Big update as we are ready to go into patch alpha testing.
TLDR; Download alpha IPS patch
. Please post feedback on this thread, msg me, or join discord
chat for fastest responses.
We're now at 100% story strings translated and focusing on editing and testing. That's not to say we won't revisit translations as there are a couple that I'm not so certain about but every string has had at least one translation pass.
Thanks to @ifightdragons we've also had an edit pass on the script to fix grammatical errors, improve flow, and in general fix all the terrible mistakes I made.
I'm sure there will be things that don't make sense and need to change but enough is there to start wider testing.
- 100% of the story and re-inserted text
- All cutscenes
- Title screen
- Battle screen
- Select menu
- Password screen
- Debug menu
- Makitoshi game
- Improve title screen graphics
- Check that all strings fit within the game window
- More editing
- Double check some translations
- Lots of small things
Big thank you for all those offering to help. The best help right now would be to download the alpha1 IPS patch
and play it. If you run into any problems then feel free to msg me, respond on this thread, or join discord
chat for fastest responses. We'll be keeping a tally of current issues on the project document
This project has been a lot of fun and researching this game has been such a good primer on GameBoy hacking that I plan to start a blog series.
Some things that I plan to cover in the series
- Finding text and tiles
- Adding new tiles and updating the script
- Creating a table file, control codes, and extracting the script
- Pointer tables and how to use them
- Using breakpoints
- Things I wish I had known
- ... and a lot more
None of these will be new insights to the community but I hope that it'll be a fun resource that has a central theme and is really approachable by anyone. I've already written a couple of these and could certainly use some editing help if anyone is interested.
Now, let's do some specific responses
- @Viewer - Would love for you to play the patch and work with @fightdragons on any edits.
- @aqualung - I'm open to looking at RPG hen but only if I have someone else to help translate. There is a lot more text and I'll easily burn out if I do it on my own. Luckily that games text is uncompressed and easy to modify.
- @MiYaku - No big translation requests right now but maybe RPG hen in the future?
- @ifightdragons - Keep being awesome.
Apologies if I missed anything or anyone else.