News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)  (Read 105038 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.5)
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »
1.5 is complete! Huge update this time.

One new feature is that 1.5 keeps track of cleared space from when you add a new entity or expand a layer (since it moves the data elsewhere) and reuses that space later. So it should be much harder to hit the cap for sector overlay sizes now, which is good if you want to make a bunch of big rooms or add a lot of entities.

For AoS support, the major features such as editing rooms, items, enemies, etc should mostly all work. But if you try to add a new entity or change the size of a layer it will crash. And the smaller editors don't support AoS at all yet.

Extremely optional feature request: Could you write something that'll dump item/AI/weapon/soul/etc offsets along with the name of what they're associated with? Like, example line for AoS:
Wood_Golem_Soul,0x080322E8

I'm messing with Ida again and it'd be really good if I could rig up a script to take that output and autotag functions. Here's what wood golem looks like with just that manually picked out: http://i.imgur.com/unEbgRG.png

GBA seems to be the only system where it correctly loads things, though. Messing with the DS games requires a running emulator. :(

Looking at your screenshot of Ida, that seemed like something super useful to me too. I looked into and found out No$GBA supports symbol files too. So I made ones for all 4 games:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/tree/master/docs/asm
In addition to the enemy/object/skill code I dumped, I also put in functions I know about from manually looking through ASM code, and documented what I know about them.
For No$GBA to use one of these files, it has to be in the directory where the ROM is and have the same name as the ROM but a .sym extension. Like "built_rom_aos.sym".

Wow, AOS support, I hope you keep going and get HOD and COTM. I know HOD should be straightened out so each castle looks unique. I always get the two confused. Never should have opened them both up at the same time.

After AoS support is complete I'll look into HoD. I think it will be doable, though there do seem to be some differences compared to AoS.
CotM seemed pretty drastically different from the brief look I gave it, but I'm not sure yet.

DoctorGoat

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »
Julius souls are stored at 0xE1ED8 and have a length of 0x10. I'm probably going to swap them over over some bad Soma souls when I finish up this project I'm working on.

I haven't messed with the DS games in a bit since the GBA randomizer has some popularity and the project I'm working on will make that even better.

MoonBeautySabata

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2017, 08:52:29 pm »
AOS Support :thumbsup:

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2017, 04:52:34 pm »

After AoS support is complete I'll look into HoD. I think it will be doable, though there do seem to be some differences compared to AoS.
CotM seemed pretty drastically different from the brief look I gave it, but I'm not sure yet.

Well that is probably because CoTM was not made by IGA and his team so that game will definitely have a different sort of code than the ones you have been working on, that being said I myself personally would MUCH rather see support for CoTM rather than HOD considering I feel its the stronger of the two, just my two cents, GREAT update by the way I'm LOVING this tool.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

FeRcHuLeS

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2017, 10:05:21 am »
Does this support windows XP?? I can't manage to run it got a message about ruby.exe & msvcrt.dll

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2017, 11:31:38 am »
Does this support windows XP?? I can't manage to run it got a message about ruby.exe & msvcrt.dll

I'm not sure since I don't own windows XP, but I think I've read that Ruby 2 doesn't work on XP.
So let's go with no, DSVEdit doesn't support XP.

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2017, 12:32:03 pm »
So, how's the progress on Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2017, 04:59:43 pm »
So, how's the progress on Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon?

No progress on those, I'm not starting HoD until AoS support is complete since AoS still has a number of things I don't understand and just ignored to get the editor mostly working.
Based on what DarkPrinceAlucard said CotM will probably be so different that support for it won't be possible at all.

I've been making progress on AoS though, I got the GFX editor and tileset editor working, you can add new entities and layers and change the size of layers, and right now I'm trying to figure out how those star backgrounds in chaotic realm and rotating gears in clock tower work.

I've also added a couple new tools for all the games:

But mostly I've been focusing on another project, separate from DSVEdit, which I think I can release pretty soon.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »
Keep up the good work with whatever project you do!  I'm quite fascinated by all this already.  Take your time and do what works best for you.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2017, 01:36:44 am »
I'm really looking forward to that Aria of Sorrow support.

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2017, 09:55:28 pm »
I'm trying to fix the typos on portrait of ruin ("Richiter", "Charotte"), using DSVania 1.5, but the strings don't show up on the text editor or anywhere else.

BTW is it possible to make Albus in OOE go through walls like Shanoa with the paries glyph? So it's not necessary to use the touchpad

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »
I'm trying to fix the typos on portrait of ruin ("Richiter", "Charotte"), using DSVania 1.5, but the strings don't show up on the text editor or anywhere else.

They're actually images, so you need to use the gfx editor to edit them.
Richiter is in /sc/f_seleob1.dat with palette 022C5110.
Charotte is in /sc/f_equipob0.dat with palette 022C2C5C, and you need to check the one dimensional mode checkbox.

BTW is it possible to make Albus in OOE go through walls like Shanoa with the paries glyph? So it's not necessary to use the touchpad

No, that's not really possible. The code for going in walls is all in the paries skill code itself, meaning you need to have paries equipped and use it to go in walls. In Albus mode he has his gun Agartha equipped as his back glyph, so if you gave him paries instead he wouldn't be able to shoot his gun. Also it'd be weird that you activate paries with Y instead of R, because of the way Albus's controls are laid out.

Besides, I think using the touch screen to warp around with Albus is fun, unlike the arbitrary and frustrating magic seals in DoS, so even if it is somehow possible I'm not planning on making that patch.

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »
Thanks for the help, shame that you can't make that patch for OOE.

Here is a BPS patch for POR, since i couldn't get IPS to work:

https://mega.nz/#!tVhliArK!1U3HUjLqMTFy27BbR0oGYV1TP6g6vWXkLxCuFo1D-D0

June 20, 2017, 09:09:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm try to remedy Albus' mandatory touchscreen teleport, by removing collision from tiles then placing a movement blocker inside a wall, then putting a entity hider, so that only albus can get through.

But i can't find the collision editor anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:09:48 pm by Robpt1 »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2017, 04:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the help, shame that you can't make that patch for OOE.

Here is a BPS patch for POR, since i couldn't get IPS to work:

https://mega.nz/#!tVhliArK!1U3HUjLqMTFy27BbR0oGYV1TP6g6vWXkLxCuFo1D-D0

June 20, 2017, 09:09:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm try to remedy Albus' mandatory touchscreen teleport, by removing collision from tiles then placing a movement blocker inside a wall, then putting a entity hider, so that only albus can get through.

But i can't find the collision editor anywhere.

Good job with the typo fix, I tested it and it worked fine.

For editing the collision tileset, 1.5 doesn't have that ability. But coincidentally, I coded that just recently, and it'll be in 1.6:

Sorry for the delayed response btw, RHDN doesn't seem to send me notifications anymore.

Gentlemaner

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2017, 01:58:57 am »
LagoLunatic !!Thanks for your  DSVania Editor,I hack the CV HoD,find change Monster ID,change the Monster LZ77 Data address。

for example:change the Skeleton ID,together change the Skeleton LZ77 Data address。

I am a Chinese hacker,but My English evel in general.

LagoLunatic!!非常感谢你编修了 DSVania Editor 这个修改器,我在修改恶魔城白夜协奏曲(Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance),发现修改怪物ID后,必须还要
修改对应怪物的LZ77地址,如果只修改了怪物ID,而没有修改对应怪物的LZ77地址,GBA显存地址0600000,会载入原来的怪物tiles数据。

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2017, 10:06:54 am »
LagoLunatic !!Thanks for your  DSVania Editor,I hack the CV HoD,find change Monster ID,change the Monster LZ77 Data address。

for example:change the Skeleton ID,together change the Skeleton LZ77 Data address。

I am a Chinese hacker,but My English evel in general.

LagoLunatic!!非常感谢你编修了 DSVania Editor 这个修改器,我在修改恶魔城白夜协奏曲(Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance),发现修改怪物ID后,必须还要
修改对应怪物的LZ77地址,如果只修改了怪物ID,而没有修改对应怪物的LZ77地址,GBA显存地址0600000,会载入原来的怪物tiles数据。

So when replacing enemies in Harmony of Dissonance, you have to change not just the enemy ID, but also a pointer to some LZ77-compressed data?
Thanks for the info! I haven't started hacking HoD yet, but that sounds like it will be helpful to know when I do.

randomperson35

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »
http://darkfunction.com/editor/

Check this sprite editor tool, maybe it will come in handy.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:18 pm »
DSVEdit 1.6 is finally released! I haven't posted here for a while, so here's a bit of an overview of what I was working on:

I made lots of progress with AoS support: I fixed bugs in how sprite animations and rooms are displayed, I got weapon and soul sprites to show up correctly, I implemented text encoding, added boss rush, got the music editor working, etc. AoS support should now be about the same as the DSVanias now, but let me know if you find any bugs. Note that the player editor can't support AoS since player's are hardcoded in AoS.

I've also improved the UI of the tileset editor, so rather than needing to tediously modify each tile one-by-one, you can right click and drag to select many tiles at once, use left click to draw those on the tileset, flip or edit your selection, etc. Here's a quick example: https://i.imgur.com/U28g7lw.gifv

I also added a way to easily choose which tileset to use for a given room:

I improved the GFX editor so that you can work with multiple files at once, exporting them all and importing them all simultaneously. And if you try to import an image that has colors that don't match the current palette, you're given the option to automatically convert that image to use the correct palette, so you don't need to manually do that. I also added a palette editor built into the GFX editor so you can edit the palette without needing to export to an external image editor.

http://darkfunction.com/editor/

Check this sprite editor tool, maybe it will come in handy.

Thanks for this suggestion! Turns out this program was exactly what I needed to get sprite editing working, it has a much better UI than what I can write when it comes to something this complex.
I wrote an exporter and importer for darkFunction's formats, so now you can just select a sprite in DSVEdit's sprite editor, export it, open in darkFunction and edit it, then import it back into DSVEdit with the sprite editor.
darkFunction has some limitations, like how it doesn't support palettes, only supports a single image, and doesn't have built in support for hitboxes, but I managed to get around these limitations to fully support sprite editing.

Now you can not only modify animations, but also add new frames and animations and parts and hitboxes, so you can effectively make entirely new sprites now.
The readme now includes basic instructions on how to use it to edit sprites. If anyone has issues with it let me know.

-----------------

For now, I'm gonna go back to focusing on my DSVania Randomizer and adding new options to it.
At some point I'll see about adding Harmony of Dissonance support to DSVEdit, but I suspect it'll be a while before that happens.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2017, 11:41:03 am »
Would it be possible to connect OoE areas with this?  :woot!:
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2017, 01:07:35 pm »
I still haven't tried this yet due to waiting for the editor to evolve more.  Shame that there won't be any CotM support.  Been eyeing that game for years now to do something with it.  I'll continue to dream  :P

Keep up the good work on this :)