News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.6)  (Read 17602 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
DSVania Editor (v1.6)
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »
Hey everyone. I've been working on hacking the DS Castlevania games for a while, and I just released the first version of my editor for them: DSVania Editor

You can find the latest version here:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/latest
If the program isn't launching for you make sure you have the latest version, and also make sure the path you put the program in doesn't have any unicode characters in it, only normal ASCII characters work.

And here's the source code of the program: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit

If you've got questions or anything, feel free to post them here.

-------------------------------

Changes in v1.6:
  • Aria of Sorrow support is now complete and on par with the DSVanias. Specifically:
  • AoS: The tileset editor now supports AoS.
  • AoS: The GFX editor now supports AoS.
  • AoS: The music editor now supports AoS.
  • AoS: The text editor can now save modified text.
  • AoS: Adding new entities, layers, and doors to a room now works.
  • AoS: 256 color layers are now supported.
  • AoS: Added boss rush.
  • AoS: Added Julius's skills to the item editor.
  • AoS: Some rooms that previously looked buggy now render correctly.
  • Added a room properties editor. This lets you change the tileset used by the room as well as the room's position on the map.
  • Added a shop editor.
  • The sprite editor now supports exporting sprites to an external program called darkFunction Editor and reimporting them. This allows for much easier sprite editing than with the sprite editor itself.
  • Added a warp room editing mode to the map editor. (Only necessary for DoS/AoS - PoR/OoE detect the position of warp rooms automatically based on the map.)
  • Added collision editing support to the tileset editor.
  • Improved the tileset editor's UI so that you can select multiple tiles at once instead of editing tiles one-by-one.
  • The GFX editor now supports working with multiple GFX files at once so you can export and import several at a time instead of one-by-one.
  • The GFX editor now has the ability to edit palettes directly within the editor, in addition to exporting and importing from an external program.
  • Added an "Open in GFX Editor" button to the sprite editor, so that you don't need to manually copy paste pointers between the two.
  • DSVEdit's docs now include RAM maps for all four games (and a ROM map for AoS).
  • Added a 64-bit version of DSVEdit. If the regular 32-bit version doesn't launch for you, try the 64-bit version.
  • Fixed a bug when adding new layers where free space could be used twice.
  • Fixed "Add Overlay" in PoR placing the new overlay overlapping sprite data during Whip's Memory fight.
  • Lots of other bug fixes and additions to the documentation.

Changes in v1.5:
  • Added beta support for Aria of Sorrow. Not all tools support AoS yet, and some of the ones that do have bugs.
  • Added a test room feature. Press F7 to launch the game, loading your first save file, and placing you directly into the room you had open in DSVEdit.
  • Added a feature to add a new overlay file to the game. Once added, this overlay acts as a very large amount of free space you can use for whatever you want, such as custom ASM code.
  • Added a free space manager so DSVEdit now reuses space when adding entities or expanding layers. Previous versions of DSVEdit wasted space every time you added an entity or expanded a layer, but 1.5 now keeps track of that space so it can use it again later on.
  • Added a special object editor.
  • Added a weapon synth editor for DoS.
  • Added RAM map documentation for PoR.
  • Added ASM function documentation for all four games.
  • You can now move entities and doors around within DSVEdit by dragging them. Hold Ctrl to disable 16px grid alignment.
  • Panning the room is now done with middle click or spacebar instead of left click.
  • The sprite editor can now add and remove frames and parts.
  • The layers editor can now edit more layer attributes.
  • Improved text formatting.
  • Fixed ROM being expanded incorrectly, which could cause the game to crash on real hardware and certain emulators.
  • Fixed a bug where newly added map tiles in DoS wouldn't display ingame.
  • Fixed a bug where newly added map tiles in PoR/OoE sometimes wouldn't display ingame if you changed the width of a row on the map.
  • Fixed a bug where the emulator specified in the settings wouldn't be used correctly.
  • Fixed a bug where the GFX editor would import 256 color palettes incorrectly.
  • Fixed various editor crashes.
  • Documented more attributes and variables.

Changes in v1.4:
  • Added complete support for the Japanese versions of all three games. Japanese text is also now displayed correctly.
  • Added a player character editor.
  • Added a tileset editor.
  • The sprite editor can now edit and save certain things, such as parts and animation speed.
  • The item editor can now edit extra skill data like max projectiles on screen or SP needed to master.
  • The text editor now supports more text commands, such as changing text color.
  • The GFX editor now supports 1-dimensional graphics mode.
  • Added a button to the entity editor to delete the entity from the room.
  • Added an Export button to the sprite editor that saves all of the sprite's frames to the hard drive.
  • Fixed a bug with the map editor where newly added tiles in PoR/OoE wouldn't show up ingame.
  • The sprite skeleton viewer now supports playing skeletal animations.
  • Documented many more attributes and variables for enemies, special objects, and items.

Changes in v1.3:
  • Added a GFX/palette editor.
  • Added a music editor.
  • (WIP) Added support for the Japanese version of OoE.
  • Documented more item/enemy attributes.

Changes in v1.2:
  • Added an item pool editor for OoE's randomly generated chests.
  • Added right click -> Add Entity shortcut.
  • Added more sprites to sprite viewer.
  • Show animation frame delays in sprite viewer.
  • Do not allow expanding sector overlays past the end of the RAM region they're allowed in to prevent data being overwritten.
  • Documented more enemies and special objects.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:27:55 pm by LagoLunatic »

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:01:45 pm »
This is...interesting.  I'm gonna have to rethink one project now that I had planned for Circle of the Moon lol.
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:51 am »
You should add a link to the full version on the project page. Cause some poeple don't visit the forum. It's too bad it's over 30 MB so it can't be hosted on this site itself.

Did you talk about this editor somewhere else? It's weird that such a comprehensive editor would come out without having any feedback from people.

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:27:14 am »
Hey everyone. I've been working on hacking the DS Castlevania games for a while, and I just released the first version of my editor for them:
DSVania Editor

And here's the source code of the program: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit

If the version I uploaded to romhacking.net doesn't run for you, try this updated version instead:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/download/v1.0/DSVania_Editor_1.0_full.zip

If you've got questions or anything, feel free to post them here.

Neat however you should have European version as well for more friendly also.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »
You should add a link to the full version on the project page. Cause some poeple don't visit the forum. It's too bad it's over 30 MB so it can't be hosted on this site itself.

Just submitted an update to the project page.

Did you talk about this editor somewhere else? It's weird that such a comprehensive editor would come out without having any feedback from people.

Nope. I don't think there are any sites specific to Castlevania romhacking like some series have. I've just been working on it solo.

Neat however you should have European version as well for more friendly also.

I might be able to add support for other versions at some point in the future. Not going to be easy though, since data is all shifted around in RAM in the different versions. And my program needs over 100 pointers for each game, so if I add support for the European and Japanese versions of all three games I'll need to re-find over 600 pointers.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:49 pm »
Great work! I haven't posted on here for a while, but this was a great find. Thank you for creating this wonderful tool. At the moment, can objects only be replaced, or is there some way to add them and add enemies that I'm missing? Thanks again!
I know something of cages.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:43:16 am »
Great work! I haven't posted on here for a while, but this was a great find. Thank you for creating this wonderful tool. At the moment, can objects only be replaced, or is there some way to add them and add enemies that I'm missing? Thanks again!

I'm glad you like it!

Yes, there's a way to add new entities to a room - if you open the room in Tiled, you can duplicate an entity already in the room, then import from Tiled. But I think for the next version I'll add a simpler way to add entities that you can do from in DSVEdit, like right click -> add entity or something.

theplottwist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:14 am »
Hello! First of all, your program is incredible and has already given me a lot of fun.

Now, I want to report one thing: Some people have expressed that the program is not working on their machines. This MIGHT have to do with the fact that your program, on startup, locks if the path for the executable has an accent anywhere.

For instance, when I first unpacked the program on my Desktop and tried starting the program, this error came up:

I then moved the program's folder to C:/, and sure enough, it started with no issues.

Then I put it inside a folder which letter had an accent. BOOM, suddenly it was not starting up anymore. Basically, english has no accents, so if your file path is in english, you're good.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:37 am »
This program is everything I could have ever dreamed of. Thanks, LagoLunatic!  :thumbsup:

Using this tool, I've been working on a set of patches for all three of the DS Castlevania games that aim to clear up some slightly iffy translations/spellings (very much like Almagest/Radagast's fixes for Aria of Sorrow - in fact, many spellings/translations are pretty much copied wholesale), maintain consistent terminology (where appropriate AND possible), and to to fix any nasty typos and formatting errors within the text.

I'm just about finished, but the only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is fixing the two remaining typos in Portrait of Ruin: 'Richiter Mode' on the File Select screen and 'Charotte Aulin' on the Equip screen (https://tcrf.net/Castlevania:_Portrait_of_Ruin#Typos).

I've thoroughly looked through all the viewable text and sprites, but I can't seem to locate the appropriate data (maybe its located somewhere else?).

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:26 am »
This program is everything I could have ever dreamed of. Thanks, LagoLunatic!  :thumbsup:

Using this tool, I've been working on a set of patches for all three of the DS Castlevania games that aim to clear up some slightly iffy translations/spellings (very much like Almagest/Radagast's fixes for Aria of Sorrow - in fact, many spellings/translations are pretty much copied wholesale), maintain consistent terminology (where appropriate AND possible), and to to fix any nasty typos and formatting errors within the text.

I'm just about finished, but the only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is fixing the two remaining typos in Portrait of Ruin: 'Richiter Mode' on the File Select screen and 'Charotte Aulin' on the Equip screen (https://tcrf.net/Castlevania:_Portrait_of_Ruin#Typos).

I've thoroughly looked through all the viewable text and sprites, but I can't seem to locate the appropriate data (maybe its located somewhere else?).

I managed to find them, they're stored as graphics instead of text.
Richiter is in /sc/f_seleob1.dat and Charotte is in /sc/f_equipob0.dat.
DSVEdit can't edit graphics but you can edit them with a generic editor like Tile Molester. For /sc/f_seleob1.dat set Mode: 2-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order. For /sc/f_equipob0.dat set Mode: 1-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order.

NecroCorey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »
I'm glad you like it!

Yes, there's a way to add new entities to a room - if you open the room in Tiled, you can duplicate an entity already in the room, then import from Tiled. But I think for the next version I'll add a simpler way to add entities that you can do from in DSVEdit, like right click -> add entity or something.
I popped in to ask if you had plans to make entities easier and you had already decided to do so. You're a legend.

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »
Question. I just made a basic edit to test things out. In this case, adding some Zombies to one of the first rooms in PoR. I selected Build, but nothing is happening. I just get a Waiting screen that never progresses. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Reopening the editor seemed to work. Such cool stuff!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:42:56 pm by Eternal248 »
I know something of cages.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:48 am »
I managed to find them, they're stored as graphics instead of text.
Richiter is in /sc/f_seleob1.dat and Charotte is in /sc/f_equipob0.dat.
DSVEdit can't edit graphics but you can edit them with a generic editor like Tile Molester. For /sc/f_seleob1.dat set Mode: 2-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order. For /sc/f_equipob0.dat set Mode: 1-dimensional and Codec: 4bpp linear reverse order.

Those tips you gave for locating the graphics in Tile Molester were a lifesaver (probably never would have found them otherwise)! Both typos are now fixed.

Those patches should be coming soon once I've done a bit of play-testing.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
I just released version 1.2. It adds an easier way of adding entities to a room, an editor for the item pools used by OoE's random chests, and fixes some bugs.

Then I put it inside a folder which letter had an accent. BOOM, suddenly it was not starting up anymore. Basically, english has no accents, so if your file path is in english, you're good.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think there's any way for me to fix that but I mentioned it in the readme so hopefully that will help anyone having that problem.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:09 pm »
Another issue I have been running into is with the item editor, anytime I change something within it and hit the apply button the whole thing just freezes up on me.

The game in question is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »
I love these 3 games and am quite interested in playing around with this...

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »
Another issue I have been running into is with the item editor, anytime I change something within it and hit the apply button the whole thing just freezes up on me.

The game in question is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.

Looks like I made a mistake when adding bitfields to the item editor and never noticed it. I uploaded a hotfix for that bug:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit/releases/tag/v1.2.1

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:10 pm »
Impressive utility!
Thank you for making this!

One thing I wanted to ask is if this tool has sprite editing support, and if so how deep into sprites does it go?
I ask because I have a project regarding both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the works:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

I basically am editing all of the portraits in both games to give them a proper Kojima like art style instead of anime, and if your tool has support for editing the portraits and HUDs then it might make my life a lot easier haha.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:59 pm »
Impressive utility!
Thank you for making this!

One thing I wanted to ask is if this tool has sprite editing support, and if so how deep into sprites does it go?
I ask because I have a project regarding both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the works:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

I basically am editing all of the portraits in both games to give them a proper Kojima like art style instead of anime, and if your tool has support for editing the portraits and HUDs then it might make my life a lot easier haha.

I've been playing around with the tool all day and I have to say I have not seen anything related to editing the sprites, in fact in the readme file it makes it clear that the sprites are only for viewing purposes.

Pretty much as it is right now this tool would be helpful for sprite ripping and getting game assets rather than actually editing the sprites ingame itself.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:51 pm »
Just so you know, theres a thread for this at CV Dungeon.

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=9047