News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.0)  (Read 63892 times)

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2017, 04:01:05 am »
I have another question regarding Aria of Sorrow, one thing I noticed is that it does not list the name of the gfx file path within the Tileset Editor so I have no way of viewing and editing the palettes of the stages within Aria of Sorrow since I can not provide the GFX exact path like I can with the DSvania games, is this currently reserved for a update or is there a way to actually view and edit the palettes for the stage backgrounds in Aria?
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »
I have another question regarding Aria of Sorrow, one thing I noticed is that it does not list the name of the gfx file path within the Tileset Editor so I have no way of viewing and editing the palettes of the stages within Aria of Sorrow since I can not provide the GFX exact path like I can with the DSvania games, is this currently reserved for a update or is there a way to actually view and edit the palettes for the stage backgrounds in Aria?

I hadn't gotten those displaying correctly until now since they're much more complicated in AoS than the DS games, where each room GFX page can map to different chunks from different GFX files. There can also be multiple palette lists and the palette indexes currently displayed in the tileset editor can be incorrect.

Now I think I've gotten those all to display, so it will be in the next update.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2017, 12:26:21 am »
I have a semi-silly question that I probably already know the answer to, but is there any way in PoR to implement anything even remotely similar to the classic stairs without having to just straight up create new objects from scratch?
I'm guessing probably not.

Second question, any ideas on what might be the best way to create stairs?
Making it in the same way as in the classic games could be the simplest way.
It would require 4 stairs objects and at least one free RAM for an "on stairs" flag.
Hopefully the collision code would play nice and cause problems when walking up through solid platforms.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:40 am »
Hello lunatic, you remember the dxc Richter sprites i told you about?
Well, he has longer arms meaning that i had to adjust the vampire killer's whip animations for him.
The whipping animation looks perfect now except for that blue laser, it seems to have it's own pointing, do i have to live with it or can i point it somehow to the new point of the whip's tip without a lot of coding?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2017, 07:09:14 pm »
I have a semi-silly question that I probably already know the answer to, but is there any way in PoR to implement anything even remotely similar to the classic stairs without having to just straight up create new objects from scratch?
I'm guessing probably not.

Second question, any ideas on what might be the best way to create stairs?
Making it in the same way as in the classic games could be the simplest way.
It would require 4 stairs objects and at least one free RAM for an "on stairs" flag.
Hopefully the collision code would play nice and cause problems when walking up through solid platforms.

I'm not entirely sure how you could code that properly, but you may need to create a new player state bit (in the player entity's bitfield of player states) and write player code to handle the new state (so the player doesn't fall through the stairs, and so they use the right animation). The stairs object would keep this bit set as long as you're climbing the stairs.
I haven't figured out much player code so far since it's very long and complex, so I'm not sure specifically how you would need to modify that.

Actually, I just remembered that's there's also SetEntityCollision. This is what moving platforms and enemies like Catoblepas use so the player can stand on them. But you can't rotate the hitbox to get a sloped entity.
But maybe you could create an invisible platform with SetEntityCollision that is always underneath the player X-wise, but moves up and down along the path you want the stairs to take so that as the player walks left/right the platform moves them up/down. This would probably be much easier than trying to modify player code.

I got the basics of this working:

You activate the stairs by pressing up at the entity (object 08). The stairs automatically turn off if you get off them or if you reach a jumpthrough platform at the top.
This is still very incomplete, as you can't go down at the top of the stairs, the stairs are hardcoded to face left, and holding up doesn't make you walk up the stairs, you need to hold left. But it should be possible to get it working this way.
Here's the code: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVania_C_Hacking/tree/master/por_stairs

Note that you can't walk up through solid platforms, only jumpthrough platforms. To walk through solid ones I figure you'd need to find a way to turn off collision checking for the player while they're on the stairs, but I don't know of a way to do that.

Hello lunatic, you remember the dxc Richter sprites i told you about?
Well, he has longer arms meaning that i had to adjust the vampire killer's whip animations for him.
The whipping animation looks perfect now except for that blue laser, it seems to have it's own pointing, do i have to live with it or can i point it somehow to the new point of the whip's tip without a lot of coding?

I found the function that updates the whip dangling, it's 021DBF9C.
021DBFF0 and 021DBFEC are where it hardcodes the X and Y offset respectively of Richter's hand, in pixels.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »
<Utter Awesomeness>

Holy crap, dude! That's brilliant!
You just saved me a ton of time trying to figure this out. You are a scholar and gentleman. I salute you.

I'm going to take this ans run with it as far as I can.
I don't think I'll bother with trying to get this idea to work with solid blocks.
The pass-through platforms are good enough and I always thought being able to drop down from around stairs made sense since there's literally a huge hole in the floor around them.

To begin with I'm thinking it best to make 3 more variants of this for objects 9, A, and B.
This way I won't have to complicate things with trying to avoid hard-coding.
Object 9 will simply be inverted horizontally so you move up-and-right or down-and-left instead.
Object A will trigger by pressing down instead of up, be inverted vertically so you move down-and-left or up-and-right, and the check for pass-through platforms would be expanded to include solid ground as well so it resets if you reach the ground at the bottom of the stairs.
And finally, object B would combine all the changes from object 9 and object A.

Anyway, thanks again!

Edit: Come to think of it, this might be a much better approach to creating CV stairs in a fan game project, too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:53:43 pm by Vanya »

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that its was possible to add or edit where doors lead to using the tool, my question is how do I go about doing that and if it where possible to add new doors?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:48 am »
Holy crap, dude! That's brilliant!
You just saved me a ton of time trying to figure this out. You are a scholar and gentleman. I salute you.

I'm going to take this ans run with it as far as I can.
I don't think I'll bother with trying to get this idea to work with solid blocks.
The pass-through platforms are good enough and I always thought being able to drop down from around stairs made sense since there's literally a huge hole in the floor around them.

To begin with I'm thinking it best to make 3 more variants of this for objects 9, A, and B.
This way I won't have to complicate things with trying to avoid hard-coding.
Object 9 will simply be inverted horizontally so you move up-and-right or down-and-left instead.
Object A will trigger by pressing down instead of up, be inverted vertically so you move down-and-left or up-and-right, and the check for pass-through platforms would be expanded to include solid ground as well so it resets if you reach the ground at the bottom of the stairs.
And finally, object B would combine all the changes from object 9 and object A.

Anyway, thanks again!

Edit: Come to think of it, this might be a much better approach to creating CV stairs in a fan game project, too.

I'm glad you like it!

I just noticed that I somehow managed to delete some parentheses while committing it (whoops), so if you were wondering why the platform teleports offscreen when you get on it, that's fixed now.

Also, as an alternative to creating multiple objects and duplicating some code you could use var A and B - so var A = 0/1 means the bottom/top part of the stairs, while var B = 0/1 means a left/right facing staircase. But I doubt you'll run out of objects any time soon considering how many unused ones PoR has so either way works.

I thought I read somewhere that its was possible to add or edit where doors lead to using the tool, my question is how do I go about doing that and if it where possible to add new doors?

In the next version of DSVEdit there's going to be a door editor built in, but for the current version you need to go through Tiled.
Select the "Doors" layer in Tiled and click on a door, and you can change the destination room, as well as the dest_x/dest_y to put you in the destination room. To add a new door, right click on an existing door and select "Duplicate object", then edit the new door.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:47 am »

In the next version of DSVEdit there's going to be a door editor built in, but for the current version you need to go through Tiled.
Select the "Doors" layer in Tiled and click on a door, and you can change the destination room, as well as the dest_x/dest_y to put you in the destination room. To add a new door, right click on an existing door and select "Duplicate object", then edit the new door.

Ok I tried and have made my changes but once I'm done adding the new door in Tiled it does not reflect the changes (new door) after I've imported it back into DSvania.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2017, 01:06:53 am »
Ok I tried and have made my changes but once I'm done adding the new door in Tiled it does not reflect the changes (new door) after I've imported it back into DSvania.

Huh, that's weird. Are you sure you saved within Tiled after adding the door?
Also, check to make sure you don't just have two doors right on top of each other at the same position.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2017, 01:19:17 am »
Huh, that's weird. Are you sure you saved within Tiled after adding the door?
Also, check to make sure you don't just have two doors right on top of each other at the same position.

Ok I figured it out, I just had to change the name of the door afterwards to door, before it was still named copy door when I tried to import it so I guess the editor did not register it under the wrong name lol, thanks dude this tool is going to put some of my previous hacks over the top.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:55 am »
Ok I figured it out, I just had to change the name of the door afterwards to door, before it was still named copy door when I tried to import it so I guess the editor did not register it under the wrong name lol, thanks dude this tool is going to put some of my previous hacks over the top.

You're not supposed to duplicate the layer named "Doors" - you just duplicate an individual door (which has no name, it's one of those purple rectangles), and keep all the doors all on the one "Doors" layer. If you duplicate the entire layer and rename it, that doubles the number of doors in the room, which you may not want.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2017, 02:01:12 am »
You're not supposed to duplicate the layer named "Doors" - you just duplicate an individual door (which has no name, it's one of those purple rectangles), and keep all the doors all on the one "Doors" layer. If you duplicate the entire layer and rename it, that doubles the number of doors in the room, which you may not want.

I only duplicated the one door and then changed it destination to where it leads to, and yea I wanted 2 separate doors in 1 room.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
I was thinking about how the stairs will behave if I make them go up through the floor, but then it occurred to me that if I place a ramp on top of the pass-through platform, the player should just be able to walk up to an upper floor as normal without having to worry about adding any transition code or wierd object placements.

ikusatatsu_ushiromiya

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
I had a new hack project with your Editor:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25338.0

I want to make a converse castle in AoS, just like the one in SoTN.
In fact first I want to add this castle to game, but the room can't be added.
So than I only can change the original castle to converse castle.

December 03, 2017, 12:25:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I only duplicated the one door and then changed it destination to where it leads to, and yea I wanted 2 separate doors in 1 room.
Copy a door than remove it, you will find two doors.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:45 pm »
It's been a hot minute since I've been able to mod, but I'm glad to see this project is still going strong! I know what I'll be messing around with this Christmas. Question though, and I apologize if it's already been asked- do you intend to do anything with SotN any time soon? From what I've heard, it's a bit of a complex nut to crack.
I know something of cages.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2017, 04:46:15 am »
Hey lunatic, do you remember me?
I'm still working in the dxc richter and i had to start over again, and now an issue appears that appeared pretty often and i want to know what i'm doing wrong...
However, sometimes when i try to import from darkfunction dsvania say's: Failed to render sprite.
Original image width is too small!
I really don't want to start over again because it starts to driving me into despair, please help me.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
It's been a hot minute since I've been able to mod, but I'm glad to see this project is still going strong! I know what I'll be messing around with this Christmas. Question though, and I apologize if it's already been asked- do you intend to do anything with SotN any time soon? From what I've heard, it's a bit of a complex nut to crack.

I'm somewhat interested in SotN, but it's definitely complex so I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to make an editor for it. I recently read through Nyxojaele's detailed zone documentation, and editing tiles seems pretty easy with all that information.

Entities are a different matter though.
For one, any time you change which entities are in a room, an editor would need to update the room's entity gfx list so the new entities have properly loaded graphics.
This appears to work similarly to how HoD does it, and although it took longer than expected I'm currently almost done getting this working in HoD, so it may be possible to do the same thing for SotN.

The biggest problem would be changing which entities are in each zone. Zones in SotN are their own separate things, each zone file has all the gfx and code for all the entities in that zone. So if you tried to add a skeleton to a zone that didn't originally have any skeletons it wouldn't work. (The DS games have a similar limitation, but only for a few specific objects like events, not every single enemy and object like SotN.)
In order to get around this an editor would need to search through all the other zone files to find the entity you want to add, then copy its gfx and code to the zone file you're adding it to. But while this presumably would work for gfx, copying the code over can't be that easy and it would probably just crash the game. So I imagine this will be very difficult or impossible to do.

Hey lunatic, do you remember me?
I'm still working in the dxc richter and i had to start over again, and now an issue appears that appeared pretty often and i want to know what i'm doing wrong...
However, sometimes when i try to import from darkfunction dsvania say's: Failed to render sprite.
Original image width is too small!
I really don't want to start over again because it starts to driving me into despair, please help me.

I think I have an idea of what happened - you probably put a part over the edge of a gfx page. Even though it shows up as one huge image in darkfunction, the gfx are actually a bunch of 128x128 images. It seems that putting a part over the edge (so it's on top of multiple gfx pages at the same time) causes some errors when I crop the part out for displaying it. I've fixed this for the next version. Also, I'm going to add a border in between each gfx page so it's visually clear that they should be separated and not have parts on top of the borders. Thanks for the report.

As far as not starting over again: Simply use darkfunction to fix whatever part is over the edge.
Then select Richter and "Import from darkFunction" as normal - you might get a couple of different error messages in the process, but you can just click OK on those and then it should import Richter correctly so you won't get the error anymore in the future.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:28 pm »
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not too surprised it's like that though. Thanks for the info! Also, does this mean that you're working on adding a HoD editor (and maybe CotM down the line?) ;)
I know something of cages.

MaverickZero

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
Thanks lunatic, you saved me a LOT of time and about music inserting...
I have a theory there, vgmtrans shows the music data in hex, so if you copy a music track in hex and paste it into the other game you COULD try to re point it.
I would try to do that but i forgot how to re point.
And like i said still just a theory...