News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 - Standard Mario Patch v1.2 Released  (Read 5531 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Standard Mario Patch v1.2 Released
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:27 am »
SMB2: SMP = Super Mario Bros. 2: Standard Mario Patch

Yes, it's not making me any money, but I had some free time off, and I felt like doing what I enjoyed.  That, and I really wanted to finish this hack.  So here it is.

For those who don't know what the SMP is, it is a patch that makes SMB2 more like the other Mario games, like replacing the cherries with coins, making the turtle shells bounce on collision instead of disappearing, and updating some things such as character palettes, the health meter graphics, and adding coin counters to the pause screen.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlSLrNr1stM

The readme lists all of the changes.

Download
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5210 (Updated to Version 1.2)

Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:31:54 pm by RetroRain »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 Standard Mario Patch
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:40 am »
You should upload it to the site too. Looks good.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:33:30 am »
Thank you, I will.  To anyone who already downloaded this hack, please ditch that patch, and re-download it again.  I found a couple of bugs in there that shouldn't have been there.  I fixed them up, and re-uploaded the file.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:40 am »
I remember you had some real life problems and had to pause your activity for a while.
Glad for your comeback, and with one such interesting hack too :) and hopefully everything is better for you overall.

Reskinned Doki Doki Panic SMB2 really was too different from the other Mario games. In the same vein, a Zelda 3 hack restoring unused elements like meat and the stopwatch from Zelda 1 could be unique.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:42 am »
Thank you for your kind words. :)

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
Thanks for finishing this hack, it looks so much better now than with the cherries.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:33 am »
Not a big deal, but I wish you took my suggestion of making the mushrooms work when you touch them, isntead of having to pick them up.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:34:34 pm »
I'm sorry buddy, but collision detection is not my thing (at least yet).  But, it is something that I'll look into if I decide to release another version.  There are 3 things that I would like to do for a tentative Version 1.1:

• Allow player to switch characters on the Pause Screen
• Fix the vegetable/starman item-holding glitch
• The mushrooms take effect by walking into them

However, I could use some opinions on the first listed thing.  Is it something that you guys would like to see?  I'm only considering it because someone mentioned it.

If I decided to do that, I would probably remove the counters on the celebration sequence, where it shows you how many times you used a character.  The numbers could wind up getting up there, since I'd have the counters increase whenever you choose a character.  It wouldn't make sense to just have the counters increase on the character select screen by choosing a character, if you are going to choose a different one on the pause screen.  And truthfully, the counters at the end of the game aren't really that important to begin with.

Let me know what you think.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »
You could make it so it only counts who beats the level. Someone could cheat by picking someone else and using them throught the level and switching at the end. But I dunno if you really care, noones going to compare scores and it don't have a leaderboard.

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 03:54:11 pm »
I'm sorry buddy, but collision detection is not my thing (at least yet).  But, it is something that I'll look into if I decide to release another version.  There are 3 things that I would like to do for a tentative Version 1.1:

• Allow player to switch characters on the Pause Screen
• Fix the vegetable/starman item-holding glitch
• The mushrooms take effect by walking into them

However, I could use some opinions on the first listed thing.  Is it something that you guys would like to see?  I'm only considering it because someone mentioned it.

If I decided to do that, I would probably remove the counters on the celebration sequence, where it shows you how many times you used a character.  The numbers could wind up getting up there, since I'd have the counters increase whenever you choose a character.  It wouldn't make sense to just have the counters increase on the character select screen by choosing a character, if you are going to choose a different one on the pause screen.  And truthfully, the counters at the end of the game aren't really that important to begin with.

Let me know what you think.

I think that is possible because I don't think the score counter is important at all to begin with as far this is from GBA. So, your idea I can agree that it could work fair enough for the players to switch characters so the gameplay can be decent enough.

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »
In case you want to use it, here's what I have so far for my instant character switching code.
It's from my files in my own patcher format, but should be easy to figure out.
Add 0x10 to addresses to account for header for the rom offset.

// Got this address from xkeeper's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEx1RLPeX4
// Tried it on a whim, works well as a spot to hijack for the character switching.
// Change sprite-erasing routine to point to our new subroutine instead
hex 1eca0 2046fbea

// **** New Character switching subroutine ****
//a5 f5 ;lda joy (get key pressed)
//29 20 ;and #$20 (is select pressed?)
//f0 21 ;beq (if not, skip ahead 0x21 bytes)

//a9 04 ; lda #$04 (load 0x04 into accumulator (heart/cursor sound effect))
//8d 0206 ; load sound into music queue

// e6 8f ;increment the character by one
// a9 03 ;set a to 03
// c58f ;compare it with character
// b004 ;if the character is greater than 03, skip ahead 4 bytes

// a9 00 85 8f ;set the character to 00

// a5 8f lda character
// 20 a493 ;jsr $93a4 ;subroutine to load character palette (doesn't transfer it to ppu memory yet)

// a905
// 20 85ff ;jsr $ff85; subroutine to help load character data
// 20 5184 ;jsr $8451; subroutine to help load character data
// 20 16fe ;jsr $fe16 ??? not sure what this subroutine does or why i added it

// a000a9f8 ; Original data from the spot we used for the pointer

// 60 ;rts (return)

hex 1fb46 a5f52920f021 a9048d0206 e68f a903 c58f b004 a900858f a58f 20a493 a905 2085ff 205184 2016fe a000a9f8  60
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:24:59 am »
I just read a review for this patch. It takes you till level 4-2 till you can get a 1-up? I really think you need to bring the number of coins required down. I think it's more important to make collecting coins rewarding than following the convention of getting a 1-up at 100 coins.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:05 am »
The review also brought up the idea of using the stopwatch's instant activation property on the stars.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:11:51 am »
I totally misread what you were saying. I reread the review a few times to look for it. I thought you were saying he should use the stopwatch effect when you get a star. That's a idea tho.

RetroRain

• View Profile
Okay, so here's the story.  About 3 weeks ago, I came up with an idea for a new SMB2 hack.  It was called SMB2 DX.  I did some work on it, but I will be restarting it once this SMP is final.  Reason being, is that that hack will be based off of this SMP, and I want to make sure I get everything done with the SMP before moving on to it.

It is also possible that the name SMB2 DX is tentative.  I might be changing it, but here is some very early work of what I did:

The character-switching thing will not be a part of the SMP, because I will be reserving it for my SMB2 DX hack.  The reason being, is that my DX hack will have 3 different difficulties, and the character-switching will only be for Easy mode.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way, here is what is in store for SMP Version 1.1:

- Moving turtle shells can hurt the player on contact.

- Walking into mushrooms will allow you to obtain them.

A. Players start off in their small state, and must obtain a Mushroom to become big, and add another piece to their health meter.

B. That being said, the small floating hearts you get when defeating enemies will no longer be in the game.  You will need to get a Mushroom in order to replenish health or become big.

C. I'm thinking about removing subspace altogether.  That being said, Mushrooms will now be in the actual levels, along with the vegetables that act as bonus coins when you pick them up.

These last 3 things are labeled A, B, and C, because they are related to each other.

- Something else that I wanted in the SMP, which I wasn't going to do, because I really didn't want to mess with the level data, is making turtle shells, coins, and 1ups more common.  Especially the turtle shells, since they are very rare in the original game.

The only problem with that is that some people might not want the level data tampered with.

However, if I eliminate subspace and make the mushrooms and bonus coins in the levels themselves, I will have to modify the level data anyway.

Also, I fixed the star glitch that was present in v1.0.  Now, when you get the 10th big vegetable, the player will pick up the star, and instantly get the star power.  This is not what I really wanted.  I wanted it so that when you pick up the vegetable, the star pops out, and you have to chase after it to get it, but this was the best way to get the star glitch-free.  I uploaded a YouTube video showing this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAuAXyVHZCU).

I could definitely use some opinions and feedback on these ideas I have in mind for Version 1.1.

Thanks. :)

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
Ideas:
* If you remove sub-space, use that music for outside, and put the underground music from the smb2 beta in too.
* Add ability to swim in water.
* Change the potion to a star in a bottle.  Throw it, it pops out instead of making the door.
* Add 1-up sound effects for bonus game (think SMB3 cards).
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
For Hard Mode, you could make it so that the 4 playable characters can only use their abilities such as higher jump (luigi), faster moving (toad) and flying (princess) only when they are big (powered up by the mushroom) and the character who died in the current level can't be reselected again until the level is completed, if all 4 are dead then you have to restart the current chapter again.

RetroRain

• View Profile
You can now get the mushroom by walking into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTo8yQzEn0

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
You can now get the mushroom by walking into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTo8yQzEn0

Now that's gangsta! :D

Btw, are you gonna used those graphics Stufid sent you of Ice Ranger's SMB2 hack he never started?
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

RetroRain

• View Profile
No, I'm not going to mess with the graphics on a heavy level.  Remember, I'm allowing anyone to use this patch as a base for their hacks, and they may not want the graphics tampered with.  Only minor graphics changes are being made to update the game's quality.  That, and if I wanted graphics changes, I'd like to assess what changes I'd make, and what they should be changed to.

Question: Do I disable the power jump?  The other Mario games don't have it, and if I'm making this more in line with the other games...

Question 2: Do I edit the level data to make coins, turtle shells, and 1ups more common?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:29:02 pm by RetroRain »