News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)  (Read 106159 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.7.2)
« Reply #340 on: March 30, 2018, 01:23:47 pm »
in Aria of Sorrow I can't edit the tileset (crashes when clicking OK or Apply)

Works fine for me. Are you using an old version? That previously was a bug that was fixed a couple months ago.

and can't import the GFX of a tileset in the GFX Editor (didn't try exporting and importing without editing the GFX file)

What do you mean by "can't"? What error message do you get?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:34 pm »
Works fine for me. Are you using an old version? That previously was a bug that was fixed a couple months ago.

What do you mean by "can't"? What error message do you get?
Happens on 1.7.2 as well. It hangs the program until Windows is sure it is deader than dead. No error code nor anything.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:30 pm »
Happens on 1.7.2 as well. It hangs the program until Windows is sure it is deader than dead. No error code nor anything.

You're gonna need to give me some information so I can reproduce the crash. What room are you editing the tileset for? What changes did you make to this tileset?

And what is the issue with the GFX editor you mentioned in your last post?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 30, 2018, 04:03:45 pm »
You're gonna need to give me some information so I can reproduce the crash. What room are you editing the tileset for? What changes did you make to this tileset?

And what is the issue with the GFX editor you mentioned in your last post?
Area 00 (Dracula's Castle)
Sector 01 (Chapel)
Room 04 (08511C54)
Wanted to remove the wild pixel in the blocks on top and bottom (which were supposed to be dark)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 30, 2018, 04:23:32 pm »
Area 00 (Dracula's Castle)
Sector 01 (Chapel)
Room 04 (08511C54)
Wanted to remove the wild pixel in the blocks on top and bottom (which were supposed to be dark)

Oh I think I get it. It didn't actually crash, it's just taking a long time to save the tileset because DSVEdit needs to recompress all the data before saving it, which is pretty slow. Come to think of it, it does look kind of misleading since I never added a progress dialog for it or anything, but it should be working. Just wait a minute or two.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2018, 04:31:21 pm »
Oh, so not an actual hang just a "This is going to take long" thing?

Anyhow, onto the other matter... Is it possible to implement a visual aid to positioning weapon/skill animations (such as Soma's attack frames translucent behind the weapon) and a zoom slider for those who want to be more precise in selecting the sprite, adjusting the hitbox and positions?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2018, 04:37:30 pm »
Anyhow, onto the other matter... Is it possible to implement a visual aid to positioning weapon/skill animations (such as Soma's attack frames translucent behind the weapon) and a zoom slider for those who want to be more precise in selecting the sprite, adjusting the hitbox and positions?

DSVEdit's built in sprite editor is really bad. I'm not gonna put any more effort into it, since it's better to just use the darkFunction export/import to edit sprites. darkFunction's UI is much more complete, it has zooming and visual aids for positioning already.
The problem is that my sprite exporter/importer currently doesn't support AoS and HoD, only the DS games. I'll get that working at some point though.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »
darkFunction? What is that?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2018, 06:03:01 pm »
darkFunction? What is that?

It's an external program that can edit sprites. http://www.darkfunction.com/editor/
In DSVEdit's sprite editor you click "export to darkFunction", then edit the sprite in darkFunction, then in DSVEdit's sprite editor you click "import from darkFunction".
Like how Tiled is used for editing rooms.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2018, 04:15:42 am »
Just a quick question, is DSvania going to every get weapons/item icons editing support?

I was browsing through editing existing sprites with the sprite editor and could not find the weapon icons or item icons, namely I really need to edit some of the whip icons to go alongside some new whips I'm adding to the game, as of now I can only just swap existing whip icons but it would be much better if I could edit/add them myself over the existing ones.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
Just a quick question, is DSvania going to every get weapons/item icons editing support?

I was browsing through editing existing sprites with the sprite editor and could not find the weapon icons or item icons, namely I really need to edit some of the whip icons to go alongside some new whips I'm adding to the game, as of now I can only just swap existing whip icons but it would be much better if I could edit/add them myself over the existing ones.

That ability already exists. Icons aren't listed in the sprite editor because they're not sprites, but they still have GFX and palettes you can edit.

Open the item editor and click the "Icon" field for the weapon you want to edit. Then in that popup you can see the "File" and "Palette ptr" fields. Copy paste those fields into the GFX editor. Then you can export that page of icons as a png, edit it, and import as normal.
You can even add a new icon if you want instead of replacing one, just find a blank square on the grid of icons and put your new icon there. Then back in the item editor remember to set that new icon as the icon for the weapon.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 18, 2018, 03:19:28 pm »
hey people it's me again, i had a little break from my hack but now i'm at full motivation on it again.
And this time i want to change richter's english voice into the one he has in dracula x chronicles.
I have his voice clips and i was using tinke but then things started to go wrong somehow,
i imported them and as i wanted to save it, the program gave an error message, and since then i'm unable to open the sdat file:/.
I deinstalled the program and reinstalled, but still the same results,it won't open the sdat anymore, i also tried a vanilla sdat file, it wouldn't open any anymore.
So my question is if anyone knows another program to edit sdat files to import wav files or if someone has a clue what to do  :huh:.
thanks in advance :)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2018, 03:52:20 pm »
I have a question on the Fixed Luck hack from Dawn of Sorrow. Whenever I equip the Ghost Dancers Soul, the counter for Luck doesn't seem to increase, yet, as long as I hover the cursor over the Soul, it shows that Luck will increase when you equip it (even when it's already equipped, my Luck stays on 27 and it says it will increase to 41 once you equip it). I added a link to a video showing the issue:
https://youtu.be/82T0K5NdDbM

I was suspecting this is a bug in your hack, so I decided to ask for information on this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:58:48 pm by Thirteen 1355 »
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »
I have a question on the Fixed Luck hack from Dawn of Sorrow. Whenever I equip the Ghost Dancers Soul, the counter for Luck doesn't seem to increase, yet, as long as I hover the cursor over the Soul, it shows that Luck will increase when you equip it (even when it's already equipped, my Luck stays on 27 and it says it will increase to 41 once you equip it).

I was suspecting this is a bug in your hack, so I decided to ask for information on this.

That's not related to my hack, it works that way in the vanilla game.
The stats on the lower screen only show Soma's natural stats + his item stats, without bonus stats added in. But if you look at the top screen you should see "LCK 27 +14", which indicates that you are getting a 14 LCK bonus from ghost dancer. This applies to all bonus stats, not just LCK.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2018, 06:38:32 am »
Ah, thanks for the info.
Just nearly 100%ed this game (100% map, 100% souls except Hell fire, all final forms of all weapon types). I decided to add in Soul Vessels (like the Doppleganger one in the Garden) for the three bosses whose Souls you have to sacrifice in order to synthesize certain weapons (Gergoth, Death and Abaddon). I noticed that if you already have the souls, the Vessels won't appear, until you lose the souls by using them for synthesis, so I placed them before the boss chambers.

My question is, will obtaining the Boss Souls from these Vessels before fighting the respective bosses prevent the bosses from dropping their Souls?

Another question I have is, I want to make the Alucard Sword an obtainable item. I was wondering about the pickup 'flags'. Does every item have its own unique flag? What flag should I give a newly placed pickup?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2018, 02:39:34 pm »
Ah, thanks for the info.
Just nearly 100%ed this game (100% map, 100% souls except Hell fire, all final forms of all weapon types). I decided to add in Soul Vessels (like the Doppleganger one in the Garden) for the three bosses whose Souls you have to sacrifice in order to synthesize certain weapons (Gergoth, Death and Abaddon). I noticed that if you already have the souls, the Vessels won't appear, until you lose the souls by using them for synthesis, so I placed them before the boss chambers.

My question is, will obtaining the Boss Souls from these Vessels before fighting the respective bosses prevent the bosses from dropping their Souls?

Nope, the disappearing early thing is specific to soul candles. Unlike most items soul candles don't have pickup flags to keep track of whether you got them or not, so they just check if you own the soul inside them or not.
Bosses on the other hand always drop their soul when killed, and the boss itself doesn't disappear until its boss death flag is set.

Another question I have is, I want to make the Alucard Sword an obtainable item. I was wondering about the pickup 'flags'. Does every item have its own unique flag? What flag should I give a newly placed pickup?

The pickup flags need to be unique throughout the whole game. If you give two pickups the same flag, then picking up one will make the other disappear too.
Fun fact: The developers actually made this mistake in PoR. They gave two MP max ups the same pickup flag, so it's actually impossible to get all MP max ups in one playthrough. They did the same for a potion + an antivenom, though those are less important than MP max ups.

For what flag you should give the pickup, flags 00-7F are valid in DoS, but most of those are used. Flags 7A through 7F I'm pretty confident aren't used anywhere.
There are a few more besides those that aren't used anywhere I know about, but because their numbers aren't at the end they seem like they may be used somewhere (or were used at one point in development at least): 01, 09, 14, 1B, 1C, 1D, 24, 4E, 52

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! I should have known about the flags being unique (have messed around with them in other games). With all this info, putting in the Alucard Sword (and maybe Hellfire too, since I never liked playing the game all over again for three boss Souls/one final Soul) should be a piece of cake.

I'm hoping to do some more significant edits in the future. Might also take a look at Ecclesia, love that game.

randomperson35

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2018, 09:37:56 pm »
hello, it's me again.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ix6kfl2f5pp8541/dulahan_HoD.rar

This is Dulahan from Castlevania Harmony of Despair(same one as PoR), the thing that interest me most is the .jnt2 file it has.
I'm wondering if it's possible to convert it for OoE since it has a similar file and also for other enemies like it.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2018, 12:38:44 am »
Hi,
I went into troubles trying to restore Richter's double jump → air dive kick motion, the animation works but the weird thing is that Richter's leg didn't always extend to full length, like in Harmony of Despair, the leg will retreat after falling from a fixed height. I don't know if it's because the air dive kick itself is not polished enough, or if it's other reason behind this. I want both the two frames point to air dive kick graphic, but I checked the editor and it seems the pointers can't be changed. 
And thanks for your great work. A great addition and awesome tool to better explore the secrets in the DS Castlevania series.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:31 pm »
hello, it's me again.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ix6kfl2f5pp8541/dulahan_HoD.rar

This is Dulahan from Castlevania Harmony of Despair(same one as PoR), the thing that interest me most is the .jnt2 file it has.
I'm wondering if it's possible to convert it for OoE since it has a similar file and also for other enemies like it.

The format definitely does look similar to OoE's. Judging by the name .jnt2 instead of .jnt I assume it's slightly different in some way. It might be possible to convert files like that to OoE's format somehow. I'm too busy to look into that but if you figure it out I would be interested in hearing how you did it.

Hi,
I went into troubles trying to restore Richter's double jump → air dive kick motion, the animation works but the weird thing is that Richter's leg didn't always extend to full length, like in Harmony of Despair, the leg will retreat after falling from a fixed height. I don't know if it's because the air dive kick itself is not polished enough, or if it's other reason behind this. I want both the two frames point to air dive kick graphic, but I checked the editor and it seems the pointers can't be changed. 
And thanks for your great work. A great addition and awesome tool to better explore the secrets in the DS Castlevania series.

You need to fix the jumpkick animation itself using darkFunction.
Someone earlier in this thread did the same thing with getting Richter to jumpkick, you can read that if you need help with it.
I'm not sure what you mean with "the pointers can't be changed". Editing pointers should not be necessary when editing sprites.