News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]  (Read 38946 times)

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:43 am »
If you do not mind asking me:
Will you create in addition a hack, which makes grinding and tech learning easier?
Though I do not mind grinding, but I rather have for all characters a higher chance for them to raise their skills, as well reaching a good amount of TP/MP as well, so we do not need to rely so much on luck.
Also... I rather feel disappointed that dragon rulers do not drop dragon scales.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:57 am »
So excited to hear Eien Ni Hen is working on this. I adored her script on Arabian Nights! Thanks Magno
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »
From the looks of these screenshots, you're gonna blow the older english translations of this game entirely out of the water. Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:

I completely forgot you were working an that RS2 project! Keep up the epic progress as well.  :beer:

Ya..I wasn't even entirely sure that was "English".....

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 01:45:09 pm »
I just popped in here to say I'm really excited to be working on RS3. As you all probably know, I translated the script for RS2 and cleaned up the translated script for RS1.

The Romancing Saga series is a beast in terms of translation (not to mention hacking). RS3 in particular features mage types based on the Four Symbols of China, and a musical number full of four-character compounds.

The dialogue is also quite nuanced and pretty funny at parts, which I hope will come across in my translation. :)

Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
The dialogue is also quite nuanced and pretty funny at parts, which I hope will come across in my translation.

Any script you've touched so far becomes poetry.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 12:00:31 am »
as a minor aside and because i'm too lazy to make another thread:
Were any of the en guides on gamefaqs for this game any good, or should I just not bother and freeball it when it is time?

Also who was the best MC in terms of scope of available quests? I remember finishing the game as Katarina or Thomas years ago.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 02:42:55 am »
Were any of the en guides on gamefaqs for this game any good, or should I just not bother and freeball it when it is time?

I liked this one a lot:

https://lparchive.org/Romancing-SaGa-3/

It's really complete and fully illustrated with screenshots.

Also who was the best MC in terms of scope of available quests? I remember finishing the game as Katarina or Thomas years ago.

Maybe Mikhail, because there is some kind of mini-game about managing the kingdom: taxes, diplomatic issues, war, etc... However, with other characters will have some alternatives you can't play with Mikhail, such as talking with the "destiny child" XD

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:58 am »

IIRC, the gamefaqs guides were very helpful when I played through with the subpar EN translation, but I also used the (very old) rpgclassics shrine as well.  Both are useful, although there used to be a massive data dump Zach Keene made years ago for RS3 that has since disappeared form the internet.  It had an extremely detailed layout of the game systems if you were interested, but I sadly can't seem to find it anymore...

As far as best starter characters, IMO everyone has interesting quests.  My issue with Mikhail is that his minigame takes an absurd amount of help to get right (although you can easily farm forged equipment through it), and he doesn't specialize in swords.  Considering the best techs are sword techs (especially endgame), having mikhail be a permanent fixture in your party isn't worth it IMO.

I personally prefer Katrina or Harid, with Julian a distant 3rd favorite to main.  The stories are interesting, but especially Katrina basically gets the open world from the get-go (Harid and Julian have more of an intro to work through).

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:10 am »

So many things to say, mmh I’ll have to contain myself. :laugh:

The most important tips I can give you is this one:

At creation time you must choose a job and a favorite weapon for your main character, this will have an incidence on you Stats and your Learning Type (which is a deciding factor in what Tech you can unlock). Thing is: if you tweak your default Stats then your Learning Type will change. Surprisingly the new Learning Type will not change from the default unless you save and reload the game!!! REAL SAVE!! (not save state!).
---
As far as gamefaqs goes, the Romancing SaGa 3 Info Bonanza written by DShort is one of the better guides, I even dare to say this is an essential read if you really want to grasp the RS3 gameplay mechanics:

Romancing SaGa 3 Info Bonanza (gamefaqs)

Sadly the best guides on RS3 were never posted on gamefaqs, over the years -since I've played this game to death and still do :P- I've collected some incredible guides which (sadly) have vanished from the bowels of the Internet:

- Polygon's Romancing SaGa 3 Character Guide: this guides gives a rundown of every character in the game and their Learning Type, excellent guide (although unfinished). It was published on home.comcast.net, but the guide isn't available anymore,

- Romancing Saga 3 Learning Types Excel Sheet: this charts was designed by Destruction Angel and translated by Zach Keene (who were regular contributors on the RS3 gamefaqs boards back in the day), their work is based on a japanese guide written by a certain Shingo Endo. This table shows the learning types of every character in the game, it is an essential supplement to the Polygon's guide mentioned above,

- Romancing Saga 3 Guide by Snow Wanderer, also entitled Ultra Comprehensive Super Uber Gigantic - Or Not So Much - Concealed Mega Romancing SaGa 3 FAQ: this scary guide is humongus, impossible to find on the Net these days (I grabbed it years ago and never could trace back the source), this is great stuff,

Even if you browse all these guides for help, this is just the tip of the iceberg: because there is A LOT more to say about Romancing Saga 3's gameplay mechanics, quirks and secrets. Maybe one of these days I'll make a ressource thread or something. Until then I've uploaded these rare 3 guides for you and the Community, enjoy:

Romancing Saga 3 Top FAQS
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:09:03 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Blackiris

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 11:50:29 am »
Square Enix should really contact you for the now confirmed English version of Romancing SaGa 3 for Android / iOS (and possibly PS Vita). ;)

Ishkabibble

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:51 am »
Both are useful, although there used to be a massive data dump Zach Keene made years ago for RS3 that has since disappeared form the internet.  It had an extremely detailed layout of the game systems if you were interested, but I sadly can't seem to find it anymore...

What sort of dump are you referring to?

The only RS3 that I know of that Zach Keene provided was tech data for characters & monsters, a bestiary, and damage-per-level data.

Found those here : https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20090821215258/http://geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »
What sort of dump are you referring to?

The only RS3 that I know of that Zach Keene provided was tech data for characters & monsters, a bestiary, and damage-per-level data.

Found those here : https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20090821215258/http://geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/

Those were it---I was confusing the size with the Saga Frontier 2 data though, sorry!

However, I did find that data really useful when I was fine-tuning my team for endgame---especially once you understand how sparking and stat gains work, it saves you a lot of time as you know which enemies you can no longer get stronger against!

kain611

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »
Will this be put on the back burner now that the enhanced version has been confirmed for the west on smart phones??

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 12:53:30 pm »
Will this be put on the back burner now that the enhanced version has been confirmed for the west on smart phones??

I sure hope not, because I've been busting ass working on the script.  :P

Also, the enhanced version of RS3 has only been announced. There's not even a release date yet.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

chicco30

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 01:39:47 pm »
First of all, thank you so much Eien for your work on Romancing Saga 3 translation. Keep up the good work!
Also i wanna ask you is there any chance to anyone will port the Romancing Saga 2 VITA translation to SNES? It would be nice if the all 3 Saga games will be english in SNES too. And i hate to play on VITA or android :) SNES rulez!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 10:55:13 pm »
Probably useless to add, but I second that sentiment.
I don't think anyone would object to the complete trilogy finally being playable on SNES/Emu.

But I guess the really relevant question would be whether anyone has ever completed ANY translation of RS2?
We're fortunate with RS3 because a Spanish translation paved the way, but I don't think we have a similar situation for RS2.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 11:02:47 pm »
Eien did translate the RS2 script, just remains in Gideon's hands the rest of the work  :)

chicco30

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 01:56:22 am »
Eien did translate the RS2 script, just remains in Gideon's hands the rest of the work  :)

Its a good news. How can i contact him? Maybe Eien and Gideon could finish the RS2 translation too.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:42 am »

Of course not, I don't mind what happens on smartphones :) Eien Ni Hen is working hard on the script and it took me about two years of hard work to do all hacking in the ASM code for RS3, so fear not, there will be an English release for SNES soon.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 08:30:43 pm »
Its a good news. How can i contact him? Maybe Eien and Gideon could finish the RS2 translation too.

I wouldn't advise that----Gideon's around here, but I believe his policy is that any time someone asks about progress, he delays things by a month (or something like that).  Besides, as far as I know (and I've been following the RS2 hack), the translation is done, but the game itself has a number of absurd hurdles to overcome as far as the technical side of the hacking.