News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Turning Air Slash off in Ninja Gaiden 1 nes boss stages (cheap trick)  (Read 1844 times)

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
As the title says I want to turn of the Air slash power in boss stages because it can kill the boss in one hit and that is really lame.

The only thing I though is a ram restriction, I mean we have Ram C9:85 (Air slash) & ram 6D (Stage ram), what is we make
C9≠85 if  6D=01,04,07,0B,0F,13,14,15 (Air slash is turned off at the boss stages 01,04,07,0B,0F,13,14,15.)

Now if any of you have a better idea or know how to use this one let me know, I also plan to add this to our team hack.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
Re: Turning Air Slash off in Ninja Gaiden 1 nes boss stages (cheap trick)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »
Instead of preventing the player from using it, wouldn't it be better to nerf it somewhat?  Like exiting the slash after the first hit.  Then you could still use it, but it wouldn't continue to hit the bosses over and over again during the jump, significantly reducing the damage.  The question then would be whether to continue nerfing the technique in the rest of the game or only apply it to boss levels.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »
Yeeeah, that is a problem because in the rest of the game is good to slash many times because there are many enemies and in our hack the select button switches the weapon that the players are currently using, but i the boss stage is too cheapy, anything goes just so it works in the game but not in boss stages, still thinking...

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:33 pm »
Try copying the following bytestring to x1DEC3:
A5 79 4A B0 14 38 BD 90 04 E9 01 B0 03 4C 3A DF 9D 90 04 A8 A9 3F 8D 00 06 60

This should make bosses only completely immune to the air attack.  Interesting note, $0079 bit 0 is set when you are fighting a boss, in case you ever need to check for it.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »
The values are working the problem is, it works for regular enemies as well, it won't kill no one, what about making it only to deal 1 point damage to boss that way it can kill regular enemies.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »
Are you sure you copied it to exactly the right spot?  I just tested again on an unmodified ROM and air attack was working fine on regular enemies.

As for it only doing 1 point of damage, it actually does.  The problem is that it continues to do 1 point of damage each frame until the player is far enough away from the boss, or the player has hit the ground.  I might be able to have it do a single point of damage before cancelling the air attack on a boss, but I would need to find a free space to add the code.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 05:21:05 pm »
You are right they work, sorry I wrote one wrong, I'm sleepy :( Thank the second time, hey yo wanna reconsider entering our hack team?

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:42 pm »
I don't know if I have the time for another major project, but I can help with a few things.  I'm good with assembly, although I've spent a lot more time on the SNES than the NES.  I checked out the project page, and on the assembly side it looks like you might need:

-fix glitch, sometimes deadpool give 2 damage points to the bosses
-make second boss invincible
-Change Deadpool's weapon into a proper gun
-Regenerating health

The throwing star has a pretty similar mechanic to a gun already.  If the speed of the projectile is increased and the sprites are adjusted, it could probably pass.  Regenerating health should be easy enough, though you might need to re-balance things a little bit afterwards.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:39 am »
I've sent you a pm about the regeneration health check it out.

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 05:44:16 am »
Glad you help us, I already tested the rom today... Slash attack doesn't work on enemies, not sure if I like it or hate it :P

Hahaha thanks again! :D

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:51 am »
Whaaaaat, is working on enemies I checked it myself, tge code is good.