News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.7.2)  (Read 50300 times)

SinWorld

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2018, 05:12:23 pm »
about dawn of sorrow

The way they removed some of the japanese voices was not by deleting them from sounddata.dat. They changed the code to no longer play the sfx for them. In order to add them back you'd need to examine the asm code of the japanese version to locate all the different places they call a function to play a sound effect which don't exist in the US version, then write asm code to add each call back to the US versions.

I'm new to rom editing, can you please give me pointers on where(which files to edit)and how to start(what software to use)?
Thank you.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »
about dawn of sorrow

I'm new to rom editing, can you please give me pointers on where(which files to edit)and how to start(what software to use)?
Thank you.

For software, no$gba debugger version allows you to view and modify the game's code while it's running: https://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm
Once you've figured out what changes to make, ARMIPS allows you to write an ASM patch to apply it to the game's files more permanently than no$gba allows: https://github.com/Kingcom/armips

I can't tell you the pointers because I don't know where the exact code is either. That's the work that needs to be done - finding what to modify and then modifying it. If I knew the pointers then half the work would be done already.
Actually, I don't even know what the list of voices missing from the US version of DoS is, so I wouldn't know where to look for them anyway.

If you're new to rom hacking you're probably going to find this very difficult as a first project. ASM is complicated to read and edit compared to regular programming languages, even if you're only making a single simple change. Getting all the voices to play properly would probably require making dozens of more complicated changes.

I can't help you with anything specific since I've never added missing voices into these games either. Only thing I can tell you are that some things that might be useful for you are in my docs: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/tree/master/docs

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.7.2)
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2018, 09:16:01 am »
You need to fix the jumpkick animation itself using darkFunction.
Someone earlier in this thread did the same thing with getting Richter to jumpkick, you can read that if you need help with it.
I'm not sure what you mean with "the pointers can't be changed". Editing pointers should not be necessary when editing sprites.

Thanks a lot. I'll check the darkFunction program and get used to it first

EDIT: Successfully edited the air dive kick animation... No matter I fixed leg retreat problem or not, the original hitbox rendition of Richter air dive kick just sucks. But having a cool air dive kick move is still better than nothing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:58:26 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2018, 04:25:30 pm »
Aceearly1993

i made a straight jump kick animation for richter, it should be around the part where lunatic helped me with the same problem.
I also uploaded it, so use it if you want to.
Btw it is Richter's jumpkick from harmony of despair.

AlterL

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2018, 06:11:08 am »
For software, no$gba debugger version allows you to view and modify the game's code while it's running: https://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm
Once you've figured out what changes to make, ARMIPS allows you to write an ASM patch to apply it to the game's files more permanently than no$gba allows: https://github.com/Kingcom/armips

I can't tell you the pointers because I don't know where the exact code is either. That's the work that needs to be done - finding what to modify and then modifying it. If I knew the pointers then half the work would be done already.
Actually, I don't even know what the list of voices missing from the US version of DoS is, so I wouldn't know where to look for them anyway.

If you're new to rom hacking you're probably going to find this very difficult as a first project. ASM is complicated to read and edit compared to regular programming languages, even if you're only making a single simple change. Getting all the voices to play properly would probably require making dozens of more complicated changes.

I can't help you with anything specific since I've never added missing voices into these games either. Only thing I can tell you are that some things that might be useful for you are in my docs: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/tree/master/docs

Hey Lago Lunatic nice to meet you, I downloaded your editor and have been having fun with it ever since with Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (thanks to you I was finally able to give Shanoa her black hair in her sprites) but one thing I haven't been able to archive is to make a whip glyph, I tried taking the sprites from Portrait but while the animation seems go just fine the texture itself doesn't seem to change, could you gide me in order to compleate this mod please???

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2018, 08:12:02 pm »
Aceearly1993

i made a straight jump kick animation for richter, it should be around the part where lunatic helped me with the same problem.
I also uploaded it, so use it if you want to.
Btw it is Richter's jumpkick from harmony of despair.

Thanks a lot, is the straight jump kick sprite ripped directly from Harmony of Despair game file? Looks naturally without problem when I mixed your animation properties file into the PoR game.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 07, 2018, 08:24:19 pm »
Hey Lago Lunatic nice to meet you, I downloaded your editor and have been having fun with it ever since with Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (thanks to you I was finally able to give Shanoa her black hair in her sprites) but one thing I haven't been able to archive is to make a whip glyph, I tried taking the sprites from Portrait but while the animation seems go just fine the texture itself doesn't seem to change, could you gide me in order to compleate this mod please???

If you're talking about the whip dangling around I can't help you. That's not an animation but has special engine code to handle it, which was probably removed in OoE.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:51 am »
Thanks a lot, is the straight jump kick sprite ripped directly from Harmony of Despair game file? Looks naturally without problem when I mixed your animation properties file into the PoR game.

no it isn't, i tried to find a rip of it to insert it but i wasnt able to, all i did was taking an unclear picture of it and try to recreate it as accurate as possible.
But thanks, it flatters me that you think it's straight from harnony of despair.

RobertGray

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2018, 09:59:10 pm »
Hello there, everyone.

Boy, this site sure has been useful to me in finding cool ROM hacks. The DSvania Editor is a truly awesome tool. I was able to make some hacks for POR and OOE. However, all I have done is to add more enemies, and more abilities for player characters using the Player Editor. What I really want to do now is to edit backgrounds. I have tried adding the tall trees from Ruvas Forest into the Castle Entrance hall. Since the background behind the windows shows only a boring gray sky, I thought I would spruce it up by adding a forest background to it. However, when I attempt to use both Tiled and the editor for it the trees always turn into jumbled copies of the hallway sprites.

Please excuse my complete noobness. I really would love to make the castle look more interesting in the game and to add a couple more forests into the game (I just love forest stages). I just have no idea how to add things to the background (like the example above). Please forgive me if this question has already been answered and if I am being inconvenient at all. I would appreciate it if anyone could please give me some clear instructions in what to do or to know what exactly am I doing wrong. Also, I am really not well-versed in coding language at all, so please excuse my ignorance. The only reason I was able to get as far as I did with the Editor is because of a simple drag and drop.

That's awesome that you were able to give Shanoa her black hair. I tried to do the same, but failed. Also, a whip glyph sounds awesome. Iga should have given her one in the game.

Also, I would love to know how to import and export both monsters and background sprites between each DSvania (like putting Slogra in OOE, and the library from OOE into POR). Is there a place where these instructions are at, so I can go there and read them?

Again, please forgive any inconvenience that my requests and ignorance may cause. If it is of no inconvenience to you, then I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »
Importing/Exporting graphics is done with the GFX editor and you can view the pointers in the Tileset editor. I am not using the editor so please don't hang me if you forget to mention something.

Also we did open a Castlevania Rom Center discord. It is not very populated but I think it could be a good place to ask questions and get involved.
https://discord.gg/eXDzAyg

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2018, 01:04:37 pm »
Boy, this site sure has been useful to me in finding cool ROM hacks. The DSvania Editor is a truly awesome tool. I was able to make some hacks for POR and OOE.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

However, all I have done is to add more enemies, and more abilities for player characters using the Player Editor. What I really want to do now is to edit backgrounds. I have tried adding the tall trees from Ruvas Forest into the Castle Entrance hall. Since the background behind the windows shows only a boring gray sky, I thought I would spruce it up by adding a forest background to it. However, when I attempt to use both Tiled and the editor for it the trees always turn into jumbled copies of the hallway sprites.

Please excuse my complete noobness. I really would love to make the castle look more interesting in the game and to add a couple more forests into the game (I just love forest stages). I just have no idea how to add things to the background (like the example above). Please forgive me if this question has already been answered and if I am being inconvenient at all. I would appreciate it if anyone could please give me some clear instructions in what to do or to know what exactly am I doing wrong. Also, I am really not well-versed in coding language at all, so please excuse my ignorance. The only reason I was able to get as far as I did with the Editor is because of a simple drag and drop.

You can only use tilesets from the sector you're in - each sector loads in all the tilesets it will need when you enter it, so using tilesets from a different sector is impossible since they're not loaded anywhere. Tiled doesn't know about this technical limitation of the DSVania game engine so it lets you use as many tilesets as you want, but when you import there's no way for DSVEdit to handle the other tilesets so it corrupts the room's tiles.

You would need to replace some part of the Entrance tileset GFX with the trees from Ruvas, then you can add them in.

Also, I would love to know how to import and export both monsters and background sprites between each DSvania (like putting Slogra in OOE, and the library from OOE into POR). Is there a place where these instructions are at, so I can go there and read them?

You can export and import GFX with the GFX editor, as bogaabogaa mentioned. You can look in the readme for the section called "How to edit GFX and palettes" for more information.
It should also be possible to export and import sprites across games, though I've never tried it myself. The "How to edit sprites" section of the readme explains how to export and import them.
But note that in both cases, you can't add new GFX/sprites. So you'll simply be replacing existing backgrounds/monster sprites with ones from a different game.

But when you say "export monsters" - you can't export their AI between different games. That would be extremely complicated. It's theoretically possible, but no one has managed it yet as far as I'm aware. So if you wanted Slogra in OoE, you could make something like say a Merman look like Slogra, but it would still act like a Merman.

RobertGray

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2018, 02:03:26 pm »

You can only use tilesets from the sector you're in - each sector loads in all the tilesets it will need when you enter it, so using tilesets from a different sector is impossible since they're not loaded anywhere. Tiled doesn't know about this technical limitation of the DSVania game engine so it lets you use as many tilesets as you want, but when you import there's no way for DSVEdit to handle the other tilesets so it corrupts the room's tiles.

You would need to replace some part of the Entrance tileset GFX with the trees from Ruvas, then you can add them in.

I understand. I am trying to replace the Castle Entrance's gray sky with the Ruvas Forest's background forest and purple sky, but I have the barest minimum of an idea on how to do it. Experiments seem to prove it wrong.

You can export and import GFX with the GFX editor, as bogaabogaa mentioned. You can look in the readme for the section called "How to edit GFX and palettes" for more information.
It should also be possible to export and import sprites across games, though I've never tried it myself. The "How to edit sprites" section of the readme explains how to export and import them.
But note that in both cases, you can't add new GFX/sprites. So you'll simply be replacing existing backgrounds/monster sprites with ones from a different game.

I tried it before, but I could not get it to work. Then again I was extremely tired. I will try it again now that I am better.

But when you say "export monsters" - you can't export their AI between different games. That would be extremely complicated. It's theoretically possible, but no one has managed it yet as far as I'm aware. So if you wanted Slogra in OoE, you could make something like say a Merman look like Slogra, but it would still act like a Merman.

I understand.

Also, the idea of a Slogra behaving like a Merman sounds amusing. :D

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2018, 06:38:52 am »
Hey lunatic,i noticed a pretty bad mistake in por from the developers and wanted to ask if that can be fixed.
If you use charlotte's INT boost it will boost your intelligence and your subweapons will deal more damage of course, however her STR boost actually only boosts your attack power but not the strengh.
I used it to pull out 60 damage more from jonathans/richters kick but for some reason the strengh boost isn't added to the martial arts :huh:.
any way to fix that with a patch?
And there is another question, if i edit the characters starting stats does it affect their status growth during level ups, or are those literally just their lv.1 stats?

EDIT:By the way, super useful RAM maps, thanks for those :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:44:31 am by MaverickZero »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:43 am »
Hey lunatic,i noticed a pretty bad mistake in por from the developers and wanted to ask if that can be fixed.
If you use charlotte's INT boost it will boost your intelligence and your subweapons will deal more damage of course, however her STR boost actually only boosts your attack power but not the strengh.
I used it to pull out 60 damage more from jonathans/richters kick but for some reason the strengh boost isn't added to the martial arts :huh:.
any way to fix that with a patch?

What seems to be happening is that bonus stats like the strength added by STR boost are added separately every frame.
So at the beginning of every frame your strength is reset to its normal value, then bonus STR is added in, then if you're attacking it calculates your damage.

But martial art is different - it calculates its damage after your strength is reset to the normal value, but before bonus strength is added in. So it ignores bonus strength.

I don't know why they made martial art calculate its damage differently than other attacks, but changing the order things are calculated at to be more consistent is probably not possible.

But it's easy to manually take bonus STR and add it to the normal STR value for the purpose of calculating martial art damage, so I made a patch that does that: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/por_fix_martial_art_bonus_str.asm

And there is another question, if i edit the characters starting stats does it affect their status growth during level ups, or are those literally just their lv.1 stats?

EDIT:By the way, super useful RAM maps, thanks for those :thumbsup:

Yes those are just the stats they start the game with. Their stat growth from level ups is hardcoded into a level up function somewhere.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:59 am »
awesome!
thanks for the patch, and also thanks for the explanation i would've messed with the stats hoping to balance out gameplay XD

btw i found all of the harmkny of despair sprites and alternate palettes, i will bring them into dsvania format and upload them soon.
I also have now Richter's legitemate jumpkick and will upload that one just in case someone wants to mess with the characters palettes/sprites.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:26:26 am by MaverickZero »

pirate_sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2018, 11:46:04 am »
hello, it's me again.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ix6kfl2f5pp8541/dulahan_HoD.rar

This is Dulahan from Castlevania Harmony of Despair(same one as PoR), the thing that interest me most is the .jnt2 file it has.
I'm wondering if it's possible to convert it for OoE since it has a similar file and also for other enemies like it.

I compared j_guru00 from OoE and HD. Both files are clearly the same, only many values are byteswapped.

What seems to be happening is that bonus stats like the strength added by STR boost are added separately every frame.
So at the beginning of every frame your strength is reset to its normal value, then bonus STR is added in, then if you're attacking it calculates your damage.

But martial art is different - it calculates its damage after your strength is reset to the normal value, but before bonus strength is added in. So it ignores bonus strength.

I don't know why they made martial art calculate its damage differently than other attacks, but changing the order things are calculated at to be more consistent is probably not possible.

But it's easy to manually take bonus STR and add it to the normal STR value for the purpose of calculating martial art damage, so I made a patch that does that: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/master/asm/por_fix_martial_art_bonus_str.asm

Yes those are just the stats they start the game with. Their stat growth from level ups is hardcoded into a level up function somewhere.

There's some pretty good information there in your github docs. Could you add formulas for general damage calculation and item/soul/glyph dropping as well?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2018, 12:24:49 pm »
There's some pretty good information there in your github docs. Could you add formulas for general damage calculation and item/soul/glyph dropping as well?

I have those all documented.
Item/soul drop chances in DoS: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/6474affb360a249f36881e88b7b326fc908f6762/docs/formats/DoS%20Enemy%20DNA%20Format.txt#L13-L44
Soul damage calculation in DoS: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/6474affb360a249f36881e88b7b326fc908f6762/docs/asm/DoS%20Functions.txt#L702-L708
The PoR and OoE ones are in similar locations.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 18, 2018, 06:19:06 pm »
well, i have said i will upload soon the castlevania hd sprites and palettes of the characters, but now i think it won't be so soon.
It costs really a lot of time to bring them into DSVania format, so it'll need some time.
However, Vanya i remember that you wanted to make a Castlevania 1 hack for por, so do you want the 8-bit simon sprites?
he got extra moves like a jumpkick or a slide.

pirate_sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »
I have those all documented.
Item/soul drop chances in DoS: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/6474affb360a249f36881e88b7b326fc908f6762/docs/formats/DoS%20Enemy%20DNA%20Format.txt#L13-L44
Soul damage calculation in DoS: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/blob/6474affb360a249f36881e88b7b326fc908f6762/docs/asm/DoS%20Functions.txt#L702-L708
The PoR and OoE ones are in similar locations.
Nice. I spent some time reading all those files.
I ses there are damage calculation formulas for souls in DoS, skills in PoR and Glyphs in OoE. The comments never specify weapon damage so I suppose normal attacks use a different forumla. (OoE is kinda confusing though... a comment mentions 'weapon' but isn't everything a glyph there?).

Also could you add the level up stat calculation formulas as well? I saw you already list the base stats for player characters on the RAM map.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:33 pm »
Nice. I spent some time reading all those files.
I ses there are damage calculation formulas for souls in DoS, skills in PoR and Glyphs in OoE. The comments never specify weapon damage so I suppose normal attacks use a different forumla. (OoE is kinda confusing though... a comment mentions 'weapon' but isn't everything a glyph there?).

For regular weapons, the ATK value displayed in game is the base damage that you deal.
Enemy weaknesses/resistances affect the final damage done, the exact multipliers are in the Enemy DNA Format files.
Enemy defense/magical defense I don't know the specific formulas.

The comment for CalcDamageToEnemy mentioning weapons was just because I copy pasted it from DoS or PoR, I'll remove the word "weapon" from OoE's now.

Also could you add the level up stat calculation formulas as well? I saw you already list the base stats for player characters on the RAM map.

Probably not going to do that. Those functions are a pain to read through, with all kinds of weird conditions to give different stats. I don't know the exact numbers but it would sound similar to this: "if you just reached a level that is a multiple of 16 but not a multiple of 3, give +2 STR, otherwise give +1 STR".