News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.9.1)  (Read 155097 times)

locusbelmont

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.9.0)
« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2020, 01:31:39 pm »
The animator is going just good I just set the sprites wrong lol.
Btw I'm working in this hack for AoS using DSvania since a couple of months ago and I have some issues if someone wants to help a little, or get some inspiration for his own hack idk.
https://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/thread/265/aos-sotn?page=4

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #481 on: April 15, 2020, 05:15:30 pm »
The animator is going just good I just set the sprites wrong lol.
Btw I'm working in this hack for AoS using DSvania since a couple of months ago and I have some issues if someone wants to help a little, or get some inspiration for his own hack idk.
https://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/thread/265/aos-sotn?page=4

I PM'd you about Sappy on CVModding. Hack looks great BTW!  :thumbsup:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

locusbelmont

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 15, 2020, 10:16:02 pm »
Ok new issue... I need to find where at the pointers of the HUD... You know the menus the life bar etc. Etc. I know I can use the gfx viewer of the DS Vania

April 18, 2020, 04:27:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Legolunatic there's did you think to include the Soma's animations na in the next DSvania editor update???

April 18, 2020, 07:25:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And a zoom feature in the animator
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:25:46 pm by locusbelmont »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »
I will answer my question I asked before. Finding new pointer for the GFX editor can be archived in different ways. I tried to use Visual Boy Advanced and failed to put a break-point somewhere but seems to be a great tool that helped me a lot so far. no$GBA I failed to set up in a way so I could use it as a debugging tool. (got debugger version.. :-[) Beside I have no clue of ARM7 opcodes anyway so far..
I did look up the offset where the GFX editor of DSvaniaEd does read the pointer from and beside the pointer are values I don't know the format. Probably BPP or compression flag or what not. Essential been just searching the ROM for this values and I could find a lot of GFX pointer along them.

People been asking for Portraits or HUD tiles. Here they are. Also DSVaniaEd does put a $08 in front of the ROM offset. This is how the ROM is mapped to the CPU BUS. As a example the GFX pointer for the Portrait is at $0815e054. To go to the next Portrait you add $8 (0815e06c)

I don't know much about the game so sorry about descriptions.. most of the things are in DSvaniaEd already. I don't know of a good way to find palettes in AoS. I know how to find them next to VRAM but in the ROM the palettes have different Values. Any tip is welcome.

Compressed GFX Aria of Sorrow

0e5364 - 0e537c    Tiles
0e5bb0 - 0e5c20      Starting Scene Fonts and 8bpp Things
119870 - 119c08    Tiles
15e02c - 15e04c      Fonts SaveRoom? Tiles
15E044         Soma Portrait
15e054 - 15e074      Portraits
15e084 - 15e0a4    Text Borders
160480 - 160488      Bats and Dark Moon

1CBE0C - 1cbf14      Box Tiles Sprites Candle Bell Crumbling Bridge
1cbf2c - 1cc0bc      Sprites
1e4184 - 1E41D4      Sprites Bosses

1EC1FC - 1EC204    Sprites
1f4214 - 1F42A4      Sprites

2052d0 - 2052F8      Player Select Screen
25ead4 - 25EB14      Special Menu

26823c - 268244      Credits

26C840 - 26C848      Menu Deutsch Health bar

277984         Menue Espaniol??

27AA0C - 27AA14      A Other Player Name Screen

27B200         Menu English

27B208          HUD

Should I post about my progress at adding music with Sappy too? It seems a bit off topic. But a great tool to assemble tracker for every GBA game. I haven't finished a whole peace yet since I struggle learning the midi tool. There is some work around that project that could be picked up by people interested hacking AoS game.

Here how I went about finding palettes: (answare my question again   :P )

Here a sum up how I went about it.
Open Visual boy and look for the pallets you need. Search the RAM for the value.

Advanced Palette editor will let you search for a palette with a minimum of one color. Then you search the ROM and load the rest from it. Check if it is the right one.

The GFX editor has a format to read pointers I don't understand right now. But you can just past the offset. It will be shifted slightly. Fix the offset "5byte?" and you should have it in the gfx editor too where it is easy to edit after.

I would be glad if someone who played the game could search for thing properly and make a nice list.
There are things missing still like a portrait of the main character. The palettes Could be listed alongside.
May be it could be added alongside of the editor Documents.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:14:29 pm by bogaabogaa »
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 28, 2020, 08:50:21 am »
It's great to see that this is still being developed! For help finding some of the more obscure stuff that you guys are having issues with, try using memhack. It is free and can be found at www.memoryhacking.com

That app is what helped me figure out SOTN inside out.
Esco.... the original Nuyorican Latin Lover! And creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night engine!

My Patreon page for the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED Engine: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 29, 2020, 05:16:59 pm »
I was wondering if the following text from Portrait of Ruin is handled as a text or as sprites in the ROM:

I'm trying to find all of the "RICHITER" typos in the game, and while I could find some others in sprite form in the ROM, I can't seem to find that one. So I wanted to ask if it's actually text in the game or if it's sprites.

Also, as a side question, is it possible to fix the Death Glitch in the US release of Portrait of Ruin with your editor, LagoLunatic?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 30, 2020, 08:56:00 pm »
I was wondering if the following text from Portrait of Ruin is handled as a text or as sprites in the ROM:

I'm trying to find all of the "RICHITER" typos in the game, and while I could find some others in sprite form in the ROM, I can't seem to find that one. So I wanted to ask if it's actually text in the game or if it's sprites.

It's not a sprite. I can't find where the text is anywhere though, strange. Might use some weird encoding different from the rest of the text in the game?

Also, as a side question, is it possible to fix the Death Glitch in the US release of Portrait of Ruin with your editor, LagoLunatic?

I fixed that for the randomizer a while back. Here, I just converted it to an ARMIPS patch so you can apply it to your hack: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/por_fix_death_softlock.asm

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 01, 2020, 08:58:57 pm »
I was doing new rooms on aria of sorrow, but I cant change the transparence layer of the water and the lights of the chapel to look like the original rooms, even in the tiled.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2020, 11:35:25 pm »
It's not a sprite. I can't find where the text is anywhere though, strange. Might use some weird encoding different from the rest of the text in the game?

Just noticed your reply, sorry.
Mmm that's weird.
Do you have like a TBL(s) that PoR uses?
Maybe I can try doing some more screwing around in the ROM for it.

I fixed that for the randomizer a while back. Here, I just converted it to an ARMIPS patch so you can apply it to your hack: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/por_fix_death_softlock.asm

Oh that's awesome!
I'll give it a go tomorrow.
How would you recommend compiling the ASM?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2020, 11:53:07 pm »
Oh that's awesome!
I'll give it a go tomorrow.
How would you recommend compiling the ASM?

"Apply ARMIPS Patch" in DSVEdit's GUI

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 03, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
"Apply ARMIPS Patch" in DSVEdit's GUI
So I open my already hacked ROM with DSVEdit GUI, select "Apply ARMIPS Patch" and then patch-in the Death Fix ASM?
I did that, but I noticed that creating an IPS patch out of it with my normal ROM hack gives me an 8 bytes IPS, with only the words "PATCHOF" in it. Making an XDelta patch gives me a 388 bytes patch.

Is this normal?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2020, 04:40:55 pm »
So I open my already hacked ROM with DSVEdit GUI, select "Apply ARMIPS Patch" and then patch-in the Death Fix ASM?
I did that, but I noticed that creating an IPS patch out of it with my normal ROM hack gives me an 8 bytes IPS, with only the words "PATCHOF" in it. Making an XDelta patch gives me a 388 bytes patch.

Is this normal?

I have no clue.

Instead of looking at those, simply test it ingame. Test room into the death fight, kill him, and immediately press the start button. If the bug happens, you didn't apply it correctly.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2020, 02:36:40 am »
Hey Lago,

I'm just about 75% of the way through revising the script of the final version of my HoD Localization Fix. The dialogue has been retranslated and polished up, which naturally entails a bit of expansion. Unfortunately, I've hit the limit and there's no more room in the rom to fit the expanded strings. Is there currently a way to expand the rom within the program and repoint the extra text, or will I need to use another program?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2020, 10:53:58 am »
Hey Lago,

I'm just about 75% of the way through revising the script of the final version of my HoD Localization Fix. The dialogue has been retranslated and polished up, which naturally entails a bit of expansion. Unfortunately, I've hit the limit and there's no more room in the rom to fit the expanded strings. Is there currently a way to expand the rom within the program and repoint the extra text, or will I need to use another program?

Oh, expanding the rom won't help with that actually - the rom has more than enough free space already. The issue is that DSVEdit is currently coded to only use the space that the original strings fit into, so if your new strings are much bigger it doesn't work. I totally forgot that I never went back to update the text editor to use the more sophisticated free space system after I implemented that. It'll be in the next version.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2020, 11:18:35 am »
No worries. All the time in the world! :)

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 14, 2020, 01:14:52 pm »
Lago, there's a way to put transparency on a layer, like the water/light layers of the original rooms of the games? I tried to put layer transparency with Tiled, but when I import to DSvania the transparency is not applied :c

locusbelmont

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 16, 2020, 11:07:08 pm »
Im working with the tileset editor and I realise that a 32x32 grid pattern in the BG will be so useful

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.9.1)
« Reply #497 on: May 30, 2020, 01:03:48 pm »
Just released DSVEdit 1.9.1 - mostly bug fixes, plus the ability to have much more text than before.

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2020, 02:54:53 pm »
Just released DSVEdit 1.9.1 - mostly bug fixes, plus the ability to have much more text than before.

Oh nice!  Been meaning to pick this editor back up again  :beer:

*cough*CotMsupportinthefuture?*cough*

Lol, sorry.  Keep up the good work on this editor :thumbsup:

Has HoD gotten more support or is it still the same as before? :)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5S3RZCjv0O6FmXlSgmHXg

"If you get offended by my honesty then re-evaluate your hobbies on here."

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2020, 03:01:03 pm »

Oh nice!  Been meaning to pick this editor back up again  :beer:

*cough*CotMsupportinthefuture?*cough*

Lol, sorry.  Keep up the good work on this editor :thumbsup:

Has HoD gotten more support or is it still the same as before? :)

If you mean the lack of the ability to edit HoD animations, that's still the same. I'm not very interested in reverse engineering HoD's animation format from scratch so it probably won't ever be implemented unless somebody else does it.

CotM does not use the same engine as any of the games supported by DSVEdit as I've mentioned before, so CotM support is impossible.