News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.9.0)  (Read 119370 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
DSVania Editor (v1.9.0)
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »
Hey everyone. I've been working on hacking the DS Castlevania games for a while, and I just released the first version of my editor for them: DSVania Editor

You can find the latest version here:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/latest
If the program isn't launching for you make sure you have the latest version, and also make sure the path you put the program in doesn't have any unicode characters in it, only normal ASCII characters work.

And here's the source code of the program: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit

If you've got questions or anything, feel free to post them here.

-------------------------------

Changes in v1.9.0:
  • Implemented adding brand new rooms to the game.
  • Implemented a "Clear Room Contents" option that deletes everything inside of a room, so you can quickly free up most of the space used by that room.
  • Implemented adding, deleting, and changing the order of warp points in AoS and HoD.
  • Implemented the ability to change whether a room is a transition room in AoS and DoS (located in the room properties editor).
  • Added an address converter tool for the NDS games that allows converting back and forth between RAM addresses and the file path plus offset within the file for that address, to allow easier editing of things not supported by DSVEdit by using a hex editor.
  • Added new ARMIPS patches for PoR and OoE that change warp points to allow them to take you in between different areas, instead of only within the same area. (por_inter-area_warps.asm and ooe_inter-area_warps.asm)
  • Added new ARMIPS patches for PoR and OoE that display the player's placed map reminder markers on the top screen map. (por_map_markers_on_top_screen.asm and ooe_map_markers_on_top_screen.asm)
  • For sprites not in individual files, the frame dropdown now includes the pointer to each frame.
  • Numerous performance improvements.
  • Added the area names sprite to PoR's sprite editor's Other sprites list.
  • Added the Soma and Julius player sprites to AoS's sprite editor's Other sprites list. (Note that in Soma's case, the animations do not display correctly and should not be edited since he is animated via a different system than everything else in the game. I'm including Soma there just for convenience so you can click "Open in GFX Editor" when you want to edit his GFX or palettes in the GFX editor.)
  • When editing maps in PoR or OoE, the map editor will no longer allow you to add more warp points than the game can handle without glitching out.
  • Documented more special object variables for AoS.
  • Made more special objects display correctly in the editor for AoS.
  • Fixed the test room feature not initializing the camera centered on the player in HoD and AoS.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to encode text including invalid Shift JIS characters as Shift JIS.
  • Automatically convert hyphen-minus to minus when encoding HoD text.
  • Fixed many AoS weapons not displaying correctly in the sprite editor.
  • Fix a potential issue with paths when launching the emulator for testing.
  • Fixed a bug when replacing the hardcoded flag index requirement to unlock certain shop pools in DoS or OoE where DSVEdit would write invalid code if the flag index was equal to 1.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to use the sprite editor to directly add new animations/frames/parts to sprites.
  • Fixed the GFX editor not being able to render GFX pages not in individual files as two dimensional instead of one dimensional.
  • Fixed a bug where changing the tileset for a room that had empty layers would result in the empty layers also having that set as their tileset, wasting free space.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred if there was an error when changing the tileset for a room (such as not enough free space when combined with the above bug).
  • Fixed error messages appearing when trying to render a room that had non-empty layers with a tileset pointer of 0. Now the tiles on such layers will simply render as red with no error message.
  • Fixed a bug where free space in HoD was not being considered free space because it is composed of FF bytes instead of 00 bytes.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to save a sprite in the sprite editor but there is not enough free space.
  • Fixed the music editor labelling the Condemned Tower and Mine of Judgement sectors misleadingly.
  • Fixed some crashes that could happen when playing animations in the sprite editor.
  • Fixed a crash in the sprite editor when displaying a part that has an invalid palette index.
  • Fixed a crash when opening the tileset editor in a room where the collision tileset pointer is 0.
  • Fixed a crash when importing a room from Tiled in HoD if the room had no entities originally, and you also did not add any entities to it.
  • Fixed a bug when importing a sprite from darkFunction where imported animations would use the wrong keyframes if the sprite had any single-frame animations.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could happen when importing from darkFunction.
  • Fixed a bug where adding new doors to a room in HoD, then saving and reloading the project could sometimes result in DSVEdit displaying all the doors of the edited room in some other room in the game as well as the correct room because the room's relocated door list happened to be placed directly after other room's door list.

Changelogs for all versions can be found here: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:27:43 am by LagoLunatic »

Morinis

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:01:45 pm »
This is...interesting.  I'm gonna have to rethink one project now that I had planned for Circle of the Moon lol.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:51 am »
You should add a link to the full version on the project page. Cause some poeple don't visit the forum. It's too bad it's over 30 MB so it can't be hosted on this site itself.

Did you talk about this editor somewhere else? It's weird that such a comprehensive editor would come out without having any feedback from people.

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:27:14 am »
Hey everyone. I've been working on hacking the DS Castlevania games for a while, and I just released the first version of my editor for them:
DSVania Editor

And here's the source code of the program: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit

If the version I uploaded to romhacking.net doesn't run for you, try this updated version instead:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/download/v1.0/DSVania_Editor_1.0_full.zip

If you've got questions or anything, feel free to post them here.

Neat however you should have European version as well for more friendly also.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »
You should add a link to the full version on the project page. Cause some poeple don't visit the forum. It's too bad it's over 30 MB so it can't be hosted on this site itself.

Just submitted an update to the project page.

Did you talk about this editor somewhere else? It's weird that such a comprehensive editor would come out without having any feedback from people.

Nope. I don't think there are any sites specific to Castlevania romhacking like some series have. I've just been working on it solo.

Neat however you should have European version as well for more friendly also.

I might be able to add support for other versions at some point in the future. Not going to be easy though, since data is all shifted around in RAM in the different versions. And my program needs over 100 pointers for each game, so if I add support for the European and Japanese versions of all three games I'll need to re-find over 600 pointers.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:49 pm »
Great work! I haven't posted on here for a while, but this was a great find. Thank you for creating this wonderful tool. At the moment, can objects only be replaced, or is there some way to add them and add enemies that I'm missing? Thanks again!
I know something of cages.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:43:16 am »
Great work! I haven't posted on here for a while, but this was a great find. Thank you for creating this wonderful tool. At the moment, can objects only be replaced, or is there some way to add them and add enemies that I'm missing? Thanks again!

I'm glad you like it!

Yes, there's a way to add new entities to a room - if you open the room in Tiled, you can duplicate an entity already in the room, then import from Tiled. But I think for the next version I'll add a simpler way to add entities that you can do from in DSVEdit, like right click -> add entity or something.

theplottwist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:14 am »
Hello! First of all, your program is incredible and has already given me a lot of fun.

Now, I want to report one thing: Some people have expressed that the program is not working on their machines. This MIGHT have to do with the fact that your program, on startup, locks if the path for the executable has an accent anywhere.

For instance, when I first unpacked the program on my Desktop and tried starting the program, this error came up:

I then moved the program's folder to C:/, and sure enough, it started with no issues.

Then I put it inside a folder which letter had an accent. BOOM, suddenly it was not starting up anymore. Basically, english has no accents, so if your file path is in english, you're good.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:37 am »
This program is everything I could have ever dreamed of. Thanks, LagoLunatic!  :thumbsup:

Using this tool, I've been working on a set of patches for all three of the DS Castlevania games that aim to clear up some slightly iffy translations/spellings (very much like Almagest/Radagast's fixes for Aria of Sorrow - in fact, many spellings/translations are pretty much copied wholesale), maintain consistent terminology (where appropriate AND possible), and to to fix any nasty typos and formatting errors within the text.

I'm just about finished, but the only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is fixing the two remaining typos in Portrait of Ruin: 'Richiter Mode' on the File Select screen and 'Charotte Aulin' on the Equip screen (https://tcrf.net/Castlevania:_Portrait_of_Ruin#Typos).

I've thoroughly looked through all the viewable text and sprites, but I can't seem to locate the appropriate data (maybe its located somewhere else?).

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:26 am »
This program is everything I could have ever dreamed of. Thanks, LagoLunatic!  :thumbsup:

Using this tool, I've been working on a set of patches for all three of the DS Castlevania games that aim to clear up some slightly iffy translations/spellings (very much like Almagest/Radagast's fixes for Aria of Sorrow - in fact, many spellings/translations are pretty much copied wholesale), maintain consistent terminology (where appropriate AND possible), and to to fix any nasty typos and formatting errors within the text.

I'm just about finished, but the only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is fixing the two remaining typos in Portrait of Ruin: 'Richiter Mode' on the File Select screen and 'Charotte Aulin' on the Equip screen (https://tcrf.net/Castlevania:_Portrait_of_Ruin#Typos).

I've thoroughly looked through all the viewable text and sprites, but I can't seem to locate the appropriate data (maybe its located somewhere else?).

I managed to find them, they're stored as graphics instead of text.
Richiter is in /sc/f_seleob1.dat and Charotte is in /sc/f_equipob0.dat.
DSVEdit can't edit graphics but you can edit them with a generic editor like Tile Molester. For /sc/f_seleob1.dat set Mode: 2-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order. For /sc/f_equipob0.dat set Mode: 1-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order.

NecroCorey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »
I'm glad you like it!

Yes, there's a way to add new entities to a room - if you open the room in Tiled, you can duplicate an entity already in the room, then import from Tiled. But I think for the next version I'll add a simpler way to add entities that you can do from in DSVEdit, like right click -> add entity or something.
I popped in to ask if you had plans to make entities easier and you had already decided to do so. You're a legend.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »
Question. I just made a basic edit to test things out. In this case, adding some Zombies to one of the first rooms in PoR. I selected Build, but nothing is happening. I just get a Waiting screen that never progresses. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Reopening the editor seemed to work. Such cool stuff!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:42:56 pm by Eternal248 »
I know something of cages.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:48 am »
I managed to find them, they're stored as graphics instead of text.
Richiter is in /sc/f_seleob1.dat and Charotte is in /sc/f_equipob0.dat.
DSVEdit can't edit graphics but you can edit them with a generic editor like Tile Molester. For /sc/f_seleob1.dat set Mode: 2-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order. For /sc/f_equipob0.dat set Mode: 1-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order.

Those tips you gave for locating the graphics in Tile Molester were a lifesaver (probably never would have found them otherwise)! Both typos are now fixed.

Those patches should be coming soon once I've done a bit of play-testing.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
I just released version 1.2. It adds an easier way of adding entities to a room, an editor for the item pools used by OoE's random chests, and fixes some bugs.

Then I put it inside a folder which letter had an accent. BOOM, suddenly it was not starting up anymore. Basically, english has no accents, so if your file path is in english, you're good.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think there's any way for me to fix that but I mentioned it in the readme so hopefully that will help anyone having that problem.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:09 pm »
Another issue I have been running into is with the item editor, anytime I change something within it and hit the apply button the whole thing just freezes up on me.

The game in question is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »
I love these 3 games and am quite interested in playing around with this...

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »
Another issue I have been running into is with the item editor, anytime I change something within it and hit the apply button the whole thing just freezes up on me.

The game in question is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.

Looks like I made a mistake when adding bitfields to the item editor and never noticed it. I uploaded a hotfix for that bug:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/tag/v1.2.1

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:10 pm »
Impressive utility!
Thank you for making this!

One thing I wanted to ask is if this tool has sprite editing support, and if so how deep into sprites does it go?
I ask because I have a project regarding both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the works:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

I basically am editing all of the portraits in both games to give them a proper Kojima like art style instead of anime, and if your tool has support for editing the portraits and HUDs then it might make my life a lot easier haha.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:59 pm »
Impressive utility!
Thank you for making this!

One thing I wanted to ask is if this tool has sprite editing support, and if so how deep into sprites does it go?
I ask because I have a project regarding both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the works:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

I basically am editing all of the portraits in both games to give them a proper Kojima like art style instead of anime, and if your tool has support for editing the portraits and HUDs then it might make my life a lot easier haha.

I've been playing around with the tool all day and I have to say I have not seen anything related to editing the sprites, in fact in the readme file it makes it clear that the sprites are only for viewing purposes.

Pretty much as it is right now this tool would be helpful for sprite ripping and getting game assets rather than actually editing the sprites ingame itself.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:51 pm »
Just so you know, theres a thread for this at CV Dungeon.

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=9047