News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]  (Read 57946 times)

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:15 am »
Hello,

As some of you may know, I worked on an Spanish translation of this great RPG game based on the japanese script mostly. Since the compression scheme I inserted allowed a lot more text than the current english patch (made by Metalhawk), I offered my tools to make a new patch by translating the japanses script from scratch.
A translator joined the project and she began to work in the script a year or so ago.
The script is not fully translated yet, but it is going on.

I'll update this thread with news as soon as I have some free time.

For the time being, here you have some screenshots:

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:22:28 am »
It looks great so far. :)  Thanks for working on an English translation. You did a terrific job with your Spanish translation, and it'll definitely make a lot of people happy that you're continuing this.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:42:58 am »
Seriously this is great. When I saw you're spanish translation I through Hey now someone can do an english one from that o.o low and behold you've come to the rescue once again. Thank you for your hard work! Now all thats left is Romancing saga 2 to get a finished translation. From what I understand the current patch hasn't been changed since 2002, translates most of the menu stuff but only a little dialogue.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:51 am »
Screenshots look really great Magno, keep up the awesome work! Who is translating the game if I may ask?

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:59 am »
Great news. Good luck on your endeavours Magno & Team!

Romancing Saga 3 is a game near and dear to my heart. I remember playing this game to death when I discovered fan-translations and had so much time ahead of me. Because honestly you need an awful lot of time to finish RS3.  :P

IIRC they're 2 english translations: Dragonsoft and Mana Sword. The version I played to my heart"s content was Mana Sword's and I didn't encounter any major problem. I sailed to the ending relatively (the game is **** hard) smoothly and could even play Thomas Business mini-game on my third playthrough.

Maybe the naysayers will tell you that RS3 is a huge leveling session. But in my view the gameplay mechanics, the characters and even the grinding are friggin' mesmerizing.

I've read that Squaresoft rushed the release of the game?!? I can only imagine how perfect it could be if it wasn't rushed!! Also supposedly -I'm not qualified to judge this- the Mana Sword english translation was too litteral. Well despite all these niggles, I had so much fun. If you're the dedicated type, RS3 is a game that keeps on giving. Even to this day there's nothing more satisfying that watching a yellow bulb appearing above one of my characters' head showing that said character has learned a new tech.

Mwaa! Sorry for my ramblings. But just know that if a more faithful english translation is released for Romancing Saga 3, I will rush and grab it like a starving beggar!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:52:22 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

midget35

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:57 am »
Can't wait to play this one. The screenshots look exceptional. Well done, and thank you :)

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:28:01 pm »
Thank you all for your support. I hope you all like the translation when it's finished.

The translator is Eien Ni Hen.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:18:36 pm »
The translator is Eien Ni Hen.

She did a great job on RS2! Looking forward to this.

Are you modifying the sizes of the text boxes at all? RS2 has a thing where a lot of the boxes are of varying sizes. Notably, there's a "Let's go, everyone!" at the very beginning, just before you take control, and it's *tiny.* Resizing these is one of the core tasks remaining in my RS2 project.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:58 pm »
Very much looking forward to this!

Didn't Eien Ni Hen also work on the dds RS1 translation script?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »
From the looks of these screenshots, you're gonna blow the older english translations of this game entirely out of the water. Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:

Are you modifying the sizes of the text boxes at all? RS2 has a thing where a lot of the boxes are of varying sizes. Notably, there's a "Let's go, everyone!" at the very beginning, just before you take control, and it's *tiny.* Resizing these is one of the core tasks remaining in my RS2 project.

I completely forgot you were working an that RS2 project! Keep up the epic progress as well.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:38:42 pm »

Yes; the game engine defines 3 types of boxes, a small one (1 line of text), a medium one (3 lines of text and half the screen width) and a big one (4 lines of text and full screen width) and they are defined at the begining of each dialogue. Besides, there is a customizable type of dialog box, with selectable styles and coordinates on screen.
This is a piece of script where you can see this:

Code: [Select]
<INI 0x3A006C>
<DIALOG_TO_CHARACTER 0x01>
<DIALOG MID BOX 3 LINES>
<DIALOG_TO_OTHER X=0x0A Y=0x01 STYLE=0x23>
<BUBBLE POS=0x07 DOWN TO_RIGHT>
<JMP 0x3B06DE>
<EXEC_CHOICES 0x2F>
<CHOICE 0: 0x3A006E>
<CHOICE 1: 0x3A0070>
<CHOICE 2: <DIALOG_TO_OTHER X=0x0A Y=0x01 STYLE=0x23>>
<BUBBLE POS=0x07 DOWN TO_RIGHT>
Para <CHARACTER 0x80:  Ludwig>, la guerra<NL>
con <CITY 0x01:  Farce> es un mero<NL>
divertimento.<END>

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
I think it is wonderful and admirable of Eien Ni Hen to spend so much of her time on translating this series. I appreciate all her work on these and will definitely play all the games to the end at least once (but likely many times). Also no pressure & take your time.

Thanks to magno for using his expertise beyond his primary goal.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »
Just seeing Eien Ni Hen and Magno working together that means THIS WILL BE WORTH!!!  :thumbsup:

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 07:30:47 pm »
Very much looking forward to this!

Didn't Eien Ni Hen also work on the dds RS1 translation script?

Yep, she turned it into something wonderful. And I was hoping it was Eien Ni Hen when magno said "she". :)

It's great to see the whole Romancing Saga series translations tied by a common thread. Now I'm certain it will be an excellent translation.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:39 pm »
Yet another project I can get excited for----Definitely would love to play RS3 with a proper translation (and RS2 as well when Gideon conquers that)!

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Awesome news! This is one of the titles I'm most interested in. Also, great to know an expert like Eien ni Hen is the translator. ^^

I look forward to the day we will see both RS2 and RS3 fully translated to English. Good luck!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
This is a piece of script where you can see this:

That helps a bit! Thanks!
Now if only I could figure out how to change the box palette. RS2 has some powerful ugly text boxes. I have an unfortunate feeling that it's tied to the background's palette though...

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 05:18:51 am »

That's still coming? I just assumed it got canned when the iOS release came out in English.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:38 am »
That's still coming? I just assumed it got canned when the iOS release came out in English.

Not canned, no. Put off a while so as to not be competing with the mobile version, but not canned.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 07:49:20 am »
Nice, finally a good RS3 translation!
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.