News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Useless weapons and power-ups in gaming  (Read 2573 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
Useless weapons and power-ups in gaming
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:00:39 pm »
Hey guys! This is were we discuss the most useless weapons and power-ups in gaming.
Mine is the cane from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES. And yours?
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

travel27

• View Profile
Re: Useless weapons and power-ups in gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:09:17 pm »
The cane from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:43:27 pm »
Hacking Analyze Add-on in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:12:33 pm »
I don't think the speedshoes have been useful for a long time. Probably last time they were useful was the Genesis Sonic games. Usually they make you walk off a cliff in the 3d games.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:09 pm »
Mowing grass in the Rollercoaster Tycoon games.  Mowing the lawn does next nothing at all, yet if you forget to turn it off and don't direct your janitors to a certain spot, they will go on this epic lawn mowing adventure throughout your lands on your dime never helping anyone.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:16:07 pm »
The fire flower in Super Mario World. After the first castle, you can always backtrack to pick up a cape. Once you have access to a cape, you can spin right round, baby, right round, and bulldoze anything in your path which pretty much renders throwing fireballs pointless. Not to mention you can fly.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »

I'd have to go with BF's Slipsauce from the Rock n Roll Racing games.

Seriously...you drop that stuff on the ground, it barely makes the computer lose control....certainly makes YOU lose control (especially since they don't go away, but accumulate all race), and then have literally no effect on treaded vehicles or the hover vehicles.

I am one of those nutjobs who likes to play through RNR with the beginner cars because I love the jump jets to skip sections of the track AND the green lasers are super fast and accurate...but BF needs better ingredients in his slipsauce because this one sucks.....hehe...

Oh...and the cane from Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde on the NES.   >:D

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:35:06 pm »

I have waited long for this moment. I would like to point out that the Tanuki Suit, an item first obtainable in the Mushroom House in world 4 (behind the warp pipe closest to 4-1, behind a rock that requires a Magic Hammer), is a bunch of crap.

First and foremost, it is rare to find Tanuki Suits, and Tanuki Mario just...feels vulnerable. You have the security of being able to soft land, but by the time you get to Big Island (world 4), soft landing is complicated by enemy placement. A lot. Like, all the time. And it's not like it's a Leaf; they don't appear every day (world 6 has a lot but that's even less likely to be a world where you don't get hit). The point is, the Tanuki Suit is so rare and acts just like the Raccoon Suit, with one exception (I'll get to it), but is as easy to lose, and much harder to get back.

Add to that, secondly, that the "Pound the Ground" move (the first, I think) pressing v + B in the air, causing Tanuki Mario to turn into Statue Mario, is quite valuable if used right (stomping Pirhana Plants is possible, I thought? Also Roto Discs), and you add to the perceived value of the Suit. This makes the player even more frustrated to lose it, which (unless you happen to be Statue Mario, which you cannot remain for long) is as vulnerable as Raccoon Mario, and you have basically what amounts to a pain in the butt that I'd rather save inventory space on to stock Stars and Hammer Suits (because whatever problems the Hammer Suit has, it just kicks ass to be able to ruin Bowser Donkey Kong style to that music).

My gracious, this makes me feel like doing everything I just said...big sigh.

;D

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Scroll of Random Uselessness, sometimes it makes butterflies!
 As for items that weren't actually jokes to begin with...

Maybe Life stones and Medicine from SMT IV, the only thing they're good for is demon bribery, at the start they might give an ok amount of health but by the end of the first area you have to spam piles of them to have any meaningful effect, making Dia magic the go to for healing.

Base Damper from Tron 2.0: It might just be me sucking at stealth but these damn boots don't seem to do anything much, memory space is better spent on armor and offensive upgrades.

Steve's voice chip in Dark Cloud 2, he never shuts up, it might be cool as a novelty but his VA is annoying as hell and it gets old very very fast.

Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »
The cane from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES
I found it a bit more useful when I played the Japanese version (or at least the first level). Poking the bomb-dropping guys could activate them a bit farther away, giving more distance to run from the bombs. (though I hear that was one of the changes between the Japanese and US versions, the bomb radius was widened to make them harder to dodge, even on the first level)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:57:48 am »
The <F> weapon in Contra. It's weak and makes it hard to shoot at anything accurately, it's worse than the default gun. At least they fixed it in Super C.

I'll also mention the knife subweapon in Castlevania series. Other sub-weapons all have their uses, their strengths and their weaknesses. However the knife is almost always useless.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
There are too many to even make excuses... What I really don't like are the ones that aren't worthy of our playtime.

Popular ones...
* Some materias and ultimate weapons from Final Fantasy 7. It is not that you can find fitting spots, the weapons are unworthy because they don't allow growth (hence using them against Emerald and Ruby is wasting a good Knights of the Round growth). Now materias like MP Plus don't fit anything...

* "Junk" weapons from Parasite Eve. They are the strongest ones, but getting hold of that many items is something better done at Chrysler, plus the enemy span rate keeps diminishing over time, at the 5th day, so if you don't want to try your luck trough time to get them all, at the first run (you can get to level 99 before getting just one), you got a choice to do: give up the bonus BP (time attack EX game) or trash it to the weapons.

* Least but not last, ultimate equipment from Vagrant Story. You can kick the Ashura ass at risk 100 long before getting only one of them. It is truly the work of masochists minds. :)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 12:23:30 pm »
I've got another one: The golden sword from Final Fantasy III.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
Barrells in Secret of Mana stunk, as well. Never appeared in Mana again.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »

How about this one?

Hey, at least the "Fists" in Doom have a use, especially against pink demons, and especially after you get the berserk pack.....but WTF does this damned pocket knife do for ya in Wolfenstein 3D?

If you can't find ammo for another weapon, and find it quickly, you may as well reset the game.......knife sucks....

Oh, and also, the cane from Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde on NES...  :crazy:

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:26 pm »
Have you guys never seen this page?

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/nes/useless.htm

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 11:48:43 pm »
A number of the items in Odin Sphere feel pretty useless to me.

The Ancient Crystal can revive you once if you die while having it equipped. That's pointless since dying only makes you restart your current battle with all of the inventory and EXP that you had when it started. Dying in that game isn't so much punishment as it is a chance to get a better score and better/more treasure. Considering that you can only equip one item you're better off wearing something to raise your attack power.

The Saturn Bangle raises your attack power by a whopping 5%. That's little enough that you probably won't even notice you have it. It would probably only make a real difference over the course of an hour or something. Might shave off a minute or two. Similarly, the Star Pendant raises your HP by 5%. Who cares about that when you can use your alchemy recipes to make cures? And if you don't have the supplies to make any cures you can always retreat to home base or just play a battle over and over again until you are finally able to squeak by.

The Gourmet Ring allows you to eat food faster but I don't really see much benefit in that. Sure, there are some foods that take a while to eat but the way the battles work it's really not that difficult to run far enough from an enemy to buy you the time you need to eat, even if it's barely enough (depending on who you are fighting).

Side note: I've only played the PS2 version. I haven't had a chance to play the remake yet.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:51 am »
How about this one?

Hey, at least the "Fists" in Doom have a use, especially against pink demons, and especially after you get the berserk pack.....but WTF does this damned pocket knife do for ya in Wolfenstein 3D?

If you can't find ammo for another weapon, and find it quickly, you may as well reset the game.......knife sucks....
Stabbin' Hitler is kind of satisfying, I'm told.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!