News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.6)  (Read 12650 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.3)
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 11:48:25 am »
By the way, we're done with the portraits hack, ShadowOne333 just submitted it to the site.

Now I'm very looking forward to what other hacks you guys can come up with. I heard there's a chance you can completely remove the seals at the end of boss battles? If so, I'll be saving my playthrough with the new portraits until that's done!  ;D

There's already patches for that on the main site. You just have to do the first line then it autocompletes.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 01:54:57 pm »
In your DSvania editor folder there are some asm files, how do i patch them into the game ?

Those are ARMIPS patch files. I'm planning to include a UI in DSVEdit to patch them at some point.

If you want to do it manually right now, here's how:
  • Download ARMIPS
  • Open the folder full of extracted game files
  • Put armips.exe and the asm file you want to apply in the that folder
  • Open a command prompt and type in: armips.exe name_of_asm_file.asm
  • After patching the files you can open the folder up in DSVEdit and build a ROM

Just be aware that most of my asm patches are still buggy and poorly tested. The only two that I'm pretty sure are bug-free are "por_allow_changing_starting_room.asm" (which DSVEdit already applies automatically) and "ooe_nonlinear.asm" (which you might want to just download this hack for, since the hack has more changes on top of the asm code).

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 04:06:11 pm »
Those are ARMIPS patch files. I'm planning to include a UI in DSVEdit to patch them at some point.

If you want to do it manually right now, here's how:
  • Download ARMIPS
  • Open the folder full of extracted game files
  • Put armips.exe and the asm file you want to apply in the that folder
  • Open a command prompt and type in: armips.exe name_of_asm_file.asm
  • After patching the files you can open the folder up in DSVEdit and build a ROM

Just be aware that most of my asm patches are still buggy and poorly tested. The only two that I'm pretty sure are bug-free are "por_allow_changing_starting_room.asm" (which DSVEdit already applies automatically) and "ooe_nonlinear.asm" (which you might want to just download this hack for, since the hack has more changes on top of the asm code).

I managed to patch it with the no seal drawing thanks, if i find any bugs ill post them here. This finally made DoS playable for me. Oh and is it possible to create a patch to smash those ice blocks like in julius mode ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:35:12 pm by Robpt1 »

gaiamegu64

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »
Is there anyway this can work on Windows XP64? Cause this thing wont work on my computer.

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 09:30:10 pm »
Congratulations on getting this released! This is quite a powerful tool and I'm sure will help the modding scene for the 3 DS Castlevania games greatly.

Just a few questions though. I've noticed while mucking about with it in a Portrait of Ruin ROM that the enemies physical defenses are displayed but not their magical defenses. Will they be listed at some point? I would also like it if you would be able to find where the values for spell charge timers and the values for the stat boost subweapons and spells are stored, it would immensely help with the mod I'm making for it.

Thanks again very much for such a powerful tool!

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:50 am »
Oh and is it possible to create a patch to smash those ice blocks like in julius mode ?

That's a nice idea! I think I managed to get it working, test it out if you want to.
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/dos_melee_balore_blocks.asm

Is there anyway this can work on Windows XP64? Cause this thing wont work on my computer.

Are you sure there's no special characters in the path you have the program in? It only works if the path is all normal ascii characters.

If that's not it, then I need to know what the error message is to try to help.

Congratulations on getting this released! This is quite a powerful tool and I'm sure will help the modding scene for the 3 DS Castlevania games greatly.

Just a few questions though. I've noticed while mucking about with it in a Portrait of Ruin ROM that the enemies physical defenses are displayed but not their magical defenses. Will they be listed at some point? I would also like it if you would be able to find where the values for spell charge timers and the values for the stat boost subweapons and spells are stored, it would immensely help with the mod I'm making for it.

Thanks again very much for such a powerful tool!

Thanks, I'm interested to see what you can make with it. :)

Magic defenses: It looks like it's Unknown 3. I'll update the name for the next version, and the ones for OoE too.

Spell charge timers: I found the list containing these and other interesting skill data as well, it's at 020E3B14. I'll add an editor for these at some point.

Stat boosts: The amount these boost by is hardcoded, it's always 0x0F for all of them, multiplied by 2 if fully charged, divided by 2 if ALL Boost.
If you want to change that 0x0F to something else it's the byte at 021EF088, or in terms of files it's at offset 21128 within file overlay9_0. This will affect all 6 boost spells.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 03:52:19 am »
That's a nice idea! I think I managed to get it working, test it out if you want to.
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/dos_melee_balore_blocks.asm
Is it still tied to the Balore soul?

theplottwist

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 09:18:24 am »
Hey LagoLunatic, it's me again!

I have a question that might not have an easy answer: Could you please tell me the GFX file path of the title screen logos for the three games along with their palette pointers?

This could prove extremelly useful for translation hacks. Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I DID manage to locate the graphic files (they're generally a variation of "f_tlog"), but no luck with palettes :(
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:49:03 am by theplottwist »

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 10:33:53 am »
Aw man thanks, i will test out the ice block patch as well, the less annoying gimmicks the game has the better.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 10:49:59 am »
Is it still tied to the Balore soul?

No but that would make sense so the soul isn't completely useless.

I updated the patch to check for the balore soul.

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:32 am »

I tested it out it works, but you're gonna need an overhead attack weapon like a greatsword, axe or mace to get through them. Alucard and Yoko can't break them in Julius mode
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:38:07 am by Robpt1 »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »

Awesome.

For the not-drawing-seals bug, in case you haven’t considered it: how feasible is it to just remove that option from the menu?

With ice blocks and seals, that only leaves the "Sign your name" thing and the Demon Guesthouse puzzle for touchscreen gimmicks, right? Or am I forgetting anything?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »
I tested it out it works, but you're gonna need an overhead attack weapon like a greatsword, axe or mace to get through them. Alucard and Yoko can't break them in Julius mode

For Yoko, it seems she doesn't use a weapon and her melee attacks are part of her player sprite, I'm not sure it's possible to make her break balore blocks.

But for Alucard I fixed it easy, patch is updated.

Awesome.

For the not-drawing-seals bug, in case you haven’t considered it: how feasible is it to just remove that option from the menu?

With ice blocks and seals, that only leaves the "Sign your name" thing and the Demon Guesthouse puzzle for touchscreen gimmicks, right? Or am I forgetting anything?

Not-drawing-seals bug: You mean the softlock in the practice seal menu? I updated the patch a couple days ago so it just draws the seal for you (since removing the option from the menu would probably be complicated).

Name signing: Actually made a patch for that a few weeks ago. It just skips that screen entirely and immediately starts a new game.
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/dos_skip_name_signing.asm

The sliding puzzle in demon guest house doesn't require the touch screen, you can use the dpad and A button too.

I'm pretty sure that covers everything that forces you to use the touchscreen. But I plan to play through the game with these patches on to check for bugs so I'll find out then if we forgot anything.

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
You could make the ice blocks breakable with bullet soul and magic attacks, would probably work for Yoko and make it less of a chore.

There is one more "harmless" gimmick, the enemy names don't show up on the bottom screen like in the other castlevanias, don't know if it possible to do add it though

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure that covers everything that forces you to use the touchscreen. But I plan to play through the game with these patches on to check for bugs so I'll find out then if we forgot anything.
Thank you for this.  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:30 pm »
@LagoLunatic, will you be releasing the Skip Drawing Seals + Break Ice Blocks w/Weapon + Name Skip patch separately?
Sounds like that sort of patch for DoS will make it so that we can avoid the touchscreen BS the DS had completely. :P
Hey that's a new nickname:
BS DS = Official term for touchscreen-forced gimmicks in games.

I ask because I wanted to give the full patch (Auto-Seals + Break Ice Blocks w/Weapon + Name Skip) a try this weekend.
And if you are okay with it, include it into the Portraits hack as an optional patch. (With proper credit of course)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:45 pm »
@LagoLunatic, will you be releasing the Skip Drawing Seals + Break Ice Blocks w/Weapon + Name Skip patch separately?
Sounds like that sort of patch for DoS will make it so that we can avoid the touchscreen BS the DS had completely. :P
Hey that's a new nickname:
BS DS = Official term for touchscreen-forced gimmicks in games.

I ask because I wanted to give the full patch (Auto-Seals + Break Ice Blocks w/Weapon + Name Skip) a try this weekend.
And if you are okay with it, include it into the Portraits hack as an optional patch. (With proper credit of course)

Yes I'm going to submit it to RHDN once I think it's ready.

Here's an ips patch with the three patches so far combined for anyone who wants to help test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/my4h885jt84f222/dos_no_forced_touch_screen.ips?dl=0

And sure, once it's done you can feel free to include it in your portrait hack.

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »
Man, you really are great! How did you figure out so fast what all these addresses and stuff mean though? Did you have to painstakingly hunt down the variables in the ROM or do you have the ROM extract its files and code into a more convenient readable format(before this editor came out anyway!)?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »
Man, you really are great! How did you figure out so fast what all these addresses and stuff mean though? Did you have to painstakingly hunt down the variables in the ROM or do you have the ROM extract its files and code into a more convenient readable format(before this editor came out anyway!)?

When I first started hacking these games a year ago I basically knew nothing about how to rom hack, so what I did back then was just changing random parts of the rom file (using this program) and seeing what it affected, eventually narrowing it down to the part of the rom that had stuff I wanted to edit. This was a very slow, painful process that I don't recommend to anyone, but it's what got me into hacking.

I gradually figured out better methods though, and nowadays what I do when I want to find something usually boils down to three steps:
1. Use DeSmuMe's RAM search feature to find certain variables in ram. For example if I wanted to find the player's STR I could search for numbers equal to the player's current STR, then equip different gear and search again for the new value, etc, until I've narrowed it down to just a couple values.
2. Once I know where a variable is in RAM I use No$gba Debugger to set a breakpoint on that address. This lets me find the code that writes/reads that variable, and then I can read the code to find out what it does. Usually this lets me find the location of a list of useful data without too much trouble.
3. Then I just play around with the data in the list to see what changing it at random affects, documenting what all the different values do. Once I've figured out a good chunk of it I can write a program that reads and edits this list.

Robpt1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:28 pm »
I played through the whole game including Julius mode with the IPS patch and found no issues
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:49:02 pm by Robpt1 »