News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)  (Read 104610 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.7.2)
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2018, 12:02:47 am »
Sick! Now I can get down to business! :D

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2018, 06:26:07 am »
LagoLunatic, is it possible to do some hack for DoS involving soul levels? That is, on the soul selection screen, you can change the levels of the souls. Ex. If i have 7 Persephone souls i can increase/decrease the soul's level between 1-7 anytime without having to use Yoko's soul release system? Thanks.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:53 am »
LagoLunatic, is it possible to do some hack for DoS involving soul levels? That is, on the soul selection screen, you can change the levels of the souls. Ex. If i have 7 Persephone souls i can increase/decrease the soul's level between 1-7 anytime without having to use Yoko's soul release system? Thanks.

You mean, add a new UI menu to let you change the number of souls you own on the fly? Sorry but I don't know how to hack the menus in these games. I've looked into it a few times and it's pretty complicated. I might be able to make very minor tweaks to existing menus but not add whole new ones.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2018, 02:55:45 am »
@Lagolunatic hey I have a quick question, me and my friend have been trying to build a new story for Dawn of Sorrow that requires the removal or replacement of the event where Arikado gives you Mina's Talisman and instead have it handed to your during the prologue of the game in the city, is there a way we can possibly do that using the tool?
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:09 am »
@Lagolunatic hey I have a quick question, me and my friend have been trying to build a new story for Dawn of Sorrow that requires the removal or replacement of the event where Arikado gives you Mina's Talisman and instead have it handed to your during the prologue of the game in the city, is there a way we can possibly do that using the tool?

You can remove the event where he gives you the talisman - simply delete the event entity in that room.

But modifying the prologue event can't be done with DSVEdit. What events do is determined by their code, so you'd need to modify the ASM code of that event's update function to change that. The best you could do with DSVEdit would be to place the talisman on the floor of the prologue room so the player spawns on top of it when the event starts.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:55 am »
If I wanted to add new items and equipment to PoR, would I need to relocate the existing lists of items and their properties to the expanded space?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:14 am »
If I wanted to add new items and equipment to PoR, would I need to relocate the existing lists of items and their properties to the expanded space?

Yes, you would need to at least relocate the relevant item lists, the entire text list (because you need to add a name and description), and the list of which items the player currently owns in the save file.

But the hard part isn't relocating those lists, it's that you'd need to modify all the code in the game that references item IDs, text IDs, item list pointers, the text list pointer, etc. A few examples:
* There are several functions that take an item ID and return the item type that item belongs to or something similar. You have to find all these functions and modify the ID comparisons in there to still be accurate after you've shifted every item ID down.
* Every item with a hardcoded effect (e.g. magus ring, sorceress's crest) has a hardcoded check somewhere in the code to see if you have that item ID equipped. You have to modify the ID for each item if you shifted it down the list.
* Everything in the game that uses text references the text by its text ID. So if you add a new name and description and shift everything down, you would need to modify every function in the game that uses text - even something as simple as a colon on the pause screen has a text ID that would need to be updated (0x516). Or an alternate way would be to relocate the text IDs of the entire item name and description list to the end of the text list, so the first item name ID is 0x749 instead of 0x00C. That way you'd only need to update all the code that references item name/descriptions, instead of all text.

Overall I'd assume you would need to find like 50-100 different pieces of code and modify them. It would be extremely time consuming to find all the code since you can't just set a simple breakpoint for most of it, but once it's all found it would be possible to automate relocating the lists and modifying the code at least.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:59:34 am by LagoLunatic »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2018, 12:20:41 pm »
Wow, this has come a long way since the last time I lurked here :O
I'm glad to see things are going great and that now Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance are also supported in the newest versions of DSVania :D

Btw, DSVania is now somewhat short of what this amazing app does now :P
Have you thought about rebranding it? Not that I'm complaining about the name, I like it, I'm just curious if it has crossed your mind :P

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2018, 06:17:42 pm »
Wow, this has come a long way since the last time I lurked here :O
I'm glad to see things are going great and that now Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance are also supported in the newest versions of DSVania :D

Btw, DSVania is now somewhat short of what this amazing app does now :P
Have you thought about rebranding it? Not that I'm complaining about the name, I like it, I'm just curious if it has crossed your mind :P

Yeah, I did think about that, but I don't know what else I would call it.
"HandheldVania Editor" wouldn't be accurate since there are handheld castlevania games not supported by it, and it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
I don't think there's any way to cleverly work all 5 game names into a single name, or their abbreviations (HoD AoS DoS PoR OoE put in an anagram solver is... DROPHEADS or RHAPSODES, and they don't even use all the letters).

But mostly I'm just used to this name now after the time I've spent working on it and I assume other people are used to it too, so I figure I'll just leave well enough alone.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2018, 12:51:38 am »
That's pretty much what I thought.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2018, 04:59:52 am »
My thoughts on the issue are that perhaps renaming the editor with some sort of musical term could be appropriate to Castlevania, but not sure...
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2018, 05:21:23 am »
"LAGOSvania Editor" (read Lago's vania editor)
or LAGOSVeditor

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »
I have been messing around with the editor and it is awesome.

I do have a suggestion, Unless I missed the option. I think it would be cool to implement a start-up editor in the games. The ability to edit the New Game Stats you start with.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:28 pm »
That is a good idea.
Maybe the ability to edit starting equipment, too if that isn't already there as well.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2018, 07:19:25 pm »
I have been messing around with the editor and it is awesome.

I do have a suggestion, Unless I missed the option. I think it would be cool to implement a start-up editor in the games. The ability to edit the New Game Stats you start with.

That's a good idea. Should be pretty straightforward since I found the base stats for several of the games already.

That is a good idea.
Maybe the ability to edit starting equipment, too if that isn't already there as well.

The items you start with are hardcoded by a function so there would be limitations to this. Changing just the item IDs is doable but not increasing/decreasing the number of different items you start with. And because those item IDs are hardcoded, there's limits to what the IDs can be - IDs 0-0xFF work, but from 0x100+ only IDs that are a multiple of 4 would work.
To get around those someone would need to manually modify the ASM to do exactly what they want. For my randomizer I just opted to physically put items in the starting room on top of the player since it's easier to automate.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2018, 06:01:57 am »
Does putting those items in the starting room trigger the any messages about acquiring the items?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2018, 12:37:54 pm »
Does putting those items in the starting room trigger the any messages about acquiring the items?

Yes it does. And they don't equip automatically. And soul candles/glyphs don't get picked up automatically so the player still needs to manually get those.
Works for a randomizer but it's not exactly the most elegant solution if your hack has a story and you want it to look like the player had the items beforehand.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:28 pm »
hey lunatic, i'm back again with some new ideas wich need some help again.
First, about richter's quick weapon slots, i added a javelin and have put back the grand cross but as i wanted to export the sprite file, it said that this is hard coded...
any way to add new parts for those two skills?
and about the animation where the animation editor crashes on richter (i have 1.7.2 now, it doesn't crash anymore, thanks)
it is actually being hit from the front.
it automatically takes only the first frame from richter being hit from behind, but it isn't playing the full animation, but i want it to fully play it out for the dracula x chronicles aesthetics.
can i remove the programming of that somehow?
and now a really big thing...
some animations are being taken for more moves at once for some reason wich is kinda bad, because for examle, when i want richter to bounce off an enemy from a slidejump with a backflip, it also turns the double jump into the backflip.
this was also the case as i wanted to edit some moves, from jonathan for richter.
any way to separate the animations?  :huh:
Thanks in advance :)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »
hey lunatic, i'm back again with some new ideas wich need some help again.
First, about richter's quick weapon slots, i added a javelin and have put back the grand cross but as i wanted to export the sprite file, it said that this is hard coded...
any way to add new parts for those two skills?

The javelin and grand cross sprites are not hardcoded. I can export them. I have no idea why it would tell you they're hardcoded, maybe just try it again?

and about the animation where the animation editor crashes on richter (i have 1.7.2 now, it doesn't crash anymore, thanks)
it is actually being hit from the front.
it automatically takes only the first frame from richter being hit from behind, but it isn't playing the full animation, but i want it to fully play it out for the dracula x chronicles aesthetics.
can i remove the programming of that somehow?

When I give Richter an animation for the "Taking damage in air from the front" and "Taking damage in air from behind" states he correctly plays the animation I gave him. It doesn't freeze on the first frame for me.

and now a really big thing...
some animations are being taken for more moves at once for some reason wich is kinda bad, because for examle, when i want richter to bounce off an enemy from a slidejump with a backflip, it also turns the double jump into the backflip.
this was also the case as i wanted to edit some moves, from jonathan for richter.
any way to separate the animations?  :huh:
Thanks in advance :)

022062E4 is the code that changes the animation state to D when double jumping.
02203100 is the one that also sets it to D, but for bouncing after a slidejump instead. So if you change this to some other animation state it will play that animation instead of the double jump one.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2018, 06:26:20 pm »
again a misunderstanding here, oh dear i really have to learn to express myself better...
first thanks with the last thing, i'll try it soon.
and now, i'm not talking about the sub weapon sprite files, i mean only the subweapon icons, wich are shown on the top left, i added a mini javelin and the grand cross, but the sprite file of the subweapon icons is hardcoded, where also the STAY and MASTER icons are located.
and the being hit thing.
the animation works perfectly in the air, yes.
but what i mean is while standing, being hit from the front.
and it's not really like a freeze of a frame, it's like only the first one is showed, it's hard to explain :-\...
and this is also the case when being hot from the front while crouching.
thanks again for the help :)