News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Bad News for Fans of the Ys Series  (Read 7991 times)

Faz rank 4

• View Profile
Re: Bad News for Fans of the Ys Series
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
For now japan versions already got bonuses, not announced for west versions, so if bugs will be critical, just get JP ver, Ys never was a game, that require deep understanding.
http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-viii-ps4-details-hidden-elements-benefits-japanese-ps-vita-version-buyers
Games that do not give me desired characters playable, or that have single playable character are not worth my time.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:25 am »
The big one I heard of was Ar Tonelico 2(?). Supposedly they forgot to translate one of the final boss' attacks which is said to have been the cause of random freezing (should it try to use said attack).

They did translate those, but they translated them too long and it ended up overflowing to other regions of the ROM and softlocking the game. What's interesting about that glitch is that it combines both disliked aspects about their approach: fluffed translation with bloated dialogue having little to do with the context because localisation, AND poor testing (they finished the game almost certainly with cheats, considering that crash happens at the third turn of that boss fight).

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:43 am »
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/17/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-comes-west/

Today, at a press event in San Francisco, NIS America announced they will be localizing the Falcom developed action RPG Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. The game will release in North America and Europe on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and PC (via Steam) in Fall 2017. The title will be released physically and digitally on both PlayStation platforms. It will also have dual audio support (English and Japanese) and the option for French for the text.

The reason this is bad news is because NIS America is known to butcher games, and give no support for glitches.

also it'd seem that XSEED is less than thrilled about losing the series; some tweets from their localization producer:

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832797511479734273
please don't ask me any questions related to NISA announcing Ys VIII. we didn't give it up willingly and I've cried like...a fuckton over it

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832798031321788416
 giving up something I feel we put our heart into for for years has definitely hurt and I probably won't be getting over it for a while

From all of this..I think NIS-America can go to hell.

Given the nonsense that XSEED has gotten themselves into over the years, it's understandable that Falcom wanted to go with a dev team that wasn't involved in such drama. And whether or not the theft of work claims made are true doesn't really matter anymore as just getting involved in such a way was their own fault. This is why dev houses distance themselves from the homebrew/modding communities. NISA has a chance to kick it up a few notches. Let's hope they do.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:04 am »
Given the nonsense that XSEED has gotten themselves into over the years, it's understandable that Falcom wanted to go with a dev team that wasn't involved in such drama. And whether or not the theft of work claims made are true doesn't really matter anymore as just getting involved in such a way was their own fault. This is why dev houses distance themselves from the homebrew/modding communities. NISA has a chance to kick it up a few notches. Let's hope they do.

Do you mean "that guy" who once upon a time might've been a decent programmer or something, then had a psychological collapse throwing away his career and reputation for a hate campaign against XSEED? Any legitimate origin his grievances had, is hard to take seriously now.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 08:05:54 am »

Do you mean "that guy" who once upon a time might've been a decent programmer or something, then had a psychological collapse throwing away his career and reputation for a hate campaign against XSEED? Any legitimate origin his grievances had, is hard to take seriously now.

... What controversy and which guy it is?
Xseed and their staff were not involved in anything hacking-related as far as I know, besides buying off Oath of Felghana and some staff frequenting forums with people who do and politely asking them to stop (like with Brandish). And I doubt anyone is taking accusations about Xseed stealing the Trails of Zero fan-translation seriously, or that Falcom finds lewd games published by Xseed a deal breaker.

Was it Trails SC's translator?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:52 am »
... What controversy and which guy it is?
Xseed and their staff were not involved in anything hacking-related as far as I know, besides buying off Oath of Felghana and some staff frequenting forums with people who do and politely asking them to stop (like with Brandish). And I doubt anyone is taking accusations about Xseed stealing the Trails of Zero fan-translation seriously, or that Falcom finds lewd games published by Xseed a deal breaker.

Was it Trails SC's translator?

Look up the Oath in Felghana fan translation. If you don't know, you're better off. We shouldn't be reviving old drama that has nothing to do with the current state of Ys.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »

I don't know if Deuce (the translator) had a psychological collapse, but I believe the "hate campaign" was his former hacking partner, NightWolve, who wanted to sell translation patches without consent of the copyright owners.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:35 pm »
I don't know if Deuce (the translator) had a psychological collapse, but I believe the "hate campaign" was his former hacking partner, NightWolve, who wanted to sell translation patches without consent of the copyright owners.

Yeah, that was the mess I was referring to. Who was right or wrong is irrelevant at this point, but it seems clear that it has had a negative effect on the community. And as I said before, it is possible, and indeed likely, that Falcom wanted to distance itself from it.

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:27 am »

Since I'm a part of the PCE community, and have seen a lot of what NightWolve has posted (and keeps on posting) about this subject ... I'll just say that he has a very different story about that whole "wanting to sell those translation patches" claim that is made against him.

Anything else about the toxic sh*tstorm surrounding that situation is something that is best-dealt-with by those directly concerned, or a google search.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 02:57:27 am »
People have psychological breakdowns in public?

...If you play hard rock guitar solos they pay you to do that ;D Hehehehehehehe
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 04:21:37 am »
Please! It runs at like 15 frames per second. And the PSP version has serious loading issues.
You are thinking the PSP version. The PS2 version runs fine with no issues.

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 07:01:50 am »

Nope, I remember how choppy that game looked on PS2 and to me, it ruined the whole experience. It also seemed to have a lot of "ghosting" caused by the game running interlaced.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 07:06:25 am »
I'm goona have to disagree with that also. I have the PSP version and it runs very smooth, guessing at 30hz+.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 08:07:34 am »
Nope, I remember how choppy that game looked on PS2 and to me, it ruined the whole experience. It also seemed to have a lot of "ghosting" caused by the game running interlaced.
When was the last time you played the PS2 version? Your not describing the game I re-played 1 year ago.
Get component cables, play on a good CRT and you shouldn't have any ghosting (or frame rate issues).

Allot of people unjustly give the PS2 port shit. It doesn't get enough credit for adding 360 analog controls and 100% voice acted dialogue. Any cosmetic issues (CGI, voice acting options) are all configurable in the cheat menu. 

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:36 am »
When was the last time you played the PS2 version? Your not describing the game I re-played 1 year ago.
Get component cables, play on a good CRT and you shouldn't have any ghosting (or frame rate issues).

Allot of people unjustly give the PS2 port shit. It doesn't get enough credit for adding 360 analog controls and 100% voice acted dialogue. Any cosmetic issues (CGI, voice acting options) are all configurable in the cheat menu.

Admittedly, long long ago. However, I know exactly what I played and what I played was exactly as I described it. Tho to be fair, I had played the PC original long before that. And Adol could already run in any angle, in the original PC version, his movement however was limited to where the cursor was pointed. Not that I played any of the Ys games that way, mind you. 8-way directional control worked just was well, as did my PS2 controller to USB adapter.

BTW I bought my first HDTV (a 240pound Toshiba 36" 4:3 HDready CRT) specifically for my Gamecube, so that I could enjoy Sunshine in 480p, and component cables for every system that generation. PS2 games, as a whole, looked like ass with component cables, because less than 10% of the sames supported 480p. And unlike the other systems, the ones that looked like ass always looked best in s-video. Since analog RGB 240p was not supported on digital YPbPr displays.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
Admittedly, long long ago. However, I know exactly what I played and what I played was exactly as I described it. Tho to be fair, I had played the PC original long before that. And Adol could already run in any angle, in the original PC version, his movement however was limited to where the cursor was pointed. Not that I played any of the Ys games that way, mind you. 8-way directional control worked just was well, as did my PS2 controller to USB adapter.

BTW I bought my first HDTV (a 240pound Toshiba 36" 4:3 HDready CRT) specifically for my Gamecube, so that I could enjoy Sunshine in 480p, and component cables for every system that generation. PS2 games, as a whole, looked like ass with component cables, because less than 10% of the sames supported 480p. And unlike the other systems, the ones that looked like ass always looked best in s-video. Since analog RGB 240p was not supported on digital YPbPr displays.

NTSC just sucks. It worked alright for film, but horrible at computer graphics. Not that game makers had much choice. It was too entrenched in people's homes by the 1970s.

aquagon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:51 pm »
They did translate those, but they translated them too long and it ended up overflowing to other regions of the ROM and softlocking the game. What's interesting about that glitch is that it combines both disliked aspects about their approach: fluffed translation with bloated dialogue having little to do with the context because localisation, AND poor testing (they finished the game almost certainly with cheats, considering that crash happens at the third turn of that boss fight).

Actually, these aren't the causes: the attack in question had its whole data block zeroed out, and the skill type it was supposed to reference, which is unique to it, was deleted too. So in summary, the game tries to call up an attack that doesn't exist anymore and crashes due to it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:25 pm »
I wonder if an enviroment like Twitter was around back then, if Working Designs not being able to negotiate a certain deal would've resulted in the same angry people.