more sprite edits until then so it doesn't keep adding unanimated frames you will need to delete.

If you need to contact me privately this site has a private message feature.

And about the music...
You misunderstood me, i wanted to know how to change the music that the music records are playing.
I'm relying on you now, please don't let me down :thumbsup:

You can't change what song a record plays, that's hardcoded based off the item ID.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »
Thank's that's a relief.
And another question here, can i add items instead of changing?
It should be possible but would take a lot of programming right?
And Charlotte's spells scrolls that you are collecting, where can i edit it?
I want it to be blue like in hd,
And yes i found its sprite in a gfx file but how can i change it's palette?
Sidenote, i actually don't plan to release my hack but you are helping me that much, do you want it once I'm done?
I'd really like to show you the results once I'm done. :laugh:

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2017, 11:00:00 pm »
Thank's that's a relief.
And another question here, can i add items instead of changing?
It should be possible but would take a lot of programming right?
And Charlotte's spells scrolls that you are collecting, where can i edit it?
I want it to be blue like in hd,
And yes i found its sprite in a gfx file but how can i change it's palette?
Sidenote, i actually don't plan to release my hack but you are helping me that much, do you want it once I'm done?
I'd really like to show you the results once I'm done. :laugh:

You can't add items because the no. of items is based on hardcoded lists in game, and raising this size can lead to complications as the items can overwrite other parts of the RAM if you're not careful. So I would say it's possible, but very tricky.

For Charlotte's spell scrolls, GIMP is your friend.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2017, 11:13:15 pm »
Thanks for clarifying the item stuff, but what exactly do i have to do with GIMP?
I mean, if you go to edit items and say click on a potion you can choose the icon and new palette and then insert it, but since i can't choose the scroll anywhere to select the palette I'm asking you now what you mean by GIMP?
And thanks for the reply :)

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2017, 11:32:49 pm »
GIMP is a free, powerful image editor you can get from here: https://www.gimp.org/ . Download it and lookup how to edit palettes with it.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2017, 11:38:34 pm »
Wait there is a misunderstanding here sorry :huh:, i don't want to edit the palette, i want to give it an already existing one but just another one,it uses palette 2 but i want palette 0 for it.
But thanks anyway  :)
P.s.
Lunatic i'm certain now that i want to learn asm since i need it that much and i can't bother you all the time, but there is one problem...
As you gave me instructions like i have to remove "Playsfxatpos" i wasn't able to see it, i could change it because i knew the exact adress but the no$gba debugger i use isn't showing these informations.
Is it because of the version i'm using or because of some kind of setting?
I really want to learn it now but it get's hard without seeing these commands.
And did you list anywhere which animations are played at which conditions like with the richter jumpkick,something like the ram map you made?
I want to give all whips alternate animations which look the same as richters whip so jonathan and richter can use them but it shows individual whip animations for each character, so i need to know where i can set which animations are taken for each characters.
Well IF i can set it individually for both jonathan and richter.
Thanks again.
P.s.
At your ram map the adress for the missions, there are bits that affect the conditions to complete the missions.
To clarify it, i guess it determines if you have accepted the mission or not, since some missions can only be completed after you accepted them by talking to wind.
It was bit 04,2
Or so i'm not that good in this stuff, hope that helped somehow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:54:37 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
Lunatic i'm certain now that i want to learn asm since i need it that much and i can't bother you all the time, but there is one problem...
As you gave me instructions like i have to remove "Playsfxatpos" i wasn't able to see it, i could change it because i knew the exact adress but the no$gba debugger i use isn't showing these informations.
Is it because of the version i'm using or because of some kind of setting?
I really want to learn it now but it get's hard without seeing these commands.

I think it's a setting. Trying pressing the Tab key in no$gba, that toggles on/off showing symbol names like "PlaySfxAtPos".

Also, the symbol file is automatically copied by DSVEdit when you build the rom. So if you open a rom that wasn't made by DSVEdit, you will need to copy the symbol file manually. To do this, copy the file ./docs/asm/PoR Functions.txt to the same folder as the rom you're opening, and rename it to have the same name as the rom but a .sym extension. e.g. if you're opening "PoR.nds", you need to have "PoR.sym" in the same folder in order to see the symbol names in no$gba.

felipechalreo

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2017, 01:41:50 pm »
This looks impressive. I'm doing some research on Harmony of Dissonance. Do you know how to change drop rates?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »
This looks impressive. I'm doing some research on Harmony of Dissonance. Do you know how to change drop rates?

Yup, it's part of the enemy DNA. The chance is out of 0x400, so 0x40 is a 1/16 chance for example.

Speaking of which, HoD support is almost done and I think I can release DSVEdit 1.7 soon. Just need to finish the last of getting entity editing working properly, and try to get editing shop prices working.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:04 am »
Hey lunatic, i have a great idea,
If i want to give whip animations a 3rd animation which looks exactly like richter's whip, and i want only richter to use them, do i have to change the setting in richter like we did with the jumpkick? Or do the whip's have their own setting, when which animations are played?
I want that both richter and jonathan have seperate whipping animations, for the same whip.
Hmmm... Also i hope that richter's whip will also fit in the sheet of the normal whips.
Anyway, thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:37:26 am by MaverickZero »